SASS Wire Forum

Foods You Enjoyed as a Kid

Wyatt Earp SASS#1628L

Not talking hamburgers, hot dogs, and such, but actual brands.

I grew up eating Chef Boyardee Ravioli for lunch. In grammer school, if I didn't like what the cafeteria was serving, I'd walk the 1 1/2blocks home and mom would make this for me. Still et them today. (as a side note, I couldn't/can't stand any of the other of the Chef's products)

Oscar Meyer Smokies.

Rice a Roni. Back then I liked the beef flavor the best. When mom made it for dinner, I'd take a spoonful on a piece of bread, fold it in half and eat it.

What are yours?

for most things we got the Safeway house brand.  But, for pot pies, Banquet.  Preferably chicken or turkey.  Hot dogs were Oscar Meyer, and I prefered the Smokie Links to the hot dogs.  Del Monte Dill Halves (which I can't stand now).  

My mom cooked everything so all I can say is cookies, candy and cupcakes! I still also have peanut butter and jelly too, 

Campbells Bean W/Bacon soup. Tried some recently, not even close to the same as it used to be.

Bordens milk. Still tastes the same but about $1 - $2 more than the "house" brand.

Land O Lakes butter. Still tastes good but something is missing and I can put my finger on it.

Oscar Meyers hot dogs and bologna. Haven't had either for a while but even if something was missing....I wouldn't know what it was anyway.

Hershey's chocolate. It's still good....damn it.

Banquet turkey tv dinner. Last one I had a few years ago was terrible.

All kinds of other name brands and condiments that I'll use on occasion.

I grew up on the left coast.  We ate Granny Goose Potato Chips and Tillamook Cheese.  The potato chip company is still in business but I never see its products locally.  I still buy Tillamook Cheese from Costco.

17 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My mom cooked everything so all I can say is cookies, candy and cupcakes! I still also have peanut butter and jelly too, 

I have a PBJ in my lunch every day.

Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup

Totino's Pizza

Pop Tarts

Can't think of any I ate then that I still eat today.

But back then, Pop Tarts on Saturday mornings and Dinty Moore Stew when I could get it. But neither are the same now as they were then. Coca Cola is not the same either, it changed.

Have not had a Big Mac in decades but still miss them. But they are not the same either. The fries changed too.

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

Came from a family that canned. Jams and canned fruits were my favorites. Or fresh blueberries right off the bush. 

My mom made plum jelly from our 4 plum trees we had. Growing up I thought everyone had plum jelly!! She canned tomatoes and made sauce, practically everything was homemade. 

1 minute ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Kogel’s bologna and hotdogs and Made Right chips , it’s a Michigan thing , along with Mackinaw Island fudge and a pasties 

:ph34r:Hahaha! Shanley's cousin was saying how much she loves pasties!!!

(They don't mean the same thing, in my world!!)

We had lots of venison, quail, pheasants, and water fowl. My Dad smoked lots of fish too. Mom's Rhubarb pie, persimmon pudding I miss a lot. I also loved toasted salt rising bread. Mom used to bake a turkey surrounded by quail in the roaster for Thanksgiving. Home made ice cream too.

4 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

You probably also call pop,  soda :) some places every thing is a coke 

I do ask for a POP!!!:rolleyes:

They usually look at me funny!!!

But I was born in NM...by Texans...

So why I use North Eastern verbage, I will never know.

Just don't ask me to say "car wash"

9 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

We call those empanadas!!!

A pasty /pastie usually consists of tassells!!!

I like those also. But I didn’t get as much experience with them as a child as I would have liked 

1 minute ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I do ask for a POP!!!:rolleyes:

They usually look at me funny!!!

But I was born in NM...by Texans...

So why I use North Eastern verbage, I will never know.

Just don't ask me to say "car wash"

Everyone I know from Kansas or Iowa pronounces wash , wersh .

The different dialects in the US are interesting. When I lived in CA everyone thought I had a accent or thought I was a Canuck 

Brands I still eat now that I did as a kid....

Jif peanut butter

Lay’s chips

Fritos corn chips- love em in chili

Oscar Meyer beef hot dogs

Campbell’s condensed soups

I stopped eating Banquet chicken when they decided to reduce the number of pieces of chicken a few years ago. My email to them resulted in a smartassed response. They no longer need my money. 
Pepsi

Heinz ketchup

Best Foods Mayonnaise 

French’s mustard - yellow and brown

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Campbells Bean W/Bacon soup. Tried some recently, not even close to the same as it used to be.

Bordens milk. Still tastes the same but about $1 - $2 more than the "house" brand.

Land O Lakes butter. Still tastes good but something is missing and I can put my finger on it.

Oscar Meyers hot dogs and bologna. Haven't had either for a while but even if something was missing....I wouldn't know what it was anyway.

Hershey's chocolate. It's still good....damn it.

Banquet turkey tv dinner. Last one I had a few years ago was terrible.

All kinds of other name brands and condiments that I'll use on occasion.

Ovaltine, Snickers, Idle Isle almond nougat candy, Maddox fried chicken, and Doug and Emmy's (now Grannie Annie's) scones with America Food Stores butcher shop bacon.

Can't get up to Brigham City for Maddox so Popeye's has become my "nearly as good" substitute.  Also Idle Isle is in Brigham, but I can order it delivered in cool weather.  The scones are in Utah as well, but I have their recipe and can make them at home.  American Food went out of business almost fifty years ago so I settle for Hormel Black Label bacon now.

White Castle hamburgers and Fanta Orange Pop.

Swanson’s TV dinners fried chicken! Really liked the mashed potatoes that came with them. Another was fried steak covered with Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup! Menudito canned menudo was pretty good too.

7 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

You mean axle grease :) 

my brother-in-law is English and likes marmite, yuck 

I strongly recommend that you DO NOT confuse the two ........... Marmite is nowhere near as good   :(

18 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I strongly recommend that you DO NOT confuse the two ........... Marmite is nowhere near as good   :(

I only tried marmite once so I never had a desire to try vegemite . I was always told it’s the Aussie version of marmite 

Archived