SASS Wire Forum

Hunting caps

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Way back when I was a kid my dad had a " base ball cap" with a double crown.  He used it for many years as his hunting hat and it finally got so worn out he scrapped it while I was over seas.  It turned inside out some way and one side was the color of the bill of the hat and the other was red.

Have any of you ever seen one and do any of you know where I could find one in a 7 3/4 size?

Nope, that ain't it.  IIRC the top rear half of the crown would fold over and back.  Inside was red so when you folded it forward both inside red parts would be exposed, but the bill wasn't covered.  It remained tan.  When the top was folded back the entire hat showed tan and the red was out of sight..

I remember those, I think they were made by Filson.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Way back when I was a kid my dad had a " base ball cap" with a double crown.  He used it for many years as his hunting hat and it finally got so worn out he scrapped it while I was over seas.  It turned inside out some way and one side was the color of the bill of the hat and the other was red.

Have any of you ever seen one and do any of you know where I could find one in a 7 3/4 size?

My dad had one just like that in the early 60’s. It was normally carhart tan and turned inside out to red. Have no idea where he got it. I don’t know whatever happened to it nor have I ever seen another one. Just reading your post brought back some good memories of my dad and I hunting. Thanks much!

49 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Like the last one only red instead of orange.  Thanks.

I can likely dye it darker.

I'd really like to get something without some merchant's logo on it.  They don't pay me to shill their product.

I had one - A Jones had - camo on one side (woodland) other side was orange camo.  The state would not let us use orange camo....drat.

STL Suomi

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Like the last one only red instead of orange.  Thanks.

I can likely dye it darker.

I'd really like to get something without some merchant's logo on it.  They don't pay me to shill their product.

It seems to be the way of things now. Logos on display on every piece of apparel no matter where it’s from. Flippin’ annoying. 

Here is an interesting hat from Denmark. 
https://www.pro-outdoor.dk/shop/harkila-pro-hunter-1063196p.html#gallery-1?CookieConsentChanged=1

Archived