SASS Wire Forum

Hey Texas pards

Rye Miles #13621

9 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

"Rolling blackouts" is a mis-nomer for what is happening in central Texas. Power is being shut down in huge swaths across the larger cities knocking out power to large percentage of populations for many hours.  In my are of Austin our power went off at 2:07am Monday morning and didnt come back on till 2:13 am Wednesday morning. That is 48 hours with no heat or light. Now the real number. At the top end of the outage about 42% of the electric customers in Austin were under power outage lasting from 48 to 60 hours.  The other areas of town did have "rolling" outage lasting from 30 - 60 minutes for most of the last two days. 

I have a generator that I ran for two days running a couple space heaters and the fridge. Temp went down to 25 inside the house and 13 outside before I trudged out through 6" of snow and brought the genny up to house and rigged the wiring to run the heaters. Lows here in central Austin dropped to 5 degrees Monday morning and 3 degrees Tuesday. Today it is a veritable heat wave low last night was 20 degrees, We got a ice storm last night and picked up 1/2 inch of ice on everything. Another one is just hitting here. The bad part is I am down to 4 gallons of gas if the power goes out again and there is 1/2 of ice on top of the snow covered roads. (Austin doesnt have snow plows for use to plow the streets.  The State does but only for the hiways and state roads.  Driving to get gas Monday on 6 inches of snow was not bad, but Tuesday morning the snow had been driven on and compacted and refroze overnight.  Interesting 5 mile round trip to the only gas station nearby that had electricity( cant run gas pumps without electricity).

You may need to break out your Oklahoma credit card and siphon some gas from your car or truck into your generator if you aren't able to drive to get more gas at a station.

Kajun

22 hours ago, Complicated Lady said:

We are 80 miles east of Dallas. Most of out town is without power. 

The town has pretty much shut down. Schools closed 

We have not lost power. We still have water. 

We feel fortunate. We are praying for our friends who are suffering because of this unusually cold weather.

Good to see you back in the Saloon. 

Glad to hear you are well, and prayers for Texas.

Even now, it's hard to mess with Texas.

It’s hard to get one up on a Texan!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A man from Texas, driving a Volkswagen Beetle, pulls up next to a guy in a Rolls Royce with Nevada plates at a stop sign. Their windows are open and he yells at the guy in the Rolls, "Hey, you got a telephone in that Rolls?"

The guy in the Rolls says, "Yes, of course I do."

"I got one too... see?" the Texan says.

"Uh, huh, yes, that's very nice."

"You got a fax machine?" asks the Texan.

"Why, actually, yes, I do."

"I do too! See? It's right here!" brags the Texan.

The light is just about to turn green and the guy in the Volkswagen says, "So, do you have a double bed in back there?"

The guy in the Rolls replies, "NO! Do you?"

"Yep, got my double bed right in back here, see?" the Texan replies.

The light turns and the man in the Volkswagen takes off.

Well, the guy in the Rolls is not about to be one-upped, so he immediately goes to a customizing shop and orders them to put a double bed in back of his car! . About two weeks later, the job is finally done. He picks up his car and drives all over town looking for the Volkswagen beetle with the Texas plates. Finally, he finds it parked alongside the road, so he pulls his Rolls up next to it. The windows on the Volkswagen are all fogged up and he feels somewhat awkward about it, but he gets out of his newly modified Rolls and taps on the foggy window of the Volkswagen. The man in the Volkswagen finally opens the window a crack and peeks out. The guy in the Rolls says, "Hey, remember me?"

"Yeah, yeah, I remember you," replies the Texan. "What's up?"

"Check this out... I got a double bed installed in my Rolls."

The Texan exclaims, "YOU GOT ME OUT OF THE SHOWER TO TELL ME THAT?!"

On 2/18/2021 at 10:20 AM, Whiskey Business said:

Good to see you back in the Saloon. 

Glad to hear you are well, and prayers for Texas.

Thank you!

While relating to someone that we have never lost power in our neighborhood so far, they asked if we were near a hospital. I said that there is one about a block away. Actually much closer on a straight line.  Maybe that's why the power is not turned off in some areas. 

Horace

Archived