SASS Wire Forum

Gun inventory

Horace Patootie, SASS #35798

Occasionally, I will get everything out of the safe and check the guns and wipe them down. I keep all long guns in Bore Stores. If you're not familiar with them, they are a very good long term storage and are treated with a silicone to prevent rust. 

One of my favorite rifles is a Pedersoli rolling block in 50-140 that I bought years ago from a dealer in Montana. He said it was 50-90 so I had bought dies and components from Buffalo Arms. When I got the rifle, it turned out to be 50-140 so I had to return them and buy the correct dies, etc. The barrel is verrrry heavy. The cartridge is slightly over 4 inches. You can see it on the safe hinge.

Another rifle, one that I have not shot yet, is a 1886 Winchester in 45-70 that was made in 1897 according to the letter.  It had been reblued at some point. I am going to shoot it when I get all of the stuff to reload 45-70.

Next is my 1873 in 45 Colt.  I just had to have the 30 inch barrel. My Rugers are 3.75 inch barrels. I used antique silver tacks on this rifle. I had, some years ago sold a 1866 that I did brass tack work on.

Anyway, that's my rambling for the day.

Horace

50-140 Rolling Block.jpg

1886 Winchester 45-70 (1897).jpg

1873 30 inch barrel in 45 Colt.jpg

1873 antique silver tacks.jpg

1873 antique silver tack work.jpg

Nice looking rifles.   I too occasionally clean out the safes to check over everything in them.   It's always fun to do that.   I remember once I had EVERYTHING out of all 5 safes, and realized I could open a store if I wanted to.

How the HECK did that happen?

Long barrels on our long guns are a great.   It makes them long, afterall.   I prefer 30" barrels, with full chokes on my shotguns, and I prefer 24" ones on my rifles.  I just like 'em better that way.   I do have some with 20" tubes of course, and they can be fun to shoot as well, but overall I prefer the longer ones.

It was 1 degree here this morning. I sure as heck will not come to Montana !!  Of course I'm kidding. I have long thought that someday I would like to see that part of the country. Been to Colorado alot but never quite to your area of the country.

Horace

With that .50-140 have you had or are  you scheduled for shoulder surgery? :rolleyes:  Shoot it offhand while standing on a skateboard, with you back to a tree or other solid surface and a large coil spring between you and the tree!  The spring should send you back into battery! :P   Montana can be great!  If you are really into Western history and want to see some great country, it is the place to go.  Between September 1st and June 30, you might want to take some warm clothing and survival gear (MRE's etc.) and a shovel in your vehicle.  It can get a little chilly once in a while. (1 Jan 1969 it was -52deg. F in Great Falls and there was no wind!) But that is unusual.  The Charles M. Russell Museum in Great Falls is fantastic.  Out in the Judith Basin, you can see some of the country that appears in some of Charlie's paintings.  BTW, if you see some places surrounded by chainlink fencing DO NOT go up and rattle the fence or the gate, or throw anything over the fence.  You might find yourself up against the fence with an M4 in your back!  :o  Air Force strike teams take a dim view of that sort of behavior.  Used to be good hunting and fishing.  Haven't been there in 52 years, so I don't know how bad "civilization" has encroached.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

What few times I've shot it, it was stout. I was loading it with 5744 and a 685 grain bullet. I would like to try it with APP.  I have not bought any APP yet or found it locally.

Horace

I shoot my Shilo 50-140 a few times a year.  630 grain bullet.  It is stout, but not anything like my 50 bmg.  I sometimes load it with 300 grain bullets for kids and ladies to shoot, just so they can say they shot a Big 50.  The 300 gr bullets are for my 50-110 winchester '86.  The 50-140 holds a bunch of black or aap and makes a bunch of smoke.  Most of my loads are with 5744. 

Cartridges should be like women... slim, with a little curve to 'em... So I really like my .40-90 Sharps Bottle Neck!

DSCN0932.jpg?width=450&height=278&fit=bo

This one has turned out to be a little fickle... but when the stars align, oh my, a goddess!

yup , keep that wife , 

i do periodic clean and maintain , its the right thing if your a good custodian of your old ones and the needed thing for your working guns , if they dont work they arent worth anything in that moment 

You fellers certain that thing is a rifle cartridge and not a torpedo? :D

15 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

You fellers certain that thing is a rifle cartridge and not a torpedo? :D

Yep, there's no little propeller at the back... :P

Archived