SASS Wire Forum

Chaparral Repeating Arms 1873 lever---UPDATED

Doc Nelson #19958

What can anyone tell me about this rifle? I thought it was an Uberti, older one but that isn't the case. 

Specifically, does anyone know how interchangeable the parts are with Uberti? Short Stroke Kit? Springs? Looking at the bolt and thinking it may need some help for extraction but I haven't shot it. 45 caliber.

I just never recall hearing about this maker but my memory.....

Doc Nelson

Ok, so this is a 4 digit Chaparral Repeating Arms 1873 in .45, first digits being 01xx. Uberti parts do fit, and I did test fit a short stroke in it and it was functional but I did not bother to actually time it. I did weld up and file down the bolt face for reliable extraction  and this required it to be timed. I don't think it was ever properly timed and the bolt showed the wear. That and some JB weld to take the slop out of the magazine mount(s) and some cosmetics on the wood and it seems functional. I only replaced the main spring with one I had ground down and I also ground the lifter and lever springs. 

It will never be a race gun but for family members just getting into the sport it should be an enjoyable shooting experience for them.

If you get the chance on one of these, PASS! This was more of a project than anyone would want.

Doc 

I have one in .45 that I bought for my wife which was used but now uses a Uberti .38

Has a pioneer kit  fitted & a general slick up, would never have bought it had I known the work & $$ that had to be  spent to achieve a reliable rifle, it now sits in the safe . Selling would result in a big loss, not a gun that I would endorse..find a Uberti & you will be much happier !!!!!

Unfortunately, you already have it.  The Chaparral are/were crap.  If yours works, consider yourself hugely lucky.  The guns were made in the same plant that spawned Armi San Marco.  Quality Control was nonexistent.  There are no Parts.  Often, just making one run cost more than the original purchase price.  Chaparral folded rather quickly.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Unfortunately, you already have it.  The Chaparral are/were crap.  If yours works, consider yourself hugely lucky.  The guns were made in the same plant that spawned Armi San Marco.  Quality Control was nonexistent.  There are no Parts.  Often, just making one run cost more than the original purchase price.  Chaparral folded rather quickly.

The guns turned out by "Chaparral" started out lousy and got worse. Their initial quality control was non-existent and they found a way to get worse. The "replacement" parts were worse than original and mostly wouldn't fit.

When I started in SASS we had a just built a Frontier Town and Chaparral offered to sponsor our club.  A couple new shooters bought their Chaparral rifles.  They really looked nice, but not a single one worked for very long.  Two shooters were so frustrated they quit shooting and have never come back.  When I bought my Uberti 66, the seller said he knew of a warehouse full of Chaparrals if I was interested in a cheaper rifle.  Evidently most of these were returns to the sellers for repairs, but couldn't be repaired.

I have two Chaparrals.  One works like a dream, after some work, and one is still a work in progress.  They are no short stroke kits for them.  Original Winchester parts can be fitted into a Chappy without a lot of effort.  

A Chaparrel  40-60 .... bought one and it was a nightmare to get it to be a repeating lever action.  The bolt, lifter arms were totally made and installed wrong. Drove  to Charter Arms, Service Center in CT and spent a half day picking and changing parts.  Accuracy though? Excellent out to 200 yds, MOA groups

• Doc Nelson #19958 changed the title to Chaparral Repeating Arms 1873 lever---UPDATED

Archived