SASS Wire Forum

My New Gun List

Pat Riot

I have this list of guns that I want. 
Since this gun drought silliness started my list has changed a bit but 4 guns have risen to the top. They are the S&W 27 Classic, the 586 Classic, the Ruger Blackhawk Convertibles in .357 / 9mm with either the 4.62” barrel or the 6.5” barrel, but I haven’t decided on blued or stainless. I may jump on the .45 Colt / .45 ACP convertible if it becomes the first I come across. 

I owned a Blackhawk for a short while many years ago. I wish I still had it. 

My questions are;

1. What are your impressions of the New Blackhawk?

2. Do they handle Ruger only loads- in .45 Colt? This is merely a curiosity question. I do not really intend to load it up. 

3. What categories in SASS allow for the Blackhawk? I have always shot Vaqueros and really never researched Blackhawks. It appears I can shoot as a Senior now -_- as I am 60 but adjustable sights are NOT (flippin’ auto communista) allowed in Duelist or Gunfighter. As screwed up as my wrists are I am probably going to end up shooting two handed when I can return to shooting matches. :(

I know in the past I have stated that I am thoroughly PO’d at S&W but I want a modern made classic revolver. Have you researched parts for old S&Ws lately? 

If I come across a decent Redhawk I may forego the S&Ws. Redhawks were also on my list. 

As you can see, nothing is set in stone. Availability being what it is it will be catch as catch can. 

I hate auto communista 

The reason they were called "Ruger only" loads, is because they were safe in the Ruger 45, which was built on the Super Blackhawk frame and was much larger and stronger than a Colt.

The new Blackhawk is no longer built on the Super Blackhawk frame, and is now the size of a Colt.

Logic says it is not safe.

The .45 Colt/ACP shot a little better for me than the .357/9 combo . The .357 was fine but 9 was a little looser groups, some have said they saw no difference so it may depend on the loads. And I wish you the best on the model 27! Love those N frame S&Ws.

Pat, I know you have an appreciation for S&W revolvers & the .45 Colt cartridge.   I do also.  So I got a S&W 25-5.

S&W Model 25-5 in .45 Colt.  I call this one my "Black Beauty."

8fz6yU.jpg

4rXoi1.jpg

I began shooting my Black Hawks again and enjoyed the big sights. It's not so much the adjustability, but the larger sight picture. Now with the primer situation, I've pulled out my Charles Daly .45's again to keep mama supplied in .38 & .32. If the primer shortage gets back to normal, I'll probably go back to my Rugers.

I bought a new 629 with the lock. Still don't care for the lock, but it's still a nice gun.

My next gun may be a Pedersoli Lightning, I should find out this coming weekend.

9 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Pat, I know you have an appreciation for S&W revolvers & the .45 Colt cartridge.   I do also.  So I got a S&W 25-5.

8fz6yU.jpg

4rXoi1.jpg

Gorgeous! 

40 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

And I wish you the best on the model 27! Love those N frame S&Ws.

There was a 4” model 27 Classic at Sportsman’s Warehouse that I called about just a little too late. It sold. 

Now I find that the 4” is no longer on the CA handgun roster. Which really irks me that I missed out on that one at SW. 

I have also always wanted a 586. I want the 4” but I know where there is a 6” right now. 

It seems with all this panic buying that everything is up for grabs and who knows when some of these guns will be readily available again?

1 minute ago, Go West said:

CA doesn't allow 4" handguns? My 629 is a 4 and I love the looks and handling.

It seems S&W didn’t renew the application for the 4” 27. No idea why. 

PS: there are no barrel length restrictions here...yet

I have a 7 1/2" 3 screw .45 convertible (no you can't have it ;)) Back before I had magnums bigger than a .357 I experimented with .45 LC moose loads. Gun ate 'em up, but .45 brass was not designed for .44 Mag pressures and the cases bulged pretty bad. I had loaded up a progression of charges of 296 and pulled the last one or two. It and a 3 screw .357 were the two pistols I used for a long time when I started SASS. Tried and tried to find another .45 to match mine but never did. I did find one fella tried to sell me on the wire but decided I didn't want it $800 bad. I also have a .357 and .41 mag NM Blackhawk. They're Hell for stout, don't know if you'd live long enough to wear one out.

JHC

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

8fz6yU.jpg

4rXoi1.jpg

Jim Taylor (Known locally as the "pistol packing preacher) carried one of these under his suit coat while preaching.

