SASS Wire Forum

Stop. Hammer time.

Shakes Peare

So my first SA gun is a Cimarron Thunderball 357 4.75inch (made by pietta)

my second will be the Alchimista III (also a pietta).

The low -wide hammer is a have to have. I have rad pietta's are reasonably good with part swapping. Anyone have experience upgrading hammers?

Is it too hard to do? Anything I should be careful of or looking for? For instance, could it really be as simple as locating an alchimista hammer for the thunderball and swapping it (or having a gunsmith do it?

Last, any recommendations for where to look? I have seen parts available, just dont want mess my first cowboy shooter up.

The parts should interchange if your in doubt call EMF and they let you know first hand.  I changed both hammers on my El Malo’s, after the first match I realized that they were out of time.  Once I figured out what was wrong, with the help of pards here on the Wire, it was just a matter of removing the hand (pawl) and stretching it out just a little.  Simple enough to do with a little patience, but if you’re worried you can always buy an extra hand or two, they’re cheap enough.  Since then the guns have run like a sewing machine only louder. :lol:

5 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

The parts should interchange if your in doubt call EMF and they let you know first hand.  I changed both hammers on my El Malo’s, after the first match I realized that they were out of time.  Once I figured out what was wrong, with the help of pards here on the Wire, it was just a matter of removing the hand (pawl) and stretching it out just a little.  Simple enough to do with a little patience, but if you’re worried you can always buy an extra hand or two, they’re cheap enough.  Since then the guns have run like a sewing machine only louder. :lol:

Those El Malos of yours sure are sweet little shooters!

I've switched hammers on my Pietta C&B pistols...Piece of cake.  Toughest part is finding the low profile hammer.  Adjusting the hand is easy too if you go slow and check timing often as you go.

Archived