SASS Wire Forum

Need some 45 Colt data for 200gr RNFP Clay Dot

John Barleycorn, SASS #76982

In an effort to save some of my small pistol primers I’m going to be shooting my 45’s a lot more. I usually only shoot BP out of them, so I need some light 45 Colt load data using Clay Dot and 200gr RNFP bullets.

thanks, JB

John, I've had good luck with 5.2 grains of Clay Dot, 200 grain RNFP bullets and 45 Colt cases in my '73 rifle.

For my over-the-top rifle reloads, I've had good luck with 4.6 grains of Clay Dot, 200 grain RNFP bullets and 45 Schofield cases. 

Finally, I've had good luck with 3.8 grains of Clay Dot, 180 grain RNFP bullets and 45 Cowboy Special cases in my OM Ruger Vaqueros.

WK

23 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

In an effort to save some of my small pistol primers I’m going to be shooting my 45’s a lot more. I usually only shoot BP out of them, so I need some light 45 Colt load data using Clay Dot and 200gr RNFP bullets.

thanks, JB

I have been extremely satisfied with 4.6 gr. Clay Dot and  200 gr. RNFP in my '92 ROSSI.  Also used as 25 yd plinker with .45 LC Super Redhawk.

So, what kind of chrono data are you getting with the above loads?

I have used 5.3 gr Claydot with a 200 grain projectile to get about 800fps; Wild Bunch PF about 160.

Have used 5.2 grains ClayDot and 200 grain bullet to get Wild Bunch PF.  Shot accurately too.    Clay Dot is really good in cowboy .38 special loads too.  Just those pesky little primers.

good luck,, GJ

Archived