SASS Wire Forum

Primer shortage

CD Tom

With the shortage of pistol primers I'm wondering what's the difference between Large rifle primers and large pistol primers.  I have a couple thousand large rifle primers and wondering if I could use the large rifle primers in place of large pistol primers.

I think you will find LRP to be .010 to .015 thicker than LPP and would potentially cause pistols to jam on high primers and even worse, possible magazine detonations in rifles, so, that would only work if you machined the brass deeper to compensate. you would then have to use LRP in that brass from then on.

That is my understanding of this deal.   Imis

Measure thickness. I heard but have not verified the rifle are .010 taller. I also heard they are harder, and weak springs may not set them off. Isn’t it great to repeat rumors ? 

Edit: all posters above me said the same thing. I should have acted like i knew it all along! :)

Yes, you can use them but it requires extra work and you must inspect the primer height after loading and before using if it extends beyond the case base I wouldn't use it in a rifle.  It also helps to clean the primer pocket before loading so that the primer can seat to the bottom of the case and be extra careful with Federal Primers they are softer and will detonate with the extra pressure used to make sure the primer is seated to the bottom of the case.  I used rifle primers in 45 LC shooting in a Ruger for many years mostly with Winchester cases.    

On 2/19/2021 at 5:13 PM, CD Tom said:

With the shortage of pistol primers I'm wondering what's the difference between Large rifle primers and large pistol primers.  I have a couple thousand large rifle primers and wondering if I could use the large rifle primers in place of large pistol primers.

The answer to this question, like many others, is in any good quality reloading manual.  It's only a lot of reading if you do it.

16 minutes ago, Major Hazzard, SASS #23254 said:

It's only a lot of reading if you do it.

It's not even a lot of reading to look up the use of primers.

good luck, GJ

Archived