SASS Wire Forum

Hunting....for....

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Ive always wanted to find a treasure. 

Always thought about it.

Diving to the ocean bottom for gold dubbloons and pieces of eight.

Or finding a lost box of civil war gold like in the good the bad and the ugly.

I hear there are a lot of laws about governments wanting their cut...right.

How about a trip to the Superstition Mountains?

A big expedition to the mystery of Dutchman...

Maybe we could make a movie too??

Best

CR

CR.. I fixed that very same problem for myself a couple of years ago ....I was walking the streets of Key West Florida one evening with the wife ..she was window shopping as well as buying this knickknack and that here and there  ..as well as  Ooooing and Ahhhhing at the flora n fauna ..I too was Ooooing and Ahhhhing but to be honest I was seeing alot of "stuff" you just don't see on the streets of our small Missouri town!!!!!

Anyway I digress ..somewhat to your point we stumble across the Mel Fisher "Museum"  in the town of Key West..so we walk in and sure enough there are all kinds of  displays with artifacts, photos, cannons etc of the many exploits and treasure recoveries of Mel Fisher and crew ..being pretty good at palavering we got invited to the laboratory ( a very non public place)  and watched the recovery, preservation etc of artifacts that had just been hauled out of the sea ..amazing process ..huge tanks with flowing salt water with artifacts being slowly weaned from saltwater to fresh to preservation 

Any way I bought my "treasure" right there in old Mel's store where he sold the "plunder" ..a silver "piece of eight" necklace which I of course placed around my lovely wife's neck ...just in case she figured out what I was really Ooooing and Ahhhhing about!

Bear

6 minutes ago, Broken Bear, SASS#58418 said:

CR.. I fixed that very same problem for myself a couple of years ago ....I was walking the streets of Key West Florida one evening with the wife ..she was window shopping as well as buying this knickknack and that here and there  ..as well as  Ooooing and Ahhhhing at the flora n fauna ..I too was Ooooing and Ahhhhing but to be honest I was seeing alot of "stuff" you just don't see on the streets of our small Missouri town!!!!!

Anyway I digress ..somewhat to your point we stumble across the Mel Fisher "Museum"  in the town of Key West..so we walk in and sure enough there are all kinds of  displays with artifacts, photos, cannons etc of the many exploits and treasure recoveries of Mel Fisher and crew ..being pretty good at palavering we got invited to the laboratory ( a very non public place)  and watched the recovery, preservation etc of artifacts that had just been hauled out of the sea ..amazing process ..huge tanks with flowing salt water with artifacts being slowly weaned from saltwater to fresh to preservation 

Any way I bought my "treasure" right there in old Mel's store where he sold the "plunder" ..a silver "piece of eight" necklace which I of course placed around my lovely wife's neck ...just in case she figured out what I was really Ooooing and Ahhhhing about!

Bear

Good on ya, Bear~!  :)

About twenty five years ago a well known, local jewelry store hosted a travelling display of some of Mel's finds.  The Former Missus Hardpan and I took the then five-year old Sassparilla Kid down to see some REAL treasure.  After being "buzzed in" through the security door, one of the Fisher people immediately handed the Kid a silver ingot and said "Here, Kid!  Feel how heave real treasure is!"

He grinned, grasped it with both hands and said "Wow!  It really IS heavy!"  Fondled it for a few minutes, then passed it back.

I would've loved to have bought one of the Spanish dollars, but my budget was kinda tight.

As it turns out, the Kid did have a real buried treasure adventure of his own later... a cool story, but much too long to share here.  :blush:

13 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

As it turns out, the Kid did have a real buried treasure adventure of his own later... a cool story, but much too long to share here.  :blush:

Aw come on Hardpan,

You could serialize it. We’d read it.

CJ

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Aw come on Hardpan,

You could serialize it. We’d read it.

CJ

Sent ya a PM, CJ~!   ^_^

Archived