SASS Wire Forum

Roy Clark, Malaguena

Subdeacon Joe

Impressive!    Makes you wonder how fast could he run a '73 Win.          GW

I respect Roy Clark's talent and musicianship, but he always seemed to play as though he had a personal grudge against the instrument, like here. I've also always thought the song more appropriately played by finger picking.

40 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I respect Roy Clark's talent and musicianship, but he always seemed to play as though he had a personal grudge against the instrument, like here. I've also always thought the song more appropriately played by finger picking.

He does seem as if he is trying to beat it into submission, doesn't he?  Here he does a bit of both.  I have no idea why the person put the flickering oval on it, very distracting.

Charo is amazing.  For all her "dumb blond" act, she is quite intelligent and talented.  Studied under Andre' Segovia, I believe.

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

He does seem as if he is trying to beat it into submission, doesn't he?  Here he does a bit of both.  I have no idea why the person put the flickering oval on it, very distracting.

Charo is amazing.  For all her "dumb blond" act, she is quite intelligent and talented.  Studied under Andre' Segovia, I believe.

I've seen footage of Roy Clark playing banjo very adroitly, and of him playing a fiddle like he was trying to saw it in half. I'm not sure why it was for him. Like I said, I respect the talent he had.

As for Charo, it is also my understanding she studied under Segovia, and that she is smart and took the "dumb blonde" bit all the way to the bank as well.

21 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I've seen footage of Roy Clark playing banjo very adroitly, and of him playing a fiddle like he was trying to saw it in half. I'm not sure why it was for him. Like I said, I respect the talent he had.

As for Charo, it is also my understanding she studied under Segovia, and that she is smart and took the "dumb blonde" bit all the way to the bank as well.

I think a lot of that depended on his audience or the role he was in.  Here is a Rolling Stone article with several clips of him.   The 3 instrument medley is interesting. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/roy-clark-great-live-performances-757075/

Here's a great clip of Roy and Glen Campbell

Archived