SASS Wire Forum

CCW Holsters

Whiskey Hicks

It’s all personal choice and what works for your lifestyle and conforms to the laws where your at . I’m in Mi and we have open carry so legally it doesn’t matter if you print or accidentally expose your firearm. Some places that’s illegal . Nothing looks better than a well made leather holster , but kydex is thin and cheap . I have both and find myself using kydex almost exclusively anymore. If either holster is well designed it will be comfortable. But comfort is very different for different people. I never have been able to get used to appendix carry 

16 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

It’s all personal choice and what works for your lifestyle and conforms to the laws where your at . I’m in Mi and we have open carry so legally it doesn’t matter if you print or accidentally expose your firearm. Some places that’s illegal . Nothing looks better than a well made leather holster , but kydex is thin and cheap . I have both and find myself using kydex almost exclusively anymore. If either holster is well designed it will be comfortable. But comfort is very different for different people. I never have been able to get used to appendix carry 

Ironically here in Ohio, open carry jd absolutely fine. However I work in addictions and mental health and see a lot of professional colleagues and clientele in the community some times.

I did see on Liberty Tree a flap-down leather military holster for this model and an extra magazine. Most people I don’t think would put two and two together immediately with that style holster as the gun then wouldn’t be visible. Plus if I’m wearing my usual button ups in the summer untucked, it would have some coverage.

I’ve ended up over the years just gravitating to iwb strong side “concealed” . I usually carry a full size unless it’s summer and I’m in sandals , shorts and a t shirt . Then I have a Sig 365 . But like I said everyone has different needs/requirements so you need to find what works for you 

I have several IWB Crossbreed brand and like them.

A paddle type kydex is easy on and off. 

With your gun, also consider an ankle or calf holster.

Here’s some news most new CCW carriers should know.

Budget for at least 3 holsters for different carry methods because you won’t be happy with the first but you’ll find the second worse but by the third you should have an idea what will work for you. 

Also, everyone raves about inside the waistband holsters. These mean a new wardrobe of pants. 

57 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I have several IWB Crossbreed brand and like them.

A paddle type kydex is easy on and off. 

With your gun, also consider an ankle or calf holster.

Only if you can still get to your ankle quickly, without falling over.

IWB usually does call for pants a size larger. Leather will be more comfortable as it gives a little against your hip. A GOOD belt is required. I would check with Bianchi, Desantis or Safariland on what they have that will fit. I have had very good luck with the Bianchi Pistol Pocket carrying even larger guns IWB such as Commanders and Sig 229s.

9 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Becomes brittle in cold temps.

In the use here it is covered and against a warm body. If it gets cold enough to be brittle, you are already lying dead in the snow. 

Everyone who regularly CCW has a box of holsters. You have a holster for each gun you may carry, then you have different styles of carry that you try for each gun each requiring a different holster.....etc...

Rules that I follow:

1. Get a good gun belt, a good gun belt makes carrying better, a bad belt makes everything that much worse. 

2. I love leather but for a carry holster I think kydex is better, even better is a kydex and leather mix. Leather is softer against your body and kydex fits your gun and holds it solidly in your holster while allowing you to re-holster more easily and safely. Crossbreed IWB style use leather against the body and have a kydex holster affixed to the leather. Safariland makes some nice leather covered kydex holsters that look nice and feel good. 

3. Always avoid except in very specific circumstances all generic holsters and get ones that fit the gun you plan to carry.

4. No tight pants if you are going to carry IWB, especially if you add a magazine pouch IWB.

5. Carry everyday, and practice drawing your unloaded firearm a few thousand times. Practice will make you more competent and instill more confidence. Carrying everyday will build in the habit of doing so, if you don't you will become a sometime CCW holder who more than likely has a firearm as a fashion accessory. 

6. I have found that OWB carry is the most comfortable; (outside of pocket carry, but I don't like carrying a limited capacity mouse gun). 

7. I have found that IWB is the most practical as it conceals the best while carrying a full size or compact firearm while giving the quickest access outside of OWB carry.

8. Night sights are good if that is an option.

9. Red dots work well for some, but you have to practice with them a lot, especially your presentation on your draw or you will be searching for the dot. Don't carry a firearm with a red dot unless you have trained enough with it to no longer find yourself searching for the dot. 

4 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I have one of these, like the deluxe version. Combo of leather and kydex. Really like it.

https://www.celticholsters.com/shop/IWB-Holsters-c24177426

You just cost me some money.

I like horizontal mag carriers , and there aren’t allot of holster makers who do the new Staccato guns .  
I freely admit I’m a holster junkie 

5 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

In the use here it is covered and against a warm body. If it gets cold enough to be brittle, you are already lying dead in the snow. 

Kydex IWB is very uncomfortable. 

OLG 

I was going to try IWB for my Sig P938, but it is no longer in my carry stable. Everything else in the stable is too big for IWB.

I carry OWB 3 O'clock, unless I am rocking my custom leather shoulder rig.

I do prefer leather, and prefer custom rigs over off-the-shelf. But the cost... Good leather is at least 5 times and can be 10 times the cost of Kydex. For Kydex, I consider Blackhawk the "gold standard" for a real working durable budget level-2 retention holster. Since I am a klutz and somewhat active, level-2 or thumb-break is an absolute requirement for any firearm I carry.

