SASS Wire Forum

Dusty Boots

I would appreciate some guidance about choosing a shot timer. I have never had one and am not sure what features are worthwhile. The features that I know are important to me are that it be reliable, have a screen I can easily read, simple to operate (no short novel length instructions manual). It would be nice if I could down load records to my Mac to track my progress. Also is has a delay start, has the ability to record dry fire training exercises, and has some sort of clip/mechanism to attach it to my clothes.  My web searches show that most seem to be comparably  priced, so  the functionality is more important to me,

Thanks in advance

DB

Does anyone have experience with  an AMG Lab Commander Shot Timer?  Looks like it has many of the features I am looking for especially being able to down load to an iPad.

Following this thread since I also want one. While phone/laptop sync would be nice, I would take as a base reference for a working shot timer...

Those blue ones that seem to be used at almost every competition. Good loud beep, registers the shots, and big easy to read numbers. Who makes those and what models are clubs using?

I gave up on phone apps, the microphone on the phones just don't reliably register my shots (and then sometimes register shots from the next bay) and the beep from a phone speaker is simply not as loud as what a real shot timer emits.

The two that I am familiar with are the PACT and the Competition Electronics (The Blue One).  Both will work fine.  I prefer the Competition Electronics.  But that just a personal preference.

We use the Competition Electronics Pocket Pro and Pocket Pro II.  Simple to operate, good battery life, easy to hear, delay or instant, pocket clip on the back, sensitivity easily adjustable to handle .22s or dry fire, big display that you can see with the microphone facing the muzzle blast, and they’ll rebuild one for no more than half price. 

I have also used:

PACT Club timers; I like them, also have a pocket clip, but not quite as simple to operate as the Pocket Pro.

CED 7000s;  Rechargeable, lots of additional features you might like, smallest of any I have used, seem sensitive enough, although I am not sure how to adjust that, and require reset between runs so you don’t accidentally wipe a time before recording it.  The only thing I dislike about them is that the display is on the same face as the microphone, so it is difficult to confirm it is picking up shots without turning the mic away from the muzzle blast.  

The competition electronics (pocket pro II) is what I have (3) and is probably the most common around my area.

Advantages - easy to see screen with battery level indicator, batteries seem to last a long time, push button to start, easily adjustable for delay/instant, has a clip (that I don't normally use), loud buzzer and par time/sensitivity is easy to set/change, even new are relatively inexpensive.

Disadvantages - they don't like being dropped, have had a couple go back for rebuild from a hip high fall to a boardwalk, rebuild was cheap around $50 shipped IIRC and when wet they can get a little out of sorts.

Best attribute is that CE stands behind their product very well with no issues regarding customer service or quality of repair. Although I thought I heard the person answering the phone laugh a little when I told them I was by myself and knocked the timer to the ground and then kicked it to the opposite side of the stage when practicing a transition pivot to my left and tripped over the table I was using. :rolleyes:

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Conpetition Electronics hands down the best choice . Had mine 20 years . Always works easy to use,and easy on batterys

If it's raining put the timer in a zipper type plastic bag. It still works just fine. I put the bag in my duster pocket so it will be handy when it rains.

5 hours ago, Kulshan 20262 said:

If it's raining put the timer in a zipper type plastic bag. It still works just fine. I put the bag in my duster pocket so it will be handy when it rains.

I had to do a reshoot at a big match because the timer did not pick up the last shot when it was in the plastic bag.  The bag covered the mike.

I lost two last year at a Long Range Match, a PACT and a Competition Electronics II (The Blue One).  I really couldn't tell the difference when using them to time a match.  I have since replaced them with three Competition Electronics IIs.  I bought one in light brown, one in blue, and one in black and put my initials all over the cases.  They seem to do what I need them to do. 

You can find them on EBay, but you can also be ripped off there.  I bought one from Midway USA on sale.

I've used both over the years. Just prefer the PACT. I have 2 going on 15 years now. Finally broke A case screw on 1. A bit of duct tape and still as good as new. Both brands are just fine. Buy which one you gat the best price on.  I have some CED stuff which is great quality but with all the features can be a bit user unfriendly.

Hmmm, for general timing (dry fire probably would not matter). I like the competition electronics be.  As I recall with it, when timing someone and you touch the buzzer it goes fast right 5hen whereas, if I am corr3ct, the Pact model does not go off till the finger is released.  Your current need might be dry fire but down the road you may wish to time others.  I live the Competition Electronics and my friend lives the Pact.  Mine has held up to being dropped.  Read the comments, pick one, and regardless of choice you will probably do well.

I'm a big fan of the Pact3 timer.  its louder than anything else that I've seen at the range.

I also like the display, shows the first shot, the total time & the split on the last shot fired.   Also allows you to review the shots forward & backward, if you need to check the timer for shots fired it much easier than the blue timers.

It does have a release style start button.   Just press and hold until after you give the shooter a stand by...

Been using a PACT III for about 8 years now for practice. My opinion is that it has the loudest beeps. Before I got my Cochlear implants (I'm deaf) I bought a DAA wrist timer because I could hold it close to one ear for the beep during practice. It recorded 1st shot & total time just fine, but I could never get it to get all of the splits correctly.

1 hour ago, Max Payne said:

Been using a PACT III for about 8 years now for practice. My opinion is that it has the loudest beeps. Before I got my Cochlear implants (I'm deaf) I bought a DAA wrist timer because I could hold it close to one ear for the beep during practice. It recorded 1st shot & total time just fine, but I could never get it to get all of the splits correctly.

I’m probably going to get my 2nd implant this yr , sometimes technology is wonderful isn’t it . 

I wasn't super pleased with my DAA wrist timer. It doesn't reliably pick up dry fires and some of the features aren't suited well for cowboy shooting.  Their support told me it's made for Airsoft, not cowboy action

On 2/14/2021 at 10:49 PM, Buckshot Bob said:

This guy is pretty good and it looks like he likes to use his phone. Never though of it until I saw his video 

I've enjoyed several of his You-Tube videos. However, I must say his chambers are beveled pretty deep. I'm surprised he doesn't have misfire problems.

28 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

I've enjoyed several of his You-Tube videos. However, I must say his chambers are beveled pretty deep. I'm surprised he doesn't have misfire problems.

He’s all about speed . So I’m guessing he’s looking for every advantage. And it’s pretty impressive how fast some of these guys are . 
Not me my SASS name probably should have been slow poke 

Archived