SASS Wire Forum

Tomorrow's Valentine Day!!!...

Singin' Sue 71615

This will be our 38th! 37 years married and one while we were engaged. She is a sweetie.

Coming up on 31 years married,  plus 2 years living together.   We've never made a  deal of St. Valentine's day.  In fact,  my wife loathes it.  First because of the one sidedness of it and second because of the idea that a gift given because it is dictated by a contrived social convention should somehow be more special than a spontaneous gift other times of the year. 

FB_IMG_1613256649611.jpg

11 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

We've never made a  deal of St. Valentine's day.  In fact,  my wife loathes it.  First because of the one sidedness of it and second because of the idea that a gift given because it is dictated by a contrived social convention should somehow be more special than a spontaneous gift other times of the year. 

My wife and I feel the same way

My wife is type one diabetic, so candy is a no no, so this year I did something I think she will like. She has a green thumb and loves to grow plant and flowers, so I bought one of those big heart shaped chocolate samplers. Then I dumped out the candy and filled each cavity with some dirt and random flower seeds. Packed more dirt on top and closed the box back up. I was able to save the clear wrapping and put it back on the package as though it was never tampered with. Now when she starts to grow these I can quote Forest Gump.

Had one before we were married, 51 more before she passed and this will be the 4th since then.

Started out with eleven short stemmed red roses and a white carnation and only missed the year I was in 'Nam...bur sister pitched in for me.

I couldn't afford long stemmed roses and a white carnation was my fraternity's official flower.  After the first couple of years it became a tradition.  I ordered them Thursday and picked them up this morning.  They'll be on the breakfast table before sun up tomorrow.

My wife and I have been married for over 40 years. We don’t celebrate Valentines Day because every day is Valentines Day to us. When we first got married we agreed to not do things on Valentines Day because we watched so many others stress out over it. 

This year I did buy my wife a necklace with a little working compass pendant because I got a smokin’ deal on Amazon. The compass is just a little something to tell her that I would be lost without her. :wub:

Here’s the kicker. It was supposed to be here today but it got delayed  so it’ll probably show up Monday. A perfect example of things that can go wrong and cause stress on Valentines Day. :lol: So, technically, I will not be celebrating Valentines Day.
See, it all works out. ;)

9 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

If good man is in a loving relationship with a good woman,

Everyday is Valentine's Day!

I had to break the news I got a travel assignment and was required to be at the desk 0700 2/15 about a month ago and would have to travel today. My wife said valentines day can be any day we want. I don't deserve her but she sticks around. Very lucky for that.

Today is also 'Cupid's birthday...... :lol:

Me and the Bunkhouse Boss have enjoy Val day for 39 years.   

If love was bliss..... I would be a big blister.

And I might add that its been the best 5 years of her life..... :lol:

Happy Valentines Day to all the Wire Ladies.  You all make us old saddle tramps feel good..... :wub:

..........Widder

Uno and I aren't much for Valentines day either.  Our anniversary is in a month so we do our best to make that special instead.  I try to cook a special dinner and we call it good.  He has had to work a lot lately so I bought a card that I would like to receive and gave it to him to give to me.  He laughed and appreciated the thought.

12 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Wow. The first Valentine's day we shared, I was in Germany, and she was in Detroit. After that we have shared all the rest together, all 61 of them. 

Hey BMC.  Don't you think that these children with their puppy love affairs are cute?  Me an Miss Lorri met in 1958. Took me 3 years to convince her I was serious.  The only V Day I was not with her to see her enjoy her flowers was in 1967 and Uncle Sam felt my services in VietNam were more important. I didn't forget though.  I sent some money to a  relative and she bought the 1967 flowers.

The Historical and Orthodox Saint Valentine

Published Date 2/14/15 8:00 AM

Now a commercialized holiday celebrating modern Western courtship and romance, the ancient Christian origins of Saint Valentine’s Day are largely forgotten.  The actual Orthodox liturgical Feast Days of Valentinos (Greek)/Valentinus (Latin) commemorate two Early Christian saints, Saint Valentine the Presbyter of Rome (July 6) and Hieromartyr Valentine the Bishop of Intermna (Terni), Italy (July 30).  Although the historical records for these two saints are not complete, and what we do know about their lives has often been subjected to considerable confusion, their martyrdoms are well known to us.  Because of their refusal to renounce their faith in Christ, both Valentines were imprisoned, tortured, and executed around 270, during the persecution of Christians under the Roman Emperor, Claudius II.

