SASS Wire Forum

WTB Youth 22 to get started

Not letting go of mine, but I cannot recommend the Henry highly enough. They even make a youth model that you can replace the short buttstock later on as he gets bigger.

Yes a Henery all the way every day. But buy it from Widder with his custom action job and you will be amazed how mutch  faster and smoother it is compared to a factory Henery. Enjoy watching the boy shoot!

My 9 year old son and I recently started in the game and I bought him a Henry lever 22. Got a youth stock from the factory and he shoots it great!  Based on Oak Creek’s post above I’ll have to look into the Widder action job but I will say it runs pretty well out of the box.  Good luck on your hunt. 

JJ

10 hours ago, Noah Comprende, SASS #71911 said:

I’m looking for a youth model 22 rifle to get my son started shooting.  He is 10 years old.  I’m thinking of a Henry, but would consider other choices.  Anyone have one they would like to sell?

Thanks,

Noah Comprende 

If this gun is for SASS then the above info will be good.  But if you are only interested in a good starter gun for general shooting then you might want to consider the Savage Rascal single shot bolt action gun.  It is a youth gun with a 11" LOP and weighs under 3 pounds.  I got one for my 10 year old grand kid and the 3rd time he shot it he looked up at his father and said " boy this is fun"  They are under $200 and come in a bunch of colors.

11 hours ago, oak creek martin said:

Yes a Henery all the way every day. But buy it from Widder with his custom action job and you will be amazed how mutch  faster and smoother it is compared to a factory Henery. Enjoy watching the boy shoot!

+10

19 hours ago, oak creek martin said:

Where would I look to find one done up by Widder?  Is there a website?

14 hours ago, Noah Comprende, SASS #71911 said:

PM him here @Widder, SASS #59054, have his buddy Slater do the trigger too. What a difference their work makes. Great Pards too!

On 2/18/2021 at 5:47 PM, Noah Comprende, SASS #71911 said:

If you make it to morristown or kimbal I can show you how to short stroke a Henry

The short stroke is only part of it. The trigger job is extremely important. Once we got ours done I’d let some adults at the monthly match shoot it and they all bought golden boys from winter. It’s amazing

On 2/18/2021 at 5:47 PM, Noah Comprende, SASS #71911 said:

Do a google search for Slater's In House Guns. You'll get Slater's contact info. I have a Henry 22 that Widder and Slater worked over. It's a work of art. Widder & Slater are trustworthy pards to deal with. @Widder, SASS #59054 @Slater's In House Guns  Don't tell them Chickamauga Slim said howdy, it might cost ya' extra! And be patient, last I heard Widder was at the range trying to slow his shotgun runs enough that spotters could see them. 

I wouldn't be too fast on having a Henry reworked.  When my Frontier model arrived and I worked the action outta the box, I thought I  was going to send it back because  it was broke,  Turns out it was slick as silicone right off the bat.  My experience anyway, not putting anyones work down,  just might save you a couple bucks.

Al

I do not have one to sell.  Sorry.

My 10 yr old grandson shooter, Luke the Duke, shoots a Browning BL22.   I picked it up for maybe $200.   It is VERY short stroke right out of the box, maybe a 2 inch stroke.    But....because of that the lever action is stiff, takes some getting used to.  There is really no way to race the gun up that is worth the expense.  It is also a fairly complicated gun to disassemble and reassemble, but really never needs to be. 

Luke tried a Henry Youth back to back with his Browning, as I thought he might like the Henry better.  Wasn't even close, he kept his Browning.

Maybe you can find one to check out.  

Not to say the Henry is not a very fine rifle for a Buckaroo.

We're in Arkansas, if you can get to one of our shoots your Buckaroo can check it out for a match.  

Good luck finding the gun you need. 

Archived