SASS Wire Forum

Brisk this morning

evil dogooder

Woke up to -24.  Wind chill puts it at -40.  

Makes for a cold morning feeding the stock

Think about it this way.   It is 95 degrees warmer in my house than outside,     GW

Reminds me of winter at Great Lakes Naval Training Center in ‘79. -40 with windchill with those lovely brisk breezes coming off Lake Michigan. :blink:

My power is on and there is natural gas in the pipelines to heat my house.  The snow melted off the roads in my village by mid-afternoon yesterday.  I feel blessed.  All my family on the left coast is without power due to a major ice storm.  Praying they and Texas get their power back soon.  This situation endangers life.

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

Screenshot_20210213-080308_Facebook.jpg

Oh, the tales I could tell of Indiana! 

My dad and uncle owned a garage in a small town. I was an "actual" employee when I turned 13 and "pressed" employee long before that. A few winter adventures included:

• Pulling out a stuck truck at -32 deg. We were afraid that the cables might snap so we started the winch and moved out of range!
  • Being out working in -60 deg windchill.
  • Getting the wrecker stuck between 15 foot snowdrifts and having to walk 2 miles in sub zero cold and snow across country to get to the spot that my uncle could drive to with his jeep. We were able to extract the wrecker two days later.
  • ICE! I went through a one lane bridge sideways once in the wrecker when a car tried to beat me to it (I was much closer and had the right of way). I braked, slid and made it through.
  • Going out in the snow, getting covered with it, coming into the garage, snow melting and being all wet, going back out again and having my clothes freeze solid!
  • Getting a Jeep stuck in the snow a couple of miles from town, walking in to get the wrecker, pulling the Jeep out, taking the wrecker back and then walking back to get the Jeep. (There was an away basketball game that night and all of the available people that could help me were out of town. It was a very small town.)

An away basketball game empties small town here. And a home game doubles the population! We lived in Nappanee for four years. The night of an away game the town was silent. 

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

My power is on and there is natural gas in the pipelines to heat my house.  The snow melted off the roads in my village by mid-afternoon yesterday.  I feel blessed.  All my family on the left coast is without power due to a major ice storm.  Praying they and Texas get their power back soon.  This situation endangers life.

I've heard of some isolated ones, but no major ones in our area. They were urging people to conserve and may have to have brief outages to prevent overloads but none so far. We're about 150 miles west of Ft. Worth. Lots of snow but very powdery. Almost no ice thank heaven. We're in a transition zone of sorts, when this sort of thing happens it's usually snow to the north, rain to the south and we get ice. :angry:

JHC

2 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Besides the hole would probably freeze over before you could gt your line to water. 

Snowing too hard today. 

Just now, Michigan Slim said:

Snowing too hard today. 

Glad for you Slim. I just found out that Washington State uses a salt brine on their frozen streets.

I thought I left the salt in Detroit. 

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Glad for you Slim. I just found out that Washington State uses a salt brine on their frozen streets.

I thought I left the salt in Detroit. 

Combo salt and beet juice here. Not today though. Just pushing snow.

True Story:

When I was station in NE North Dakota, it was late January and I was sitting in a barber shop waiting my turn. 

The talk was about the extremely cold weather. 

I asked, "Tell me fellas, what's good about this cold weather here?" 

One old gentleman sagely replied, "Well, it keeps the riffraff out."

32 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

True Story:

When I was station in NE North Dakota, it was late January and I was sitting in a barber shop waiting my turn. 

The talk was about the extremely cold weather. 

I asked, "Tell me fellas, what's good about this cold weather here?" 

One old gentleman sagely replied, "Well, it keeps the riffraff out."

Used to but they learned about Under Armor       GW

-17 degrees here in the Dairyland.  A bit chilly.  Plant manager in  KS is telling us of rolling black outs so they sent everyone home.  Two operations in MX are being shut down because it is below freezing and the government, who controls the power and gas, is focusing on the residential, so everyone gets to go home.  I was outside for 2 hours yesterday moving snow.  My truck wouldn't start so I used the tractor.  As I'm bracing against the wind, that made it cold, I remembered that I had some starting fluid.  That diesel jumped to life once it got a taste of ether.

The silver lining is, at least it isn't dumping snow on us.  Too cold to snow.  Today, for the first time this year, I put my long johns on.  The jury is out on if it is doing any good or not.  Walking on water is not uncommon here either.  Some people are bored enough to go pound holes in the ice to catch fish.  I never liked fishing that much.  I like it for the social aspects and camaraderie.  I'm not big into self abuse.  I'm a fair weather sportsman.  If there is a fisheree I might go and buy some raffle tickets but I'm standing on the ice all day to win a prize for the biggest fish.  Now that I think about it, I'm going to sell my ice gear.  I think I prefer to sit on the beach somewhere.

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Reminds me of winter at Great Lakes Naval Training Center in ‘79. -40 with windchill with those lovely brisk breezes coming off Lake Michigan. :blink:

Winter of '79. Worst I can recall. 

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Cold ain't they. That is why the Navy went there. Military bases are not generally chosen for their recreation climate. 

My cousin was in the Navy Reserves, and he got to visit that facility a time or two. I was lucky,

I got to visit Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo, and Ft. Riley, Ks.

Archived