Because they shared the same name, were contemporaries, resided near each other in central Italy, and ultimately, shared similar fates, the two Valentines’ personal histories were intermingled and conflated over the centuries, producing inconsistencies and puzzlement in many accounts of their lives.  What most sources indicate, however, is that Bishop Valentine was renowned during his lifetime as a healer of the sick and blind, while Valentine the Presbyter would become notable in the historical memory of Christians, originally both Eastern and Western, as a courageous steward of marriage.  Indeed, because of his connection to the sacrament of marriage, it would be the latter Valentine, the Presbyter from Rome, who would serve as the inspiration for the Late Medieval Western literary foundations for what would by the nineteenth century evolve into today’s popular, secular Valentine’s Day.

According to the most common narrative, Presbyter Valentine, a priest in Rome, drew the ire of Emperor Claudius by ignoring the imperial ban against allowing men who had not fulfilled their military obligations to the Empire to marry.  Remaining loyal to his moral commitment and beliefs as a Christian priest, Valentine refused to compromise the sanctity of marriage to the will of the state.  In defiance of imperial edict, Valentine continued to unite and bless Christian couples, which were legally barred from marrying.  This association with young Christian beloveds became the muse over several centuries for an increasingly fictionalized, romantic expropriation and reconstruction of Saint Valentine in the West, one that has led to the modern Saint Valentine’s Day.  Indeed, the memory of Saint Valentine became so distorted and uncertain over the centuries, that the Roman Catholic Church ended its commemoration and veneration—traditionally associated with mid-February in the West—of him as a calendar saint in 1969, effectively surrendering the historical Valentine to his appropriation and exploitation by Western popular culture.

As in other matters of reverence and faith, the Orthodox Church’s veneration of Saint Valentine remains immutable.  Secularization in the West accounts in large part for the Papacy’s move to discard the memory of Saint Valentine’s martyrdom in the face of commerce and frivolity, but Orthodoxy still honors Saint Valentine, the Presbyter from Rome, for his martyrdom—and as for all its saints, the Orthodox Church honors St. Valentine as a model of the life in Christ. 

For Orthodox Christians, Saint Valentine’s Day is most fully understood as a celebration of romantic love and of God’s love.  Indeed, Valentine was willing to sacrifice his life not for Eros but in order to sanctify and make whole the union of young couples through the blessing of God’s love.  Demonstrating our love for God and reaching our fulfillment in Christ through our relationships with our spouses, families, and communities, is a way of life that is at the heart of Orthodoxy.  By living a life in emulation of Christ, Saint Valentine shared this fundamental truth of Orthodox Christianity with the world, one that is more beautiful and lasts longer than flowers and cards—it is eternal.                                        

Dr. Alexandros K. Kyrou is Professor of History at Salem State University, where he teaches on the Balkans, Byzantium, and the Ottoman Empire.

10 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Had one before we were married, 51 more before she passed and this will be the 4th since then.

Started out with eleven short stemmed red roses and a white carnation and only missed the year I was in 'Nam...bur sister pitched in for me.

I couldn't afford long stemmed roses and a white carnation was my fraternity's official flower.  After the first couple of years it became a tradition.  I ordered them Thursday and picked them up this morning.  They'll be on the breakfast table before sun up tomorrow.

Can I give you a big 'ol hug!!!:wub:

41 minutes ago, Noz said:

Hey BMC.  Don't you think that these children with their puppy love affairs are cute?  Me an Miss Lorri met in 1958. Took me 3 years to convince her I was serious.  The only V Day I was not with her to see her enjoy her flowers was in 1967 and Uncle Sam felt my services in VietNam were more important. I didn't forget though.  I sent some money to a  relative and she bought the 1967 flowers.

We can't help it that we were in 1st grade while you were in Vietnam!

But I surely love and respect that you were...and grateful that you served!!!

Puppy love don't quite get it....

Juvenile love???

Thinking back when we were married in Tombstone [ 2015 ] on the 20th Feb we could have made it the 14th & had the 2 for 1 scenario..my beautiful McGinty as I say to her 'If I was a sheik I wouldn't trade you for all the Camels in the world''.  :P I treasure what we have & thank the universe for bringing us together..luv' ya babe.

Mine  doesn't make a big deal out of it. She just told me to get her a datebook/calendar that she can keep in her purse. I got it for her and a card. Tonight I went out to pick up some of her habit( ramen noodles,chicken type) and found her some thin mint type cookies( she was a Girl Scout).We've got 44 years into this union so far.:blush:

On February  14th Arizona became the 48th state, 109 years ago (1912). Happy Valentines Day Arizona. :wub:

Archived