SASS Wire Forum

The Horseshoe Sandwich

DeaconKC

Okay, there is a sandwich that every dietician and nutritionalist in the world agree on, and they all hate it. It is an Illinois invention called the Horseshoe. Picture a grilled Kaiser bun, open face with a big hamburger patty on each. Cover it with mustard, grilled onions, sliced dill pickles, and a slice of tomato. Then drench it in melted cheese and french fries. Optionally, drizzle it with ketchup or Heinz 57.

9 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Okay, there is a sandwich that every dietician and nutritionalist in the world agree on, and they all hate it. It is an Illinois invention called the Horseshoe. Picture a grilled Kaiser bun, open face with a big hamburger patty on each. Cover it with mustard, grilled onions, sliced dill pickles, and a slice of tomato. Then drench it in melted cheese and french fries. Optionally, drizzle it with ketchup or Heinz 57.

John Kerry's wife is the Heinz family, DelMonte or anything but Heinz!

There was a place I used to eat in Florida that had a burger similar to that. The key was the fantastic cheese sauce they made. I wouldn’t eat it today but in my youth, when I was working off calories daily, it was fantastic. Mustard or ketchup would have been pointless.

Being a traditionalist, I fail to see the point of loading my burger, or any other sandwich, with fries, fried eggs, or 

other condiments, outside of butter,  mustard, catsup, or mayonnaise. All it does is bloat the sandwich. 

I understand that it is all going to the same place, but I would like to enjoy it in the process. 

As a transplanted Yankee there is one condiment (?) used here in North Carolina that I just don’t understand.
They put COLESLAW on just about everything. I can not eat Cabbage of any variety without gastronomic discomfort so I never eat the COLESLAW, but I have to order everything “NO SLAW” or it is buried. And they look at me funny, as if I am a Martian or something. Who in their right mind thinks COLESLAW belongs on a Burger. For me it is Burger, Cheese and a Bun, that’s it. Otherwise you can’t taste the meat. If the meat is that bad I don’t want it anyway.

CJ

A good Ruben sandwich is a delight, a good burger next.  We all have different tasters, but to me more is better.  My wife is one of the finest cooks in the world I should weigh 800lbs rather than 240.  If you don't believe stop by at any of the bigger shoots were we are registered but your outlook on food will never be the same.

2 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

As a transplanted Yankee

I suggest you watch an old movie called How to Marry a Millionaire.

Lauren Bacall, Betty Grable, and Marilyn Monroe are three friends that rent an expensive apartment with the plan that within one year at least one of them will marry a millionaire, and take care of the other two.

At the end of the movie, all three girls with their new husbands - only one of which is a millionaire and the bride is unaware of that fact - are sitting at this little hamburger stand having the wedding dinner. There are bowls of coleslaw all up and down the counter and they are all putting coleslaw on their hamburgers. New York City.

how-to-marry-a-millionaire-1953-e1356191

The “sandwich” sounds delicious!!  I’ll have to make me one sometime soon!!

I have my own opinion of what constitutes a cheeseburger and a hamburger and a Reuben as well!!

No need to expound on what is proper!!  Just eat what you like and give others their pleasures as well!!

5 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

As a transplanted Yankee there is one condiment (?) used here in North Carolina that I just don’t understand.
They put COLESLAW on just about everything. I can not eat Cabbage of any variety without gastronomic discomfort so I never eat the COLESLAW, but I have to order everything “NO SLAW” or it is buried. And they look at me funny, as if I am a Martian or something. Who in their right mind thinks COLESLAW belongs on a Burger. For me it is Burger, Cheese and a Bun, that’s it. Otherwise you can’t taste the meat. If the meat is that bad I don’t want it anyway.

CJ

Sort of like you have to say "Unsweetend" when ordering ice tea in the Southeast.  If you don't you get diluted sugar water.

5 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

A good Ruben sandwich is a delight, a good burger next.  We all have different tasters, but to me more is better.  My wife is one of the finest cooks in the world I should weigh 800lbs rather than 240.  If you don't believe stop by at any of the bigger shoots were we are registered but your outlook on food will never be the same.

Reubens are an exception. 

3 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Sort of like you have to say "Unsweetend" when ordering ice tea in the Southeast.  If you don't you get diluted sugar water.

Well HELL!  If you’re gonna drink dirty water it may as well be sweet and cold!!

Dang! I am getting hungry...

The Squeeze Burger from Squeeze Inn

Squeeze Burger
1/3 pound burger, mayonnaise, mustard, lettuce, tomato, pickles, and onions on sesame bun...with a skirt of cheddar cheese. 
http://www.squeezeburger.com/menu.html

image.png.748fb421baef495caaf0d1af8278e1a8.png

Archived