SASS Wire Forum

Vacuum tubes

Alpo

Back in the 50's I came into possession of a small tube computer while downrange.  It was more of a novelty than useful however. I remember it had a row of about 100 tubes across the top. Like most things over the years it eventually ended up in the dumpster about 40 years ago. It would probably be worth something now as an antique.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

I thought the earliest (and still the best) computers use synapses and neurons. ^_^

Too many of them have faulty logic. 

For proof just examine anyone in government. 

I remember there were about 2-3  6GH8's in those old tv sets. RCA, Zenith, GE, Magnavox etc  USAF trained me back in '76 for television equipment and radio communications.  It was tail end of tubes and began the hybrid tube/solid state units.  They had their own set of problems.   

When my moms man friend John, passed and his son was selling off his treasures, he found boxes of raytheon tubes in the attic. You see John was a radio man in the Army and later a radio man in business. Allot of the tubes were new and some were used, but his son listed them on E-bay and they were all sold to some Japanese fellas. These sold for a staggering 25,000 US dollars.  

There was a lady woodworker that lived over in Oceanside and she had a small industrial building where she built vacuum tubes for some type of radar system used by a lot of middle eastern countries. I guess it is very specialized and when we went into Iraq in 2003 she was very happy because after we destroyed their radar they’d replace it with the same equipment with her tubes in it. Don’t know if she still builds them or not.

Inside there is a special tube that converts 6 or 12 VDC into AC. Then it feeds a transformer that steps up the low voltage up to the 2 to 3 hundred volts that the vacuum tubes required.

History of obsolete car audio, part 1: Early radio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_audio#Radio

Vibrator (electronic)

An excellent thread ALPO.  There is no short answer to the Q but I can tell you that with the huge number of tube type Transceivers and manufactures, it would be a shot in the dark being able to pull a tube from a tube TV and installing on a ham rig. Not impossible as long as the tube type was the same or an interchangeable replacement. 

Theres a person locally who has a huge collection of things.Look under Tommy Bolack.

Largo

I had a friend that ran a SAM Anti-aircraft missile battery and shoot down US planes regularly.  He said it was made up with vacuum tubes portable and easy to repair. His was at at Eglin Air Force Base in Florida. The markings on it were Russian, Egyptian, Hebrew and English and it had a few bullet holes. His job was to teach pilots to avoid radar! He said he learned to watch planes with binoculars and turn on the missile radar at the last minute.  Col. Jack Pitchford, a Wild Weasel pilot and POW , our good friend always kidded he wished he had learned the lesson better before he went to Nam.

Archived