SASS Wire Forum

END of TRAIL 2021 Attendance Breakdown by SASS Florida

The Outlaw Travis James

I have seen a lot of conversations pondering where the most attendance will come from for EoT this year.  So I took the Who's Coming List released by SASS HQ yesterday (2/16/21) and did a little analysis.  Check it out and let me know what you think.  

EoT Attendance Breakdown 2-17-21.pdf

Thank you for that breakdown. Does anyone have a similar one for previous years? It would make an interesting comparison.

15 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Thank you for that breakdown. Does anyone have a similar one for previous years? It would make an interesting comparison.

Not yet.  I am waiting for the final list to be released before doing that.  

9 minutes ago, Runamuck, SASS #49216L said:

Won’t open, messages says “unavailable“

try this https://www.facebook.com/groups/sassfl/permalink/1719382394906873/ 

17 minutes ago, The Outlaw Travis James said:

I have seen a lot of conversations pondering where the most attendance will come from for EoT this year.  So I took the Who's Coming List released by SASS HQ yesterday (2/16/21) and did a little analysis.  Check it out and let me know what you think.  

EoT Attendance Breakdown 2-17-21.pdf 64.39 kB · 12 downloads

Nicely Done!  Looks like you Floridians were quick on the draw as usual!  I suspect that the 3 Marylanders that made the cut were from the "Holds" from the cancelled match.  I don't know of anyone local that got through the registration system, but that is just a guess. Glad to see so many Easterners get a chance to participate at EOT.

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Interesting in several aspects. I am still an advocate of a rotating "World" Championship. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

Or at least a Big Multi Day Annual in the east along the lines of Mule Camp.

Just now, The Outlaw Travis James said:

Or at least a Big Multi Day Annual in the east along the lines of Mule Camp.

It's really a shame that SASS killed the Divisional matches when they did.  Never really gave us a reason why, but the did.  After a rocky start, I personally believe that we were really starting to get it moving and the responses from the shooters the last two years were extremely positive.  While not centrally located in the Eastern Division, it was about halfway up the coast.  The range had camping with hookups for over 50, plus other camping, it had hosted 400+ shooters, when it was a Regional back in the heyday of SASS, and had the potential to do that again.  There were hotels near by, and the local town had just finished building a new facility about 6 miles from the range that could host a banquet with up to 1000.  We were even talking about plans to expand the range from 10 to 12 bays so we could get to the 3 flights, for 3 days, format of EOT and Winter Range.  Just needed a better date as October weather is notoriously unpredictable here.

But that is all water under the bridge.  For me, I will be looking at going to Land Run, the National Championship in the future as that is only a two day journey (one if I am properly caffeinated and my kidneys don't give out!)  EOT is far less likely if it remains in Phoenix, it's just a bit too far. 

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Interesting in several aspects. I am still an advocate of a rotating "World" Championship. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out.

Maybe this is the time to move EOT around the country and possible promote the sport, like many have stated in the past.  Having EOT within 700? miles or so every 4 years is a better choice.  Doing so allows some to attend who would never attend due to distance, and others the opportunity to visit the other clubs in our sport.

New England (ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT) got 4 shooters in and those were all from CT.

On to EOT in Phoenix in early March 2022 ...

13 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Looks like most of us Tennesseans were too slow!!

Randy

Yep I tried several times on the internet. Ended up faxing app.

22 hours ago, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

It's really a shame that SASS killed the Divisional matches when they did.  Never really gave us a reason why, but the did.  After a rocky start, I personally believe that we were really starting to get it moving and the responses from the shooters the last two years were extremely positive.  While not centrally located in the Eastern Division, it was about halfway up the coast.  The range had camping with hookups for over 50, plus other camping, it had hosted 400+ shooters, when it was a Regional back in the heyday of SASS, and had the potential to do that again.  There were hotels near by, and the local town had just finished building a new facility about 6 miles from the range that could host a banquet with up to 1000.  We were even talking about plans to expand the range from 10 to 12 bays so we could get to the 3 flights, for 3 days, format of EOT and Winter Range.  Just needed a better date as October weather is notoriously unpredictable here.

But that is all water under the bridge.  For me, I will be looking at going to Land Run, the National Championship in the future as that is only a two day journey (one if I am properly caffeinated and my kidneys don't give out!)  EOT is far less likely if it remains in Phoenix, it's just a bit too far. 

I think the main reason for the Divisionals failure was there are just to many clubs already having large established annuals all around the country, so to throw in three or four other large matches into an already loaded up schedule, they were destined to fail from the start. When we had to cancel our annual match in 2020 because of Covid we literally could not find another weekend the whole year that wasnt already taken by a fairly large annual, and that was just in our region.

Im sure other clubs had the same problem, there just isnt enough weekends in a year to try and get all already established annuals completed.

Do all you can to get to Land Run, it is a spectacular match at a fantastic club, it will be well worth the trip, always a great match, guaranteed not to disappoint ...CoJack

23 minutes ago, COLORADO JACKSON said:

I think the main reason for the Divisionals failure was there are just to many clubs already having large established annuals all around the country, so to throw in three or four other large matches into an already loaded up schedule, they were destined to fail from the start. When we had to cancel our annual match in 2020 because of Covid we literally could not find another weekend the whole year that wasnt already taken by a fairly large annual, and that was just in our region.

Im sure other clubs had the same problem, there just isnt enough weekends in a year to try and get all already established annuals completed.

Do all you can to get to Land Run, it is a spectacular match at a fantastic club, it will be well worth the trip, always a great match, guaranteed not to disappoint ...CoJack

No question about that.  I stuggled trying to move our Annual (as well as monthly matches) to a new weekend for several years because when SASS move EOT, back in '09 or '10 (I'd have to look it up) they dropped it right on top of our Annual which was also the MD State match.  When an area club shut down in 2019, we move to their old weekend.  Then 2020 happened and then SASS moved EOT again.

Not sure how to balance the desire of folks for big matches with the issue on scheduling.  There are only so many weekends, only so many shooters with only so much disposable income, and these days, only so many primers! :P

On 2/17/2021 at 12:51 PM, Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L said:

Nicely Done!  Looks like you Floridians were quick on the draw as usual!  I suspect that the 3 Marylanders that made the cut were from the "Holds" from the cancelled match.  I don't know of anyone local that got through the registration system, but that is just a guess. Glad to see so many Easterners get a chance to participate at EOT.

We were visiting our daughter, her husband and 17 month old grandson in Baltimore (Arbutus actually) that morning, and I got through. It was a bear though!!

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Dick, SASS #12880 said:

We were visiting our daughter, her husband and 17 month old grandson in Baltimore (Arbutus actually) that morning, and I got through. It was a bear though!!

Glad you made it in!  I will consider you a pseudo-Maryland entrant.  Not a full Marylander though, no one deserves that!  :P

Archived