SASS Wire Forum

PRIMERS

Cutthroat Cody

I've done the rain dance, written on a chalkboard I'll be good a thousand times AND took the neighbors dog out for a walk for week straight (plus said my prayers at night) hoping for some primers.........nothing yet.   :(

2 minutes ago, Cutthroat Cody said:

I've done the rain dance, written on a chalkboard I'll be good a thousand times AND took the neighbors dog out for a walk for week straight (plus said my prayers at night) hoping for some primers.........nothing yet.   :(

Soon!!!

40 minutes ago, Cutthroat Cody said:

There are plenty on Gunbroker. 

1 minute ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

OWCH!

What's sad is that last month I griped about paying $135 for a thousand. Today it looks like a reasonable price. At least I should have enough for this year's matches.

20 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

What's sad is that last month I griped about paying $135 for a thousand. Today it looks like a reasonable price. At least I should have enough for this year's matches.

I took extra primers to matches last year and was selling them for $36-40 a thousand and I sold two boxes all season. I’ll bet they are kicking themselves now. 

3 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

That's what I tell folks there are plenty of primers, they're just all on Gunbroker.  A few months ago folks were complaining about Gun Show prices of $75 per thousand, I said then that might turn out to be a bargain.

Randy

10 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

That's what I tell folks there are plenty of primers, they're just all on Gunbroker.  A few months ago folks were complaining about Gun Show prices of $75 per thousand, I said then that might turn out to be a bargain.

Randy

Randy, this weeks gun show at Lebanon, TN primers were $400 per thousand.

When this pandemic is over I sure hope folks have learned - over demand and no supply and the vultures are the only winners putting their pre-pandemic inventory out at astronomical prices.  Supply will come back, so stock up slowly with a year's inventory on hand or Pay Later if it should happen again.

I read the 2019 tea leaves when gun purchase numbers started going through the ceiling- bought 4 bricks total of Federal LR and LP at #39.00 a brick.  Thankful that I did to add to existing inventory

11 hours ago, Deadwood Miner, SASS # 45575 said:

Randy, this weeks gun show at Lebanon, TN primers were $400 per thousand.

I thought that $75 might turn out to be a bargain. That's more than I paid for 223 a couple of years ago

Randy

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Ya know how long it took me to figure out what the heck TN primers are?  :lol:

TN Primers = Tain't No Primers

Any real outlaws out there,  Canada has lots of primers at original 2019 prices,  now how to get them into the States, they say they will not ship to the USA. 

28 minutes ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

Any real outlaws out there,  Canada has lots of primers at original 2019 prices,  now how to get them into the States, they say they will not ship to the USA. 

It's a pretty open border... I once walked about 3/4 mile up into Canada on a hunt north of Yaak, MT, carrying a rifle and wearing a revolver on my hip, without realizing what that 30' wide clear cut was. There was a gravel road on the other side of a creek in the bottom of a shallow valley where I finally realized I was in a *foreign country*, turned around, and went back to the states. :lol:

So far my supply is holding out, but I'm not convinced that this is going to end as soon as some folks think it is, and when it does primers are going to be expensive.  With the new political climate being what it is this is a Golden Opportunity for them to make a grab at more control over the Shooting World.  I just can't believe that one of the "Enemy Among Us" will let this pass when they realize how vulnerable we are right now. Mine and Fannie's current shooting schedule takes about 1,000 rounds per month... (two days each for a minimum two different clubs). After this next week end I'm cutting out all Saturday shooting except for Annual matches. If things don't let up I would like to have a good size stash of ammo and emergency rations.

Snakebite

9 hours ago, Major General Shagnasty said:

i do believe this has been done before with a liquid substances during prohibition.

On 2/15/2021 at 9:56 AM, John Boy said:

When this pandemic is over I sure hope folks have learned - over demand and no supply and the vultures are the only winners putting their pre-pandemic inventory out at astronomical prices.  Supply will come back, so stock up slowly with a year's inventory on hand or Pay Later if it should happen again.

I read the 2019 tea leaves when gun purchase numbers started going through the ceiling- bought 4 bricks total of Federal LR and LP at #39.00 a brick.  Thankful that I did to add to existing inventory

The latest Federal podcast by the CEO explains that in 2015 they expanded ammo manufacturing capacity which in addition to competitors expanding capacity lead to an overcapacity after Trump was elected and demand for firearms and ammo dipped from the Obama years levels.  In 2020 demand for firearms & ammo increased to the point that Federal hired & trained employees to operate operations to 24/7/365.  This included operating production lines that had been shutdown due to overcapacity.  He also said they have in the months; since, acquiring the Remington ammo manufacturing assets they have been hiring hundreds of employees to ramp up Remington ammo production.  With ammo production at 24/7/365 rate all the primer production goes into produced ammo.   Therefore we won't primers until ammo is on the shelves of gun stores.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2021 at 8:36 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I thought that $75 might turn out to be a bargain. That's more than I paid for 223 a couple of years ago

Randy

I could have bought Federal Match grade small pistol primers a couple months ago for $55 a thousand and thought they were crazy. Right now I have about 9,000 and should last me a few years. When they become available again for around $40 to $50 a thousand I am going to buy $1000 worth and not be in this situation again

Early before things went wacko I bought 7k SPP and 3k LPP for $35@1000. Now since switching to Classic Cowboy I wish I would have flipped the amounts but at least I have enough to shoot a year or two once I get them reloaded.

1 hour ago, The Verdigris Kid said:

Early before things went wacko I bought 7k SPP and 3k LPP for $35@1000. Now since switching to Classic Cowboy I wish I would have flipped the amounts but at least I have enough to shoot a year or two once I get them reloaded.

Kid, you should have no problem at all swapping out some of your SPP for LPP.  Put out the word before a match and do it there.

Oh, and if you will be travelling to central Texas, I got first dibs.  :)

19 hours ago, The Verdigris Kid said:

A couple months ago I traded 1k SPP for 1k LPP because I shoot 38-40 most of the time.

I've been saying that when things break loose I expect the prices to be $50 or less per brick.  People thought I was nuts.

Well, this afternoon I got an email that the 2000 I ordered from a large sporting goods distributor back in mid-November are available and ready for me to pick up tomorrow.

$39.64 per thousand.  Yup.  Less than forty bucks a brick.

Be patient and don't go paying those scalper prices.

I understand that if you're out you gotta get them somewhere, but if you can hold out things will get better.  I was down to the point where I wasn't doing any shooting outside of matches, and only doing one match per month.  Now I have a little leeway.

Just received a text from a friend here in Great Falls Mt that our local gun store, Scheel's has Federal small pistol primers, $34.90 a 1000, 1000 limit.

That's about what they were selling for before the shortage.

Found some fed. match large pistol primers today.They would only let you have 200 and they were $16.00 a 100.He said I could get 200 tomorrow if they still had some.

CCI large pistol on the shelf at $3.99 , limit 500 per customer week before last in Alamogordo,NM. There were Tula large pistol on the shelf in El Paso, TX last week at $3.79. / 100. Yes I bought both brands that were available. Tula have worked in for me in the past, and will  be shooting the Tula at the match this weekend. The CCI will go bang in non CAS guns as well.

They are trickling into the supply stream slowly ;)

Archived