SASS Wire Forum

Old West photos

Tex Jones, SASS 2263

I know I don't like to see them in color. Just like when Ted Turner colorized all them old black and white movies. Worthless scum. At least when Casablanca comes on TV in color I can turn the color off and watch it like it's supposed to be. When somebody has colorized that picture of Theodore Roosevelt (he despised being called Teddy), you're just stuck with it.

And that woman with the deer is holding a rifle, not a shotgun. I don't know whether that stupid statement is because they are a newspaper because they are British.

Reminds me of the early days of Color TV ~ the colors are overly exaggerated to a point where it's beyond realistic.  B)

On 2/17/2021 at 3:22 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Reminds me of the early days of Color TV ~ the colors are overly exaggerated to a point where it's beyond realistic.  B)

Very true. Almost looks like kids with crayons did them.

On 2/17/2021 at 2:12 PM, Alpo said:

I know I don't like to see them in color. Just like when Ted Turner colorized all them old black and white movies. Worthless scum. At least when Casablanca comes on TV in color I can turn the color off and watch it like it's supposed to be. When somebody has colorized that picture of Theodore Roosevelt (he despised being called Teddy), you're just stuck with it.

And that woman with the deer is holding a rifle, not a shotgun. I don't know whether that stupid statement is because they are a newspaper because they are British.

The caption says "the gun", not shotgun. At least that's the way it reads in the version on my screen. Might have been edited after you saw it?

Agree about the colorizing. An abomination.

"Another picture shows on of the first woman hunters in America Augusta 'Gusty' Higgins Farnham standing with a shotgun next to a deer she shot dead."

I see they don't know how to spell the word one.

"Myra Maybelle Shirley Reed Starr" . If they were going to list all of Belle's names, I wonder why they didn't add Duck, since she was married to a man named Blue Duck.

This is very poor colorization. Contemporary AI-assisted colorization is very realistic now.

Except in the case of black-and-white movies, I don't see colorization as an 'abomination'.

On Youtube now you can see many old film clips, street scenes and the like (not cinema firm), fixed up to proper speed and AI colorized. They are very impressive.  You see the 'reality', just like our own reality, rather than the jerky b&w that somehow makes it seems like the past is a very different and distant place. It has quite an impact.

The recent great example of this is Peter Jackson's 'They Shall Not Grow Old'; the WWI film footage.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

"Another picture shows on of the first woman hunters in America Augusta 'Gusty' Higgins Farnham standing with a shotgun next to a deer she shot dead."

I see they don't know how to spell the word one.

"Myra Maybelle Shirley Reed Starr" . If they were going to list all of Belle's names, I wonder why they didn't add Duck, since she was married to a man named Blue Duck.

Aha, missed the captions above the pics

The one of Belle Starr was interesting, taken after she was arrested? Nice they left her armed. Also she was shot AFTER she fell of her horse? Hmmmmm.......

Archived