SASS Wire Forum

Foods etc you liked as a kid and can't stand now (fliip side of the other thread)

25 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I could make a pretty long list. Two for starters are Spaghetti O's and Peeps.

JHC

Yep. 

Those 2 and canned ravioli, pretty much canned anything. 

Cocoa Wheats.  Used to love them.  Now I can't stand the taste or texture.

Circus peanuts.  I ate a whole bag once.  Won't do that again.

I never could do canned pasta.  I'm not sure Spaghettio's are pasta.  Those little Os never break down.  I get a hankering for them once in a great while but I have to be really hungry.

I used to like Jello.  I still like Jello (cherry flavored) with sliced bananas, or if it has fruit cocktail in it, but Jello - lime flavored with shredded carrots in it got the best of me when I went to the university.  No more in my life unless at gun point will I eat that.

Ring bologna - my dad liked it.  It was inexpensive so it appeared more frequently that I liked.  Haven't had it since I left home.  Strange, my little sister loved it - go figure.

I used to love chicken.  Roast chicken my grandmother made or my mom made.  Somewhere along the line in the university I found a great dislike for it.  I like the wings that my wife makes, crispy and tasty butter basted, but the rest I can pass on.  Still liked the stuffing though. :-)

STL Suomi

Peeps and those neon orange Circus Peanuts...

Any soft drink that is not diet. Way too sugary for me now.

Rolo candy. Used to eat these by the roll at the movies. No hankerin' for candy anymore.

Dinty Moore beef stew. Another thing mom used to make me for lunch. Tried some a few years ago, NOT the same product.

Oooh yuck! I remembered some more. Spam

Vienna Sausages

Underwood Deviled Ham

Vlasic pickles

All cereals

Maypo

Cream of wheat

Cocoa Wheat 

Pimento loaf (welfare lunch meat)

Margarine of any kind

White Chocolate - liked it as a small child, now find it to be disgusting. But then prefer dark chocolate now to milk chocolate. Maybe life gave me a taste of the bitter for this body, thankfully Christ saved my soul.

Howdy,

I used to love adding salt to almost everything.

Then as an adult I saw my Dad didnt add salt due to docs orders.

So I saw him lookin at me salting food and I stopped salting.

Funny thing food started tasting more like FOOD and less like salt.

Now my doc says no salt but it doesnt bother me too much.

I have to beg some places to not salt fries.

The bury fries in salt. 

I watched one fella salt three batches of fries after I ordered no salt.

He was actually cussing himself for salting when he didnt want to.

Muscle memory can be very strong.

Best

CR

Nothing.

My mom was an excellent cook, and everything was yummy.
However, 1950s Sugar Frosted Flakes put a lot of silver, eventual crowns and root canals into my mouth.

Everything I enjoyed as a kid is now verboten because they are loaded with carbs and send my blood sugar into orbit.
No more cereals, pancakes, potatoes, rice, corn, ice cream, pudding, pies, pasta...
If I can't kill it and eat it, or pick it from a tree or a bush... I can't eat it anymore.

The one thing I hated as a kid was Lima beans... love 'em today... can't eat them because of the above orbital launch characteristics.

On the flip side, tri-tip is a weekly staple in the house, along with lemon chicken, ribs, chops and rib-eyes (now that my kids moved out).
The Instant Pot makes dandy hard boiled eggs in just a few minutes, and they peel perfectly.

The good news: I'm already down 10 pounds...
I saw Jimmy Frisco at the last match... he is down a whopping 40 pounds... lookin' good Jimmy!

Archived