SASS Wire Forum

Y'all ever make a chili burger?

Alpo

I got some frozen breaded chicken patties. I'll nuke me a couple of them, and melt a slice of American cheese on top. Put some barbecue sauce on a hamburger bun, and set that chicken patty on the sauce. Makes it pretty good, quick, sandwich.

Last night I got to thinking about, instead of using a piece of cheese and barbecue sauce, heating up a can of chili and spooning some of the chili on top of the chicken patty. Like making a chili dog, but not with a hot dog.

Then I got to thinking - how about just putting the chili on the bun? No chicken patty. Then melting a slice of cheese on top of the chili, to sort of hold it in place when I bit.

Doesn't seem like it would be a whole lot different from a barbecue sandwich, or a sloppy joe. Just a little different flavor.

I have not tried these - either one of them - but the thoughts keep coming in to my head.

Just wondered if anyone else had given that a try?

I don't really toast them, cause that makes them too crunchy. But I do have them in the toaster oven on warm, because I prefer that to room temperature out of the sack.

I just had lunch two and a half hours late, and I tried the chili burgers. Not too bad. Absolutely not a "put the plate in your lap and lean back in your recliner and eat the sandwich" meal. That would have been a mess. This is a "leave the plate on the counter and eat it standing up and bent over, so all the stuff that falls out lands in the plate, and you can clean it up later with a spoon" meal

Howdy,

There is a special recepie for chili for chili dogs.

Put some on a burger? Why didnt I think of that???

I just dont remember anywhere selling chili burgers dont know why.

I guess cause chili has meat in it.....a bit redundant.

Chili's is a food chain and they have a chili burger. Pix look terrific.

I wonder if they are open?

Best

CR

2 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

no, but dont see why it wouldn't work.  Instead of regular bread, use cornbread!

I make taco burgers occasionally, all the stuff that goes on a taco, just on a hamburger bun.

When we lived in Kansas - 40 years ago, the lunch room served tacos the best they knew how.  They place the taco fixings in an Ice Cream Cone.  My kids thought that to be quite amusing.  I thought i to be quite clever - make do with what you got.  :-)

STL Suomi

4 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

no, but dont see why it wouldn't work.  Instead of regular bread, use cornbread!

I make taco burgers occasionally, all the stuff that goes on a taco, just on a hamburger bun.

Try putting cornbread mix in waffle iron, then serve with a scoop of chilli on top     GW

2 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Maybe it is a regional thing.  Almost everyplace sells chili burgers around here.

On Sanford and Son, which took place in Watts in LA, they frequently mentioned the Fatburger. Saw such and such a girl down at the Fatburger stand.

I don't know what a Fatburger is, but it doesn't sound very good.

Growing up, there were a couple of restaurants locally that had chili burgers on the menu.  It was an open face cheeseburger with chili spooned over the sandwich until it ran down the sides.  Sometimes served with chili cheese fries for extra heartburn.  Dessert was a bowl of Tums with whipped topping.  

When I was a kid, we used Hormel brick chili for chili dogs & burgers. I don’t think they make such a thing anymore but it sure was good when we were kids growing up!

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

I got some frozen breaded chicken patties. I'll nuke me a couple of them, and melt a slice of American cheese on top. Put some barbecue sauce on a hamburger bun, and set that chicken patty on the sauce. Makes it pretty good, quick, sandwich.

Last night I got to thinking about, instead of using a piece of cheese and barbecue sauce, heating up a can of chili and spooning some of the chili on top of the chicken patty. Like making a chili dog, but not with a hot dog.

Then I got to thinking - how about just putting the chili on the bun? No chicken patty. Then melting a slice of cheese on top of the chili, to sort of hold it in place when I bit.

Doesn't seem like it would be a whole lot different from a barbecue sandwich, or a sloppy joe. Just a little different flavor.

I have not tried these - either one of them - but the thoughts keep coming in to my head.

Just wondered if anyone else had given that a try?

Called them FFs....fart fuel.....when I was in college.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

On Sanford and Son, which took place in Watts in LA, they frequently mentioned the Fatburger. Saw such and such a girl down at the Fatburger stand.

I don't know what a Fatburger is, but it doesn't sound very good.

You eat frozen chicken patties and canned chili but Fatburger doesn’t sound very good? :lol::lol::lol:

6 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Put some on a burger? Why didnt I think of that???

I just dont remember anywhere selling chili burgers dont know why.

I was getting chili dogs and chili burgers back in the 1970s when I was going to school in Carlisle, PA.

Ever have a Chili Size?

Open face hamburger smothered in chili. The first time I had one was in Globe Arizona when I was a kid. I love em. 
Take a hamburger bun and lay both halves open on a deep plate. Put a grilled hamburger patty on each bun half then smother with good chili. You can add onions and cheese if you like but I don’t. 
It’s best served with crispy french fries or I also like em with Frito’s corn chips. 

Archived