SASS Wire Forum

Winchester/Western Box Dates (44-40)

Savvy Jack

Although the date codes apply to all calibers, I am currently just collecting 44-40 caliber dates.

For years collectors try to play process of elimination to date boxes. Availability in catalogs are a big help but do not really pinpoint dates. The best we can do now is use the stamp codes that seem to be rather consistent.

With this I am narrowing down box design availability dates. Sometimes there is a transition period to thin out surplus boxes. Currently I have been trying to get a beginning date for the 44-40 "Orange Banner" box. Supposedly available from 1983 to 1995, I have found boxes stamp dated as late as Sept 1997. However, so far I am only able to date as early as April 1992 for this caliber.

Untitled1.jpg

With the ammo craze going on right now, I have been able to get many codes from different years. Another box design I have been narrowing down for this caliber is the 1944-1959 Western boxes. Starting in about 1927, I have been able to trace boxes back to 1944. Specifically the K coded boxes between at least 1944 and 1959.

Untitled.png

Complete list is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jy0pGqWPRx2HOQqufbcnEM1lv6tCWBJsCOB8vLIDOIg/edit#gid=1860800684

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Archived