SASS Wire Forum

How do I get a bullet out of an empty 38 case?

Fretless

I am brand new to reloading (like this evening new).  Hypothetically, not that this actually happened, but just suppose I managed to place and crimp 5 bullets in cases with no primers or powder.  How should I go about reclaiming that brass?  You know, if I had actually done that.

Yep, buncha companies make 'em.   Frankfort Arsenal is one - Midway's private brand.  Lasts forever, surprisingly.

Only those who don't reload - don't have one.  :lol:

good luck, GJ

If you remove a die from your press, you can raise the round to the top, grab the bullet with a plier, and lower the press to remove the bullet.

Until you get yours, you can use a single-stage loading press and a shell holder for your cartridge.  Unscrew any die in the press.  Place cartridge in shell holder and run the ram up.  Bullet and top half of case sticks out over the top of the press frame.  Take a large pair of diagonal cutters (dikes) and set the jaws on the lead bullet just above the case mouth.  Clamp hard on pliers handles, bracing them on the top of the press frame, and lower the ram, thus pulling a mangled bullet right out of the case.

Can be done in a Dillon and maybe other progressive presses, but you do a lot more fiddling around. 

Jacketed bullets - you just have to clamp the pliers harder to hold onto the more slippery slugs.

Find a cheap old single stage press that still works and bolt it on a length of 2x6 and you can C-clamp that to a spare spot on your bench when you need it.

good luck, GJ

And if you are in a hurry, they are less than $20 at your local sports store, but I would hold Captain BB to his word, even if it is a long time til yall meet.

Imis

9 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

@Fretless, I have one I never use.  If you're not in a hurry you can have it the next time our paths cross.

How does this Saturday at Tennessee Mountain Marauders work for you?

(Can we share rifles with you again?)

1 minute ago, Fretless said:

How does this Saturday at Tennessee Mountain Marauders work for you?

(Can we share rifles with you again?)

This Saturday I'll be at the South River Shootists, which is less than 30 minutes from my house.  TMM is about 2 hours away!  You're welcome to join us, and of course we'll share, but it will add another 2 hours to your drive, 2.5 if you drive in a more sane fashion than I do.

4 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

This Saturday I'll be at the South River Shootists, which is less than 30 minutes from my house.  TMM is about 2 hours away!  You're welcome to join us, and of course we'll share, but it will add another 2 hours to your drive, 2.5 if you drive in a more sane fashion than I do.

Looks like the direct route to South River Shootists is a 5 hour drive from my house.  Maybe you should just hold on to that puller for me.  :)

RCBS also makes a collet-type puller that doesn't destroy the bullet. Unfortunately, you need a different collet for each caliber.

46 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Only those who don't reload - don't have one.  :lol:

good luck, GJ

That's quite the assumption there, GJ. I have various piles of loaded (or "partially" loaded) cartridges sitting all over the place patiently waiting for the day I purchase a bullet puller. Some of them have no powder, backwards primers, split cases, or just an 'x' across the rim (my way of saying "don't use this on the clock").

I suppose you're right -- maybe it's time I grabbed a bullet puller and reclaimed those components. How much do you think I can get for a once-installed, never fired small pistol primer? B)

7 minutes ago, C.N. Double said:

I suppose you're right -- maybe it's time I grabbed a bullet puller and reclaimed those components. How much do you think I can get for a once-installed, never fired small pistol primer?

You can get 1 shot for it. just put it in the right way.;)

@C.N. Double just use a small punch, put it through the primer hole and give it a smack with a ball pien hammer. Problem solved!:P

Inertia puller works well and last quite a while.  Mine finally gave up after about 15 years.  Had about a hundred rounds to pull apart, and the threaded collar finally shattered.  Going to a collet style when I order another. 

One tip when using an inertia puller.  Take that little powdered metal thingamabob held together with a O-ring and throw it out.  Us a shell holder instead.  Faster and easier.

you been in my reloading room ? i just happened to have five [5] unprimed cases no powder with bullets installed , i did it on purpose to adjust for rifle cycling length in my marlin , not all bad to have a few dummys - fill the primer hole with silicone for dry firing ,

at least you got a bunch of good responses above , the inertia hammer saves the bullet if you want , the dikes or pliers will damage it - no issue if you cast tho 

C.N.: I have an extra puller if you want one.

Someday I'll run a crapload through a press with a plier, I've got way too many oopsies to use an inertia puller.

Thanks for all the info and advice   I went to work this morning and drilled a hole in an old piece of pvc pipe.  I put a piece of tape across so it won't fly out.  Worked like a charm.PXL_20210216_144550727.thumb.jpg.90425a606704f41f492401a7914f1ec4.jpg

PXL_20210216_144547605.jpg

13 hours ago, Sarival Slim said:

Throw it in the garbage and move on is what I do :).

This would be the BEST plan IF we had any extra brass. However we're new, VERY new, and only have enough brass for the two of us to shoot ONE match with about 6-8 extras.

13 hours ago, Sarge said:

One tip when using an inertia puller.  Take that little powdered metal thingamabob held together with a O-ring and throw it out.  Us a shell holder instead.  Faster and easier.

+10000

Definitely works much better just be sure to inspect the shell holder afterwards when pulling heavy bullets. I have broken one shell holder.

2 hours ago, Fox Creek Stitcher said:

This would be the BEST plan IF we had any extra brass. However we're new, VERY new, and only have enough brass for the two of us to shoot ONE match with about 6-8 extras.

Fox Creek Stitcher,

What caliber are y’all Shootin’? I may be able to help you with that. For free...

Sarival Slim

15 hours ago, Sarge said:

+1000  Been doing that for years.  Sure makes things easier.

17 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

@Fretless, I have one I never use.  If you're not in a hurry you can have it the next time our paths cross.

Bill. do you do crossword puzzles in ink?

3 hours ago, Fox Creek Stitcher said:

Post a WTB add over in the classifieds for once-fired brass.  If you are shooting a common caliber you should be able to buy some.  I've bought once-fired 38 Special brass for a little as three-cents each (the cost of a primer when primers were available).

1 hour ago, Sarival Slim said:

Fox Creek Stitcher,

What caliber are y’all Shootin’? I may be able to help you with that. For free...

Sarival Slim

1 hour ago, Sarival Slim said:

FCS, Looks like .38 special, pm me. SSlim

Yes, it's .38 Special.

My husband tells me you already PMed him. Thank you SO MUCH!!!

4 hours ago, Fox Creek Stitcher said:

https://nereloading.com/38-special-fired-brass-500-count-free-tumble-cleaning.html

Least expensive brass you can find.  Buy 3,000 and it's only $150 shipped.  If you don't need that much let me know and we can split an order.  I can order it then you can pay me when we split it up, or the other way around.

Archived