I carry 4" barreled semi-autos or 3" barreled max revolvers. I would carry an inch longer but on me a longer gun either interferes with car seats or I have to carry them an inch higher on my waist which makes drawing more difficult. I am experimenting with a full-size Beretta M9 for competition, in this situation car seats are not an issue and I can carry as low as the rules permit. I can also use a competition holster with less retention.

For belts... Ultimately as I moved to a 1911 platform and the weight brought out the problems... I started with a high quality this and stiff leather belt, but it was not a gun belt; it broke down and got soft. Then switched to a leather gun belt but it broke down and got soft. Then switched to a 511 Tactical polymer-reinforced leather belt but the polymer broke inside the belt at a holster loop and once again the gun was flopping around. So I now have a Bullhide steel-core belt. This last one was a bit uncomfortable in the beginning but since it has not broken down at all yet, I must have got used to it. If you go to this level of support, be prepared for a few weeks of acclimation.

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

I was going to try IWB for my Sig P938, but it is no longer in my carry stable. Everything else in the stable is too big for IWB.

I carry OWB 3 O'clock, unless I am rocking my custom leather shoulder rig.

I do prefer leather, and prefer custom rigs over off-the-shelf. But the cost... Good leather is at least 5 times and can be 10 times the cost of Kydex. For Kydex, I consider Blackhawk the "gold standard" for a real working durable budget level-2 retention holster. Since I am a klutz and somewhat active, level-2 or thumb-break is an absolute requirement for any firearm I carry.

I carry 4" barreled semi-autos or 3" barreled max revolvers. I would carry an inch longer but on me a longer gun either interferes with car seats or I have to carry them an inch higher on my waist which makes drawing more difficult. I am experimenting with a full-size Beretta M9 for competition, in this situation car seats are not an issue and I can carry as low as the rules permit. I can also use a competition holster with less retention.

For belts... Ultimately as I moved to a 1911 platform and the weight brought out the problems... I started with a high quality this and stiff leather belt, but it was not a gun belt; it broke down and got soft. Then switched to a leather gun belt but it broke down and got soft. Then switched to a 511 Tactical polymer-reinforced leather belt but the polymer broke inside the belt at a holster loop and once again the gun was flopping around. So I now have a Bullhide steel-core belt. This last one was a bit uncomfortable in the beginning but since it has not broken down at all yet, I must have got used to it. If you go to this level of support, be prepared for a few weeks of acclimation.

This is the best belt I’ve ever found for carrying a heavy full size gun iwb 

https://www.aresgear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=99&zenid=b036931859a9216066c43c37629ace68

One thing good is that now suspenders are popular for fashion once again. They can make a huge difference when carrying a larger/heavier gun.

Two words...Fanny Pack...

otherwise this little thing works very well to avoid print in a multitude of positions.  Front pockets, coat, cargo, vehicle, backpack whatever it’s cheap and holds well.

I’ve bought expensive leather ones, alien gear ones, and would just as soon put my 43 in my pocket with this or no holster before many of them.  

image.jpg

If you are into hiking or biking, get one of those bright colored messenger bags, sew a nylon holster into it and it is invisible. Do not get a tactical colored bag.

20 years ago Massad Ayoob said your first carry gun should be a .38 snubby or .380 and at least three different holsters for IWB, OWB and pocket.  Extras for shoulder and ankle were also advised.

9 minutes ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Send the hate messages now: I’m looking at either high-ride OWB or a cross-draw. 

I’ve gotten into the habit of layering in the winter with vests and wear pearl snap Western shirts in the summer.

Allot of people who drive for a living like cross draw 

1 hour ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Send the hate messages now: I’m looking at either high-ride OWB or a cross-draw. 

I’ve gotten into the habit of layering in the winter with vests and wear pearl snap Western shirts in the summer.

If it's comfortable for you then go for it.

13 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

One thing good is that now suspenders are popular for fashion once again. They can make a huge difference when carrying a larger/heavier gun.

Nope.  I ain't forgot what got John Wesley Hardin caught.

I carry a Para P.13 regularly- without suspenders.

I have lost count of the ccw holsters I have. IWB, OWB, Kydex, leather, combo kydex/leather, cross draw, shoulder, etc etc. I have 3 or 4 guns I carry so each has it’s own box o’ scabbards. My wife’s standard comment when I open the mail is, “You bought Another holster”

Problem is, is not every gun and holster fits every situation. Weather, location, activity all play a roll in my selection.

There cannot be only one.

8 hours ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

Hate messages?

Anyone with hate messages on your choices can suck eggs. They are your choices...until you decide otherwise. You know your own mind and what you prefer.  That’s all that counts. 

10 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Can you even find any holster for that gun? That might make your choice for you.

The only one specifically made for it is the military holster, but there are private makers like Ramora holsters that I’ve been in contact with that say a model or two of theirs will work.

The owner of Ramora actually got back to me an hour after emailing their website the other morning. I’m inclined to chance a product on that customer service.

Archived