SASS Wire Forum

APP 2F

El CupAJoe

Anyone try APP 2F in your pistols?  I'm having a hard time finding 3F and I found 2F locally.  Please advise.

It should work fine, just be a slightly lighter charge.  Fill the cases just a tiny bit more, and then when you seat the bullets, it will crush down a little bit more, and you will be just about the same as 3F.  The larger granuals just means there is more air space in a loosely filled case.

5 minutes ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

It should work fine, just be a slightly lighter charge.  Fill the cases just a tiny bit more, and then when you seat the bullets, it will crush down a little bit more, and you will be just about the same as 3F.  The larger granuals just means there is more air space in a loosely filled case.

Yup.

Does fine.

It doesn't feed as well through the Dillon as the fff, but still gives no issue.

Plenty of punch and smoke.

3F is all I have used for 38-40.  I load with my 550 and use dippers for the powder and filler in the middle of the loading cycle.

1 hour ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

Works fine in my 45 Schofield brass, I usually use 3f in my 38s but like you hard to find so I loaded some 2f in my 38s. Not sure how it is going to work. 

Rafe 

We have never had an issue with it in .38

USFA Rodeos or Vaqueros (original or new)

Use 2f interchangeably with 3f.  Although, 2f has somewhat more inconsistent granule size and will give you fits thru a DILLON powder measure, as it will bridge.  For pistol cartridges I scoop APP 2f.  Works a treat.  I also run 2f in Magtech 12Ga.  It will be a tad lighter recoiling but will run fine.  As with any APP, don't compress it.

I loaded 2f APP in my wife’s .38s for years (1cc) and they shot great.

I made the mistake of running it through a Dillon powder measure once, and I would just as soon pour in pumice or fine gravel before doing that again.  The grit was terrible in the measure, and since it was a later model measure, the mechanical linkage reset the powder measure after the casing disengaged from the expander/funnel, so the fines went everywhere.  I stick with Lee dippers for APP, Pinnacle, or BlackMZ since then.

I'm with Sedalia Dave, only thing I use 3f for is my Cap & Ball..... 2F clogs up in my Flask.

Although..... I have mixed 2F & 3F together and that does meter through my Flask OK....

I load exclusively with paper cartridges so I should be okay then.  Thank you all for your responses!

I use APP 3F to load 38's with my 1050. I wipe the powder hopper with a dryer sheet & run the powder thru a strainer before loading. I also use a powder check & a Mr. BulletFeeder. I don't use filler. My wife has shot many BP matches, & I have shot a few with zero problems.

I load her 32's with 777 on a 650, incl powder measure. The APP will not load thru the 32 powder measure, but the 777 works fine, also with no filler (of course there really isn't much or any room for filler with the 32's anyway). I also use 777 for shotshells thru a MEC 9000. When I use all of the APP, I'm going to use 777 for the 38's also.

My BP loading life has become much simpler & takes a fraction of the time it used to take with dippers & filler.

Archived