SASS Wire Forum

Just for fun ~ how many points?

Folks in different parts of the country count points differently.

This is a mule deer the late Sergeant McDermott took someplace near Grand Junction back in the 60's.  He shot the critter with a "duffel bag" Mauser he brought back from Italy, re-barreled with a machined 26" Enfield barrel - .30-06, 180 gr Sierra soft-point Spitzer bullet, IMR 4350 powder in Denver '42 brass.  A favorite brass of his, from his experience in the war - Denver '42 cases loaded with copper FMJ bullets.

So... how would ya count them points?  :)

Resized_output_image1613276739215.jpeg.54a6f59a7a509660fdeb1e174608a640.jpeg

I was always told it had to measure more than one inch to be counted.

I recall reading one time that it had to be big enough to support a man's wedding ring.

Depending on whether the lower fork of the little fork on the left side would hold the ring, I would count it as either a 14-point or a 15 point.

But since there are no mule deer east of the Mississippi, then that would obviously be Western count, making that a seven point.

10 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I recall reading one time that it had to be big enough to support a man's wedding ring.

I'm sure that's not official but I've heard that since I was a kid.

JHC

I'd call it a 5 x 6 (or maybe a 6 x 7).  But then, I'm in the west.  If I were in the east it would be

Nb + Lb + Nt +  f(x0) -(limΔx0 ΔyΔxlimΔx0) (f(x0+Δx)f(x0)Δx/R3 ) = [ ((2.35x106 s)2  (6.673 x 10-11 N m2/kg2) • (5.98x1024 kg) ) / (4  (3.1415)2) ]R3 = 5.58 x 1025 m3

I would call this a 6x6 or a 6x7 depending on the size of the points on the RH side of the picture. That would include the brow tines.

You might check in with Big Sage (an accomplished hunter with great experience) or Aspen Wrangler (don't know if he still guides/outfits but he did for a number of years)

Regardless it is an excellent animal.

It would get credit as a point if the length of the spur was at least one inch and longer than the width of the base of the point in question. (page 36 Colorado Big Game guide).

Deer antler restrictions are currently only - a male with an antler longer than 5 inches is a buck, a male with antlers less than 5 inches is "antlerless" and can mean either a very young male or a doe. (page 20 Colorado Big Game guide). Currently elk have point restrictions of at least 4 points on one antler OR a brow tine of at least 5 inches in most Game Management Units in Colorado (page 36 Colorado Big Game guide)

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'd call it a 5 x 6 (or maybe a 6 x 7).  But then, I'm in the west.  If I were in the east it would be

Nb + Lb + Nt +  f(x0) -(limΔx0 ΔyΔxlimΔx0) (f(x0+Δx)f(x0)Δx/R3 ) = [ ((2.35x106 s)2  (6.673 x 10-11 N m2/kg2) • (5.98x1024 kg) ) / (4  (3.1415)2) ]R3 = 5.58 x 1025 m3

That sounds/looks about right !!! :D

Regards

Gateway Kid

How would you count this one? Found it the first morning of Arizona archery deer season in 1986 on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Looked like maybe a mountain lion kill.

A4F328DE-CA98-45E0-B1A0-76DF6D0BBF4B.jpeg

FAFC6F27-0778-487E-A8E4-992B0A443989.jpeg

7 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

OOPS!  I forgot to divide by √ ( NASDAQ - Dl)^3, where l is lunar distance on the day of the harvest.

If im home in mn 15 point

If im out at my brother's in Idaho 8x7

Now how I personally count it?   8 knife handles 6 bullet pushers  and a bunch of buttons

Where I grew up in the east they count all the points on both racks for a total. 
Here in the west, they either count each side like Joe did or the just count one side, like the guys in Oregon, but I don’t know if they use the higher or lower number. I also don’t know what makes a valid “point”. 

I know my idiot in-laws would count every point as a “point”. Those tunes with 2 little points at the end would be 2 points. 

Personally, I couldn’t care less about points. I would be more interested in pounds...pounds of meat to make sausage and jerky. ;)

8 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

That sounds/looks about right !!! :D

Regards

Gateway Kid

that's how I figured it with an eastern count of 11.

Seems to me the biggest difference in how to count points between east and west is in the west we don't need to take our shoes off to keep it accurate!  :P  :)  :D

That is especially important on a cold, snowy, fall/winter day! :lol:  :rolleyes:  :lol:

Before anyone gets offended please note the humorous emoji's and take into consideration I just got back from the store with my coffee (that is currently brewing) that I ran out of yesterday.

Regards

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Here in the west, they either count each side like Joe did or the just count one side,

If both sides have the same, e.g. 5, then it would just be "Five points."  If it is asymetric, as the photo, the it would be  " Five by Six" or whatever.  One of my dad's friends had, if I recall, a  "Four by Seven."  

Archived