SASS Wire Forum

For people that wear glasses

Alpo

How many of y'all actually wear glasses, and how many wear plastics?

As my glasses got thicker and thicker over the years, one of my eye doctors, long about high school probably, suggested plastic. The weight.

Then I got my cataract surgery, and the new lens they put in, while it did not bring my vision to 2020 like they wanted, it made it a whole lot better. I still need to wear glasses though.

And they are glasses. I no longer wear plastics. Glasses don't scratch. Well, I suppose you can scratch them if you tried real hard, but plastic scratches if you look at it crossways. And glass is clearer than plastic.

My job, back when I still worked, required a yearly eye exam. So I go to this eye doctor, and I hand him my glasses so he can check the prescription, to give himself a starting point. And the surprise in his voice - "These are GLASS??!?!?!!"

Contacts never worked for me so I now have gone to trifocals. I get them ANSI safety rated lenses so they can serve as shooting glasses. Also, my nose has been broken so many times a heavier pair would be uncomfortable by the end of the day.

I have worn glasses for 55 years. Since I was 5 years old. I haven’t worn glass eyeglasses since I was in the Navy. My vision is bad. With glass lenses my lenses are really thick. I always pay top dollar for my lenses and get the (edit) high index polycarbonate lenses with all the available coatings. They do not scratch like glass lenses or cheap polycarbonate. If a lens can be damaged or scratched, I am your man. I am hard on glasses. 
In the past few years I have gone back to plastic frames. I am tired of metal frames breaking at the worst possible time and letting me down. 

I only started wearing glasses about 10 years ago.  Perfect vision, pretty much, up to then.

I really think all those computer monitors over the years had an effect, and all I pretty much do any more is sit in front of a monitor.

Anyways, I get ANSI rated safety glasses and I use WileyX frames.  I get the best lens material I can, all the coatings I can and the transition lenses so I'm not having to carry multiple pairs of glasses.

I tried using the metal frames with the little nose pads, but my nose isn't quite strait and them little buggers start to hurt in short order.

I have good insurance and my eyes seem to be getting worse so I get an exam and new frames/glasses yearly.

Genuine glass, and trust me, I found out how to scratch them.

I was cleaning them with common brown dry-your-hands paper towels.

Big mistake.

El Scratcho ... fine little scratches running all directions, it was worst at night when it splattered oncoming headlights glare all over.

My big problem is fogging; tissue between the top of the mandatory-at-work mask, and my lovely (ha!) face, stops exhaled breath from rising and fogging my lenses for a pitifully few minutes ... after that, I resemble Old Foggy.

Soap-and-water wash with air dry is not helpful. (It works for British surgeons but not for me)

Shaving cream to clean the glasses will peel the coating right off the lens, so don't make that mistake.

The little nose pads one time triggered a keloidal reaction on the bridge of my beak, I had a fine skin tag growing where the lower edge irritated my hide; Doc was kind enough to burn it off and it's not returned, I use a full bridge crossing sort of a nose pad nowadays instead of those little landing-gear feet.

I use the high index poly carbonate, coated and progressive. I still manage to scratch em. I lead an active life.

If you haven't looked up zenni optical online its a must. I leave for a work assignment today and have spare glasses in my computer bag and my shaving kit. Also my tackle box my glove box and my shooting glasses. Not affiliated but highly recomended.

Dop kit. Hygiene essentials. That black bag you have when you travel. 

I keep spare glasses anyplace it would be disastrous to lose my glasses after once as a teen on vacation and once as an adult losing my only pair. 

Required by my DOT med card to have them for driving and occasionally still get to drive big trucks for work. Gotta have em 

Howdy,

My eye doc told me to take the DAWN bottle when its empty and fill about half

with filtered water. This is the lightest Dawn solution you can imagine.

Put in a spray bottle and soak lenses. No danger of damage to coatings.

Warm water rinse and wipe with microfibre cloth.

I found a very fine cloth at Bed bathbeyond that is for polishing dishes.

It works great for wiping lenses. The one I found was light grey. magic glass drying towel.

And this same trick works great for cleaning compact disks dvd bluray....

If you clean lenses in the morning while making breakfast they probably

will be good for the day.

This has worked for years.  Not something I was told last week.

And from a doc not off the web.

Best

CR

One very good benefit of polycarbonate lenses in these times...static. It attracts dust, skin oil, particulates. All annoying.

To my way of thinking they should also attract microbes, like viruses. Not so annoying. 

