SASS Wire Forum

Getting and staying prepared is not expensive.

The Hero of Canton

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Problem is that in “advancing” we discard a lot of the basic knowledge and experience from the past as obsolete and no longer necessary.
Why should I know how to bait a hook? The supermarket is just 2 blocks away. 

Change a tire? Triple A is a phone vcall away.

Best thing that ever happened was the AAA tire-changing service! I changed a whole lot of tires in my time. But not for the last 20 years or so....I could if I had to...

Heck, my Toyota Sienna doesn't even have a spare. 'Run flat' tires.....

8 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I had a co-worker. He lived in a singles apartment on the beach. Probably a third of his paycheck went to his rent. He had a new truck. Another third of his paycheck went to truck payments. He said when the race war happened he was going to come to my house, because I had guns and ammunition.

I've heard that one a lot, and I always say, "This is absolutely the last place you want to come to".

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

A survival board I used to be on many years back.

Someone posted the question - what would you do? The fecal matter has seriously struck the rotary oscillator. The power is off. The trucks are not running to the grocery store, so the grocery store sold out quickly.

Somebody calls a neighborhood meeting, and declaring himself the chairman announces that what we need to do is go through everyone's house and make an inventory of what everyone has, so it can be shared out equally to what everyone needs. What would you do? Would you show them your preps? Would you show them some of your preps? Would you tell them that you were in the same boat as the rest of them, that you didn't have anything, and you really needed some supplies?

I said I would shoot him in the face, and then tell the stunned neighbors that it was idiots like that that had got us into this problem.

Nobody seem to think that was a good idea.

I had a co-worker. He lived in a singles apartment on the beach. Probably a third of his paycheck went to his rent. He had a new truck. Another third of his paycheck went to truck payments. He said when the race war happened he was going to come to my house, because I had guns and ammunition.

I told him if the race war happened and he showed up at my house I would shoot him dead and drag his body out into the street for the feral cats and raccoons to eat.

I don't know if he ever started preparing for disaster, but he never again suggested living off me.

Reminds me of a twilight zone episode.  Everyone knew one guy had a shelter and water and food.  All the neighbors were close friends and played cards together etc.  Then after playing cards the radio said go take shelter due to a nuclear attack.  Suddenly every formerly friendly neighbor was beating down the metal door to his shelter.  Nobody bothered to prepare at all, but him.  The episode ended with violence and a false alarm.  

Lesson:  tell no one what you have but encourage others to prepare.  

When the power is out too long , I make sure outside lights are off so it is not so obvious even though I live at the end of a dirt road and third of a Mile from the Mail box.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Somebody calls a neighborhood meeting, and declaring himself the chairman announces that what we need to do is go through everyone's house and make an inventory of what everyone has, so it can be shared out equally to what everyone needs. What would you do? Would you show them your preps? Would you show them some of your preps? Would you tell them that you were in the same boat as the rest of them, that you didn't have anything, and you really needed some supplies?

I would put the kaibosh to it immediately. There is no way I would participate in a kangaroo court like this. I wouldn’t tell them anything if it is the neighborhood I live in now. 

Where I lived in Oregon? I absolutely would help out where I could. No one would be assessing what I have for their needs but I would help out. Of course, my neighbors in Oregon wouldn’t float such a stupid idea in the first place. But I could  see the self absorbed self-righteous &$@holes I live near now pulling that crap. 

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

...Somebody calls a neighborhood meeting, and declaring himself the chairman announces that what we need to do is go through everyone's house and make an inventory of what everyone has, so it can be shared out equally to what everyone needs. What would you do? Would you show them your preps? Would you show them some of your preps? Would you tell them that you were in the same boat as the rest of them, that you didn't have anything, and you really needed some supplies?  I said I would shoot him in the face, and then tell the stunned neighbors that it was idiots like that that had got us into this problem.

...I had a co-worker. He lived in a singles apartment on the beach. Probably a third of his paycheck went to his rent. He had a new truck. Another third of his paycheck went to truck payments. He said when the race war happened he was going to come to my house, because I had guns and ammunition...

Your plan sounds viable to me!  :ph34r:

Had a family member tell me the same thing about coming to my house.  Told them I wouldn't be home because I would be heading to their house!  ;)  They never mentioned it again. :D

I get a lot of 'coming to your place for the end of the world' I tell em bring supplies and skills I won't have time or space for freeloaders.

Can't go it alone, besides preps you should be building community. Teach where they need it and learn where you can. 

It really helps to be able to share the burden with people you can trust, ya know like neighbors. 

A hot shower and a meal, even if its stew or soup when they don't have can make a whole lot of headway into getting them to listen to your point of view. Just remember ther are makers fakers and takers in this world. And a man oughta be able to take care of his family.

Just remember pepper's are mostly interested in limiting the inconvenience and interruption in their lifestyle. Survivors have a different mind and skillset

6 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Stool, toilet or water closet.  All depends on what part of the country y'all are from.

I've heard stool. You forgot throne.

5 hours ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

The BIGGEST joy of living "off the grid" .  CQ and I have been off the grid for 25+ years now. Keep 3 years of diesel, 2 years of propane, At least 3 months of water above ground (have a well a mile away but 10,000 gallons of storage tanks above ground.)  Have at least a months worth of easy food and almost a year's worth MRE's, freeze dried, etc. in cold underground storage if things get really bad. Have 4 diesel generators, 4 gas generators, plenty of solar panels and 2 48 volt 500 amp hour battery banks. (one at each location on the property) Satellite internet and TV so live pretty normal lives. Things would go bad and the only way we would know would be the TV or internet quit working.

Wow! Just wow.  We are looking for somewhere to move. Do you have a pool? ;)

5 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Most people have at lest 40 gallons of fresh water stored in their houses all the time.  Check out your hot water heater.  It's got a spigot on the bottom for draining.  It's full of fresh water.  

We have a tankless water heater. So, I guess the moral of that story is, have a generator to operate the pump on your well or don't get a tankless.

6 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I've heard stool. You forgot throne.

Wow! Just wow.  We are looking for somewhere to move. Do you have a pool? ;)

We have a tankless water heater. So, I guess the moral of that story is, have a generator to operate the pump on your well or don't get a tankless.

I've heard several reports of those freezing and busting. How does that happen if there's no tank?

Alpo wants to know.

JHC :blink:

Allie,  yes, A small one.  :wub: :wub:

I forgot to mention in the earlier post we also keep 1 year+ of stabilized gasoline on site.  Fuel is delivered by semi every year to keep everything "topped off". Propane also delivered by big truck annualy. Keep 4000 gallons of propane, over 5000 gallons of diesel and 400 gallons of gasoline. No neighbors out here. 65 miles to the closest small town with public electricity, land line phones etc. and 40 miles to get a cell phone signal. Plenty of perimeter security alarms but rarely see a lost tourist on the 2 mile private road to the house. Nice and quiet.  Only sounds are wildlife and playing on my 5 gun ranges. 

11 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I've heard several reports of those freezing and busting. How does that happen if there's no tank?

Alpo wants to know.

JHC :blink:

There is still piping and a hot water generator inside the unit, and they both contain water; not a lot, but enough to freeze.

LL

We live in rural Wyoming, we are prepared. I get the "I'm coming to your house" all the time. My response is "only if you have something to offer".

All the old homesteads had a woodstove, good for heat, cooking, hot water, and the ash can be used for other purposes. 

Once you're out of perishable food there is no need for electricity except for pumping water. Might need gasoline for chainsaws and wood splitter. 

It's all a matter of convenience. 

Archived