SASS Wire Forum

VA assistance for Cold War vets? Update: 2/18/21

Charlie Harley, #14153

Update:  So I took the Saloon’s advice and founf my county veterans service officer. Turns out his office is five minutes from my house. 

He explained the process details and what I was doing wrong, filled out the right application for me while sitting in his office, and said I should get a call to schedule the hearing test appointment. 

Thank you to all for your sound advice. I’m now on the right path. 

————————-

I’ll skip the details, but I’m coming up on a stage of needing hearing aids. The damage began years ago as an Army pilot, and we all know that hearing that’s damaged never heals. It just combines with further damage in life. 

I applied to the VA and got rejected because my income wasn’t below the threshold. I appealed and sent further details about failed hearing tests during my discharge physical. Got the same response that I wasn’t in poverty and didn’t qualify for help. 

Last week I was having dinner with a friend who was a C-130 loadmaster about the same time I was serving. He’s getting VA hearing aids and was told by his VA doctor to apply for a disability due to chronic tinnitus. (I have the same condition 24/7/365.)

The main difference between the two of us?  He has a Desert Storm campaign ribbon. I don’t. He never experienced the loud noises of direct combat. Just the same turbine engines that powered both our aircraft. But the ribbon supposedly is making a difference. 

I reached out to my senator’s office and will see what they can do. Does anyone in the Saloon have thoughts about a realistic next step, or am I stuck?

Every county in the US has a VA Representative  (authorized by Congress). Get in touch with them and get their advice/help. I also recommend have a Veterans Rep (VFW, DAV, etc) with you as your advocate during any VA procedures. After many VA rejections, the DAV really helped me get thru all the VA roadblocks.  Good Luck and keep us posted. PM me if you have questions.

Big Sage said it all. What you have posted you are entitled to at least 10% to begin with. 

If you can’t get them through the VA the next best place I found was Costco. The VA is the #1 seller of hearing aids in the US , Costco is #2 . The cost at Costco was generally half of what the local audiologists we’re selling them for . The only downside to them is they are software locked where only Costco can work on them . 

No combat experience necessary, since you were active duty with an honorable discharge (or other than dishonorable, to be technical).

Did I mention I'm training to be a CVSO? 

Charlie,

I was able to get hearing aids because my hearing impairment info was stated on my DD-214.

If you have that information on your DD-214, you should be eligible for atleast 10% for the tinnitus .

Contact our VA rep in the Court House.

p.s. - I was told that it was rare for the DD-214 to show hearing problems at the time of discharge.  But, mine does show it.

And yes, I'm deaf and hear nothing without my hearing aids, not even a police car siren.

..........Widder

I had the same problem originally getting registered...VA said my income was too high for the neighborhood where I live!  I have friend who is closely associated with the VA, and the next thing I knew, they registered me. I know that's not much help for you.  I would definitely talk to the VA county service officer.  (Been about five years and I still have never received a card!)  But I get my hearing aids at the VA, and my losses are NOT service related...I think... When the motor-generator set would start up in the Minuteman I soft support building, it could get pretty loud.    I get my second shot on Thursday from VA. 

Stay well and safe, Pards!

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Contact your local DAV Representative. They are very good at making the system work for you.

What he said.

Yep the DAV are tops. After another refusal from the VA on an appeal, I was ready to toss in the towel. I got a phone call from DAV HQ in DC. One of their Lawyers said they had reviewed my case and wanted to go to court to appeal the VA's decision. Long story short, they (We) won the case and the VA had to grant my appeal. Needless to say I am a Life Member of DAV now!

On 2/16/2021 at 2:41 PM, Trigger Mike said:

So glad you posted this.  I'm a desert storm vet and just yesterday my 11 year old kept asking me if she has blood over and over until I realized she was asking about lunch.  

I take my hearing ear wife with me most everywhere I go. :lol:

You had a discharge physical? All we did was pee in a cup. :lol:

I went to the VA Regional Medical Center today and all the lady did was stick me in the arm!  That's the second time! :)  So far so good.  Arm doesn't hurt...yet.  Feel okay...but it's only been three hours, and some say the next day could be a little reaction.  We'll see...

Meantime, Perserverance, the Mars rover has successfully landed on the surface of Mars!  Congratulations JPL!

Stay well and safe, Pards! 

Archived