SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmith Manual?

Dana Rasmussen

Winchester 66-73 or 92 by Miroku,

Winchester 60- 66-73  by Uberti, 

or a real Winchester?

One of the better books for doing repair on the toggle links (60-66-733) is "Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West" by David Chicoine.  Has some of the critical headspace adjustment info, and good drawings of the details.  Although it was written with the original Winchester guns in mind, most of the design and some of the data is correct for Uberti guns, and a little less is correct for the Miroku guns.   I've even got the Uberti clone 1885 HiWall rifle that he used to help illustrate the 1885 chapter of the book. 

Amazon now thinks this book's kinda rare (based on price).

https://www.amazon.com/Gunsmithing-Guns-David-R-Chicoine/dp/0873492528/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=isbn+0873492528&qid=1613425842&s=books&sr=1-1

Almost nothing ever stacks up to Kuhnhausen's books.  But this Chicoine book is good and covers lots of old west guns. 

The Pioneer Gunworks web site has a few real good technical notes on the toggle link guns, too.

https://www.pioneergunworks.com/technical-info

Good luck, GJ

GJ,

I have the book you mention. I am hoping there is a book that has a trouble shooting/diagnosis section for all parts of the rifle similar to Kunhausen's books.

I probably should have titled the subject as "Winchester Style" since my two broken rifles are both Uberti '73 models.

Deputy Dan

"Almost nothing ever stacks up to Kuhnhausen's books. "

Mostly the 73 toggle guns are inspected by eye and troubleshot by what happens when you cycle a round.  :lol:

The action is pretty open even assembled, and skeletonized when the side plates are off.  Memorize the action movements and inter-action timepoints of a gun that runs right, and work back to what could be causing the particular problem you have.   They are not usually dependent upon the tight tolerances that really started with double-action revolvers and then got tighter with the early semi-auto pistols.

There's not a large market for books that go into the old west guns in more detail than Chicoine explored.   Most of it is just "good old 'back of the apron' " gunsmithing like was taught in the 50's.   File, fit and fiddle. 

Sorry there is no silver bullet for your dilemma.   If all else fails, find a practicing gunsmith and pay him the extra to let you look over his shoulder while he fixes your gun.  :rolleyes: 

The way I learned was  by doing what I've already recommended.  Get a few Uberti guns. take one apart to work on it, take another part way apart to see how the thing should work.   Lots of time looking, quite a bit of time cycling the gun, and a little filing and polishing.  So far, I've not needed to do any TIG welding to put metal back on.   Then get out the next gun, and put a short stroke in it.  Re-read the instructions that came with the kit a few times.  Mark up the instructions where the instructions are not quite right (especially on timing the carrier/bolt interface).  Reassemble.  Test.  Find that there was something else the instructions left out.  "Rinse and repeat."

Good luck, GJ

GJ,

I appreciate your comments and recommendations.

My ability maxes out at disassembly/assembly and "drop-in" parts replacement. Any fix that requires filing, polishing, and welding is above my skill, knowledge, tools and most importantly patience level.

I have had the opportunity to watch and learn from Coyote Cap & Jim Bowie.

I use to have a very competent gunsmith 1 hour drive from me. He now lives in Washington. A SASS Hall of Fame Gunsmith use to be a 6 hour drive from me, (one-way) but he has moved on to Arizona. A "foriegn born" gunsmith and dancer use to be a 6 hour drive from me, (one-way) be he is now about 10 hours away.

The dealers that I purchased the rifles are in Virginia & Texas.

Can you guess which State I am stuck in? :)

Maybe someone lurking on here has access to a factory manual?

Deputy Dan

Do not, as some might imply, ever use the Dremel BUT there is a great alternative.  Watch E-Bay for some of the old style drill press stands that will work with your electric hand drill.  When you attach them together VOILA you got a poor mans milling machine!!!!  WOW, with a machine like this you can suddenly feel your abilities start to grow in leaps and bounds.   Though I have not used mine yet, I do feel confident that it is time for me to start checking HF for a cheeep electric welder for completing my shed-to-gunsmith shop set-up.  I have some of the David Chicoine. books and have used them in the past to disassemble and put back together most of my cowboy guns for cleaning and the really neat part is that my spare parts collection seems to increase after each disassembly!. 

Archived