SASS Wire Forum

WANTED: Hopkins & Allen Safety Police Top Break Revolver (Photos)

Rube Burrows

I am looking to purchase an old Hopkins & Allen Safety Police Top Break Revolver like the one pictured here. 

I mostly need a firing pin but would gladly take a parts gun or another working gun that I may use for parts. 

The one in my photos was carried by my grandmother in her purse for many years so it has sentimental value for me. I lost the firing pin many years ago and have tried all the usual places to find one but no luck. 

It will say Safety Police on the top strap along with the patent date info. 

Thanks you. 

IMG_8187.jpg

IMG_8188.jpg

IMG_8189.jpg

• Have you tried  Jack First  gun parts,  I have been working on 6 Iver Johnson' and turned a few firing pins from one I got from them to use for a pattern. 

14 hours ago, Major General Shagnasty said:
  • Have you tried  Jack First  gun parts,  I have been working on 6 Iver Johnson' and turned a few firing pins from one I got from them to use for a pattern. 

Hadn’t heard of them before. I’ll check. Thanks 

• 1 month later...

Still looking for a firing pin for one of these. I have tried every place I know. 

here is what the firing pin looks like. 

D5581247-3393-439C-8E7D-8412F5BA5D4C.png

86ACC36F-7DD1-4AB5-BEA5-9F93FB97F48D.png

Any decent machinest should be able to make you one. You would most likely need to harden it before installing.

I have a Hopkins & Allen double action #6 my grandfather had since he was 14, the main spring on my is broken and I'm guessing smokeless was fired in it since the barrel is split. Always nice to see another person with one. I too wish i could fire the one I have. and have never seen another one in 38 with a blued 2 inch round barrel, they all seem to be nickeled hex barrels for sale. 

18 hours ago, Denali Dan said:

I have a Hopkins & Allen double action #6 my grandfather had since he was 14, the main spring on my is broken and I'm guessing smokeless was fired in it since the barrel is split. Always nice to see another person with one. I too wish i could fire the one I have. and have never seen another one in 38 with a blued 2 inch round barrel, they all seem to be nickeled hex barrels for sale. 

Interesting. Would not mind seeing yours. 

On 2/21/2021 at 12:01 PM, Rube Burrows said:

Hadn’t heard of them before. I’ll check. Thanks 

I have made pins using the "poor man's lathe": a good quality 3/8" portable drill held sideways in a vise. Using numbered drill bits, determine the diameter of the firing pin body. Buy an oversize grade 8 bolt or screw and cut off the head. Chuck the screw in your drill, set a low speed and use a good file to get the screw to the diameter to fit in the firing pin channel. Repeat to get the proper size of the point of the pin. Check the size often. It is much easier to remove metal than it is to replace metal.

It will take you a while, but   it can be done.

I finally found a gunsmith in my area who has enough knowledge and skill to make a pin for it. I will drop it off sometime next week. Most gunsmiths around here don't seem to do any machining. 

Archived