SASS Wire Forum

Alaska woman visits outhouse, bear takes a bite out of her backside

Sedalia Dave

Alaska woman visits outhouse, bear takes a bite out of her backside

In the wilderness, you need to watch your butt sometimes.

An Alaska woman camping with her brother near Chilkat Lake over the weekend nearly had to kiss hers goodbye when she encountered a bear in the outhouse, she told a local radio station.

"I got in there and sat down on the toilet seat, and something just immediately bit me in the butt," Shannon Stevens told the Haines, Alaska-based KHNS Wednesday. "I jumped up and screamed."

The commotion got the attention of her brother, Erik Stevens, who said he ran over to the outhouse.

"I take the headlamp and I grab the lid of the toilet seat and I lift it up," he told the station. "Right at the level of the toilet seat, maybe an inch or two below, is a gigantic bear face looking right back up at me."

The duo ran back to shelter, cleaned up Shannon’s injuries, which were not serious, and hunkered down for the night, the Anchorage Daily News reported. The next morning, they found tracks leading from their campfire to the outhouse, but the bear itself was gone.

They said the animal may have entered below the outhouse through a downhill opening and made its way toward the seat.

Although bear sightings should be minimal during February as the animals hunker down for winter, state biologist Carl Koch told the newspaper that he’d heard of at least two confirmed sightings this month in the Haines area.

Most brown bear sightings occur in the summer, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, coinciding with the salmon spawning season.

As one of my teachers used to say, that's enough to mess up your whole day. My ex's aunt had a squirrel come up the toilet while she was sitting on it. If I had my druthers I'd take the squirrel!

JHC

14 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

As one of my teachers used to say, that's enough to mess up your whole day. My ex's aunt had a squirrel come up the toilet while she was sitting on it. If I had my druthers I'd take the squirrel!

JHC

Yeh, but you do know what squirrels eat?

1 hour ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

JHC

Squirrel in the Toilet:

My family and I went to Alabama from New York State to see my folks. Our next door neighbor, a widow, asked if she might use our house to allow her Daughter and Son in Law to sleep there while visiting her during our absence. Our family was very close to her and she had been ‘adopted’ by our children as “Grandma Jo”, so we said it was okay.

When we returned the house was fine, just as we had expected. The next morning Grandma Jo told my wife, ‘You will not believe what happened while you were gone’. It seems that during the night her SIL went into the bathroom for a short visit. As he approached the toilet, what to his wondering eyes should appear, but squirrel swimming up from the drain. Being a well trained Officer in the USAF he quickly slammed the seat down and placed his foot on top to contain the rodent. Now what was he to do? Looking around the unfamiliar bathroom he noticed the there was a window over the tub right next to the commode. Reaching over to the window he managed to open it without removing his foot from the seat. This window tipped out at the bottom on hinge pins. Once he figured the window was open enough the SIL bent down and at his the squirrel gyrating in the bowl. Timing things just right he opened the lid grabbed the squirrel by the tail and whipped him out the window opening. Now since the window was a tilt out affair the squirrel bounced off the glass and went straight down to the ground. The next morning no one in his family would believe his story, until the dead squirrel, with a broken neck, was found outside on the ground just below the bathroom window”.

Naturally this adventure story made my wife nervous about late night visits to the relief station. However, all was not lost. Two or three days after we returned to the scene of the swimming squirrel, my wife was in the local grocery store on line to check out. There she related the story to a friend ahead of her in line. An older woman behind my wife heard he tale and interjected, “My dear I know what you are saying is true. You see my husband is a plumber and he has run across this behavior in the past. The problem is caused by the modern plastic piping used for drains these days. In the past squirrels were known to enter the sewer vent pipe that sticks up through every roof. When the pipes were cast iron there was enough rough surface for the squirrels to climb out again. With the advent of plastic piping they cannot get enough traction to climb so they take the first lateral pipe they can get into. This is usually a toilet drain. The solution to your problem is to have your husband stretch some half inch hardware cloth. (1/2” wire screening) over the vent pipe where it exits the roof and screw it down so that it can’t be lifted off. That will keep squirrels out of your drain pipes.”

So when we sold the house years later the buyers asked about the screen over the vent pipe (I thought the fellow was pretty observant as I’d more or less forgotten about it). I told him the story and his wife was a little put off until my wife told her “That happened 15 years ago, we haven’t had a squirrel in our toilet since”. The house sold and I’m told by some of our former neighbors there haven’t been reports of squirrels in the toilet since.

That’s the truth and I’m sticking too it!

Archived