SASS Wire Forum

Problems Finding CAS Guns?

DocWard

A friend of mine wants to get into the game. I suggested he go to a couple of matches, and try out a few guns before buying, but he is ready to go. He's recently (semi)retired, and has been toying with the idea for awhile now, since finding out I shoot. He has found a couple of Uberti Cattleman II's locally, but is coming up empty on a rifle or shotgun. In doing a quick search, it seems everyone is out of stock. Any suggestions?

What kind of rifle and shotgun? Narrowing it down to specific guns would help (somewhat) in the search. Buying through a reputable cowboy gunsmith may be expensive on the get go but may be the path of least resistance.

16 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

What kind of rifle and shotgun? Narrowing it down to specific guns would help (somewhat) in the search. Buying through a reputable cowboy gunsmith may be expensive on the get go but may be the path of least resistance.

Sorry, I should have more coffee before I post.

I think he is looking for a side by side, such as a Stoeger. As for a rifle, I'm pretty sure he would prefer a '73. I've explained the issues with the '92 like I still shoot--That the Rossis tend to be very rough from the factory and need tuning, can't be short-stroked, etc... I think if one fell into his lap though, he would take it just to get started. Same with a Marlin.

I don't know why I didn't think of the cowboy gunsmiths. 

given the rush , on firearms , there is very little to be had in my area . 

I keep my eyes and ears open hoping to find what I need 

I have a young shooter , wanting a S/G , still looking to find one for him 

One will show up , hopefully at a good price , 

good luck on the hunt 

Chickasaw 

will add none of the vendors , have any thing in stock , as of the check last week 

Check with Barleycorn outfitters. He's on this wire and a SASS member and shooter. His wife is too. Great folks!

Don't shy away from a $100 single shot shotgun (H&R Topper, etc.) just to get started.  You can always spend more when things loosen up.  Who knows that it won't build useful skills for later?

Lots of Stoeger coach guns on Gunbroker.  I saw one used 12 gauge for less than $400.  Unless he has a source of CAS ammo I suggest he take his time buying firearms.

I don't know if he'll have a lot of luck at gunsmiths since they are probably in the same boat as the rest of us.  I did see a couple of Uberti rifles in a LGS not too long ago.  I have seen some larger caliber rifles as well, so I would concentrate on the retail stores.

5 minutes later:  I checked on line at a LGS not too far from me and they have a consigned 1894 Marlin in 45 Colt, 1 of 1500, 20 in octagonal barrel with gold inlays and trigger:  $1,495.  Let me know if you need more details.

Howdy,

What calibers is he lookin fer??

I got a 45 cattleman on gb its tuned so no smithing needed.

I have a single shot 12 gauge he could have if interested.

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Pawn shops can be a great source for guns not sought after by panic buying

Imis

I picked up this beauty at a pawn shop a couple months ago! 6 big ones OTD

IMG_2295.jpg

If familiar with AR15.com , and their Equipment Exchange (EE) , there is a pair of Great Western II in 357 w/ 5 1/2" barrels for 500.00 each , shipped over there.

Not mine , have no idea who or where , but that isn't a bad deal. There are single actions show up there occasionally.

Rex :D

The local gun store has a 73, as will as a new marlin on the shelf.  If your interested I can send you the address

As stated earlier don't shy away from a single shot.    Very simple to use and build good habits.  Also once you get the a rhythm you would be suprised how fast they can be shot.    Ive won overall at several matches running one. 

Get to some matches and make contacts.  We have a number of local cowboys who seem to be getting out of the game and are selling.  Otherwise, Marlin is in transition, Italy says that firearm manufacturing is not essential and I have not seen a Japchester in months.

21 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Unless he has a source of CAS ammo I suggest he take his time buying firearms.

Indeed.

I am now shooting 22LR because I do not want to spend down my stock of center fire components that I cannot replenish.
At the last match, many of the shooters are feeling the pain of Out of Stock - No Backorder.

Archived