SASS Wire Forum

Foods You Enjoyed as a Kid

Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L

8 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

We call those empanadas!!!

A pasty /pastie usually consists of tassells!!!

The empanadas I've seen are about the size of a woman's fist. They are an appetizer. A pasty, on the other hand, covers your entire plate. It is the meal. And as I understand it, to actually qualify as a pasty, it has to have turnip in it. I've never heard of putting turnip in an empanada.

Pasty, the food, rhymes with nasty, while pasty, the stripper accessory, rhymes with tasty. Completely different A sound.

We didn't eat out much as a kid.  I used to get pasties when we we to Menominee.  Sometimes we would get strawberry frosted donuts at the Woolworth store in Marinette., WI  Favorite foods were venison and noodles.  I loved onion sandwiches.  When the smelt ran, I could eat a wash tub of them.  And I really liked the leftover corn meal mush sliced and fried (Like Polenta).  Mom would make sugar and water syrup and fry the mush in butter after slicing it up and it was great.  I don't think many folks have had those items.  Fish figured prominently in our diet (deer too).  Fish was for free and available  in the river and lakes.  Deer were always available (we had one day deer, and one night deer).  They never bothered us cause we would have to  go on welfare and there was a ton of deer (nothing was wasted).

Another childhood meal I loved Creamed peas on Mashed potatoes.   We picked the peas from our half acre garden.

STL Suomi

:FlagAm: I grew up in the Catskill region of upstate NY and central PA.  My all time favorite potato chips, Wise with the blinking owl on the package.  You could see all the oil and salt on the inside of the clear/blue bag.  Original Popsicle brand, Premium saltine crackers and A&P coffee.  They had the the chrome and red grinders in the store.  My father would give me a be a or two to chew on when he ground the bag.  Hormel cocktail franks in the little blue can and the original FRESCA.  Sun Maid raisons used to get a little bathroom Dixie cup full as an afternoon treat.  Pasteurized but not homogenized milk from Carlands Dairy.  Still had the little white trucks and white uniformed drivers that delivered the glass bottled milk twice a week.  My grandmother would skim the cream off at the top of the bottle and make whipped cream for her apricot pies.

Beer was Schlitz, Schaefer, Ballentine and Genesee.

Chas B:D

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

The empanadas I've seen are about the size of a woman's fist. They are an appetizer. A pasty, on the other hand, covers your entire plate. It is the meal. And as I understand it, to actually qualify as a pasty, it has to have turnip in it. I've never heard of putting turnip in an empanada.

Pasty, the food, rhymes with nasty, while pasty, the stripper accessory, rhymes with tasty. Completely different A sound.

https://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/2019/08/14/the-history-of-an-up-north-staple-pasties/

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I like Vegimite!!!

Of course, I've not had Marmite...

Wich do you like best?

........... don't bother with the Marmite; ........ you already like the best   ;)

Archived