Glass lenses can shatter into sharp fragments. I have a nice “dueling” scar as a result of one of my glass lenses shattering from a freak impact, I was lucky not to have lost my eye. Now I only wear polycarbonate lenses.

I've been buying my D-spot bifocals from Costco, who charges less than half that charged by Kaiser.
We tried Lenscrafters, Stanton, etc and they could not get it right after repeated tries.

I notice the plastic lenses are not uniformly sharp across the field of vision (Dad was an eye doctor).
This is chronic for my shooting Trap.. as my right eye is watching the bird through the very upper-left area of my glasses... ain't very sharp.
This is convenient for blaming misses... but annoying otherwise.

I'm thinking about a single prescription set of glass sunglasses, just for trap.
(The Carlson extended full choke improved my game up to 23/25)

4 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I notice the plastic lenses are not uniformly sharp across the field of vision (Dad was an eye doctor).

Lens Crafters made that change a few years back, the current products from them are only sharp in the center of the lens. Found this to be true at some other retailers.

Finally found an optician which uses a better quality of lens.

Most of the cost of glasses is the frames, and the 2-fer lens coupons bring the cost down. Frames that sell for hundreds at retail are about ten bucks wholesale, opticians would make money even if they gave the lenses for free with frame purchase so I don't really understand why any dispenser will use less than optimal lenses.

I did get a "sports" prescription for shooting using the same frame style as my daily glasses but a different color. My sports prescription puts the front sight of a Beretta M9  held in an isosceles stance in sharp focus. I brought a plastic training gun in for the fitting.

Been wearing them since 5th grade. Started out in glass, but once my scrip got so far along switched to polycarbs to save the weight on my nose. I have a narrow bridge so I'm locked into nose pads( thanks parents). I prefer metal frame with plastic temples as I tend to turn metal green(  lots of acid in my system). Using progressive's now on transition lenses, although I could drive without them, but don't ask me to read the gauges after cataract surgery on both eyes. Glasses are now mostly to correct astigmatism on the  distance part. Working my way through glaucoma too.

@Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 and those who enjoy having your glasses fog up. I found some stuff at Walmart called "Cat Crap" that really cuts down on the fogging. And some stuff called Nerdwax, it's online, that will keep your glasses from continually sliding down the bridge of your nose.

30 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

@Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 and those who enjoy having your glasses fog up. I found some stuff at Walmart called "Cat Crap" that really cuts down on the fogging. And some stuff called Nerdwax, it's online, that will keep your glasses from continually sliding down the bridge of your nose.

Also, try surgical masks and tuck them well under your glasses. This really helps. 

Examples:

A46FB3BA-5A80-47C0-964B-948C9F5A4EDF.thumb.jpeg.299e8edfceac013477431acbb3dbdce6.jpeg

8A43AD0B-6F69-4363-A0E4-5CAABC37A99A.thumb.jpeg.264edab62a861f6fc29eddbcc0cf1807.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Also, try surgical masks and tuck them well under your glasses. This really helps. 

Examples:

A46FB3BA-5A80-47C0-964B-948C9F5A4EDF.thumb.jpeg.299e8edfceac013477431acbb3dbdce6.jpeg

8A43AD0B-6F69-4363-A0E4-5CAABC37A99A.thumb.jpeg.264edab62a861f6fc29eddbcc0cf1807.jpeg

Yup, it sure does! When the lockdowns started last year, I was an "essential" worker and my Missus found that Cat Crap spray, it amazed me how much it helped.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

My problem is surgical masks and a beard don't go together.

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

And I'm not shaving, either. 

I wore a beard for years. Since I shaved it I just can’t get comfortable with it when I try to grow another one. Finally just gave up. 

4 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wore a beard for years. Since I shaved it I just can’t get comfortable with it when I try to grow another one. Finally just gave up. 

When I retired I started letting my beard and hair (head) grow.

My beard is currently down to my sternum.  It's been trimmed a couple times since early 2013 but never completely.

My hair was almost to my belt when I finally got it cut, and went back to a high & tight flattop, in Feb 2018.  I kept it like that until April of last year when barber shops over here were closed.  It's been tough letting it grow back out - irritating on the ears especially.  I'm continuing to let it grow now because (1) it's still a PITA to get into a barber shop and (2) it appears to be pissing off some of the senior officers and civilians as it doesn't meet their definition of clean and tidy.

19 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

I've been using Scott Nofog from the snowmobile dealer.  It is marketed for goggles and helmet visors.

Archived