SASS Wire Forum

14° my hiney!!!...

Singin' Sue 71615

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

@Singin' Sue 71615 these are just my wife's small flock plus a few bachelor roosters we let free roam. The girls have a nice coop and yard i built through rowdy roosters a safe box to hole up in for bad weateher and at night to avoid coyotes.. 

As a kid our incubator would live in my bedroom closet. Ever so often it'd go CHUNK as it turned the eggs and once them little idiots hatched peep peep peep peep nonstop. 

Amazing how loud those little "peeps' get when amplified by 60 or so!!!

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Well, we never had to lately.

Only second time for pipes to freeze in 21 years.

But...had great pressure last night...a drizzle this morning.

Hoping we don't have more than frozen pipes!!!

Hmmmm....pressure switch at minimum...tank possible:mellow:

Just now, Sedalia Dave said:

Check that the line to the pressure switch isn't frozen.  Thaw it out with a light bulb.

Yup. He's on that right now. Has the blowdryer down there with him!!!

I'm glad he can tackle just about anything.

If he couldn't, we wouldn't have the $$s for match fees!!!

11 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Yup. He's on that right now. Has the blowdryer down there with him!!!

I'm glad he can tackle just about anything.

If he couldn't, we wouldn't have the $$s for match fees!!!

As a kid we used a 100 watt light bulb in the pump house to keep everything from freezing, When it got like it is now would put a second one under the pressure switch. Leave 8 to 12 inches of clearance.  Never use an infrared heat lamp they put out too much heat and will set things on fire.

16 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

As a kid we used a 100 watt light bulb in the pump house to keep everything from freezing, When it got like it is now would put a second one under the pressure switch. Leave 8 to 12 inches of clearance.  Never use an infrared heat lamp they put out too much heat and will set things on fire.

Yup. Thanky!!!

When he hit the pipe feeding the pressure switch, it closed...

Looking for the 100 watt bulbs now!

We used to keep a big bulb in the well house also!!!

5 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Minus 26 when I got up this morning.

Light snow overnight but bright sunlight right now.

Too bad my knees are in such bad shape; I'd be out snowshoeing today. 

Close the damn door please 

We don't get this too often in Fort Worth, Texas.  It is currently 16 and feels like -2.  Has been lightly snowing all day and there is about 2" on the ground which is not much by many of your standards.  The major front it supposed to come in this evening and with 4 to 6 more inchs of snow and single digit temps through Monday.

2 minutes ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

We don't get this too often in Fort Worth, Texas.  It is currently 16 and feels like -2.  Has been lightly snowing all day and there is about 2" on the ground which is not much by many of your standards.  The major front it supposed to come in this evening and with 4 to 6 more inchs of snow and single digit temps through Monday.

Oh...I know Ft Worth Snows!!!

Slick as snot, no one can drive in it!!!

I drove a AAA tow truck in Dallas/Ft Worth in 1986.

It was a mess when it snowed!!!

My first husband lives in Hurst...too cold for construction, so he's pretty bored! 

Guess he'll be boted till Monday!

2" here so far, 4 more predicted by late Monday. Then Wednesday we are supposed to get more. The Friday back up into the 40s and 50s by the weekend. Yeeeeesh, glad I'm retired and letting the bad weather do it's thing outside.

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Check that the line to the pressure switch isn't frozen.  Thaw it out with a light bulb.

Okay...so far so good.

Drained tank down, unfroze the 'switch', tank seemed to pressure up. Had a bit of icky water at first, but cleared up nicely.

As we are going into -6 (only got to around 4° today) tonight...we took your advice... 'Heat' bulb in...

Fingers crossed and prayers going!

Currently,  -18  ten miles west of Cheyenne across from the range. Don't know if our weather station goes any lower, lowest I've seen it.

Wind chill -30. Tomorrow the worst should be over for us, supposed to reach 20+, that's closer to normal for this time of year.

14 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Ok this morning it is 7 degrees and fells like -11.  I measured in the same spot on my front sidewalk as yesterday and it is now at 6".  

Got an inch overnight. Calling for up to twelve more before tomorrow night. Will be going into work early tomorrow to plow then I'll run a truck for my boy after work. 

...And the Weather Channel is out here...

On 2/14/2021 at 10:06 AM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Laugh it up, funny boy!!!!

Seriously, we get snow every year...

But when they say 14°, and you wake up to -1° !!!

I think the high yesterday was -1 in America's Dairyland.  Kind of balmy after a start of -17.

Buddy, the wonder dog has been out since about 10am.

He was quite content out while the sun was shining.

He started barking about 3pm.

Sun is no longer 'out' and the temperature lets you know you want a coat, real quick.

Picked up his Kong, and hollered from his gate that he was ready to come inside!!!

Is it Thursday yet??

(We head to Az for a week +)

Archived