Hey NOZ 

hope ya is staying warm , 

as to the Ruger 9/357 , I feel the 6 1/2 is much more accurate than the shorter ones , haveing had a brace of em , one of the girls claimed 

thinking I need to find a real nice Mod 19 S&W , 4 in , 357 , I prefer blue to SS 

Saw a 4 3/4 in Ruger SS Bisley , 45Colt/45acp , I might try to get a deal going on 

CB 

I shoot a lot of Rugers and have always shot Blackhawks in SASS.  The Blackhawks will take a pounding and keep coming back for more.  I shot pistol silhouette with a Blackhawk in 45 Colt loaded HOT from 1974 to 79 and did quite well.  Also used the same Ruger to shoot Bowling Pins not loaded quite as hot but certainly warm.  The gun still shoots as well or better than I can.  During that period used a Super Blackhawk but the trigger guard kept whacking my middle knuckle with heavy loads.  I also got a Redhawk from Ruger to shoot silhouette with but hated the grip with heavy loads.  It was one of the first 500 so maybe they changed the grip since then.  I had a .475 Linebaugh made on a Ruger and its a lot easier to shoot than my .454.  Have a Blackhawk in .41 mag. as well took a nice deer with it a few years ago at 111 steps.  Of course your results may vary.

20 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Now I find that the 4” is no longer on the CA handgun roster. Which really irks me that I missed out on that one at SW. 

20 hours ago, Go West said:

CA doesn't allow 4" handguns? My 629 is a 4 and I love the looks and handling.

20 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It seems S&W didn’t renew the application for the 4” 27. No idea why. 

PS: there are no barrel length restrictions here...yet

Well, I happily discovered that I am mistaken. It turns out that for some weird reason the CA DOJ listed the 4” model 27 on the roster as “M27”. Why? Who knows...it’s the California DOJ. Half the stuff they do makes no sense. 

Anyway, this puts the S& 27 Classic 4” at the very tippy-top of my “want list”. 

So therefore, like I told @DeaconKC this means I will probably find a smokin’ deal on a Blackhawk or an S&W 586. Haha.

It never fails. Whenever I decide on something gun related another deal that I can’t pass up comes along. Not that I would be complaining. ;)

Here is how the b’crats at DOJ listed the 4” model versus the 6.5” model 27:

M27-9 SKU 150339A

27-9 (Blue) SKU 150341A

44 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I happily discovered that I am mistaken. It turns out that for some weird reason the CA DOJ listed the 4” model 27 on the roster as “M27”. Why? Who knows...it’s the California DOJ. Half the stuff they do makes no sense. 

Anyway, this puts the S& 27 Classic 4” at the very tippy-top of my “want list”. 

So therefore, like I told @DeaconKC this means I will probably find a smokin’ deal on a Blackhawk or an S&W 586. Haha.

It never fails. Whenever I decide on something gun related another deal that I can’t pass up comes along. Not that I would be complaining. ;)

Here is how the b’crats at DOJ listed the 4” model versus the 6.5” model 27:

M27-9 SKU 150339A

27-9 (Blue) SKU 150341A

"HALF the stuff they do makes no sense"?

Pat, Ol' Buddy, Ol' Pal, I put it at closer to 99% makes no sense....and that holds true for almost everything else in that state ( and others, too) these days.

26 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

"HALF the stuff they do makes no sense"?

Pat, Ol' Buddy, Ol' Pal, I put it at closer to 99% makes no sense....and that holds true for almost everything else in that state ( and others, too) these days.

How very true. 710 days....

23 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

8fz6yU.jpg

4rXoi1.jpg

That is just too dang purty Birdgun. 

Have had a hankering for a .357 mag double action revolver for some time as I currently do not own one (had a Model 66 2 3/4" when I was a detective late 80's). Really wanted a Model 19 as I love the blue and wood (see Birdgun's). Want an older model without the safety, but prices are sky high. New Smith's retail for around $795 but are virtually unobtainable right now. Went to Sportsmans to see if they could order one (NO) but saw they had a row of stainless Smith's (police trade-ins) on the wall that weren't there a couple days before. Three Model 66's and one Model 65. Two of the 66's were 2 3/4", one was 4". The 65 was a 4"er. The 4" 66 was the best of the lot (VG condition, clean as a whistle) the others were just OK. I now own a 4" S&W Model 66:wub:

My tire kicking wishlist would be a Savage SS 223 Model 12 LRPV, and a Ruger manufactured Marlin 1894CB in 44 magnum octagonal.
Don't need either, but these would be the last two.

Archived