SASS Wire Forum

Mannlicher- Schoenauer ammunition

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I just got thirteen rounds on 8x56 MS ammo from Willie B.  Twelve are commercial soft point rounds with about 200 grain bullets, and one is a military round that looks right, but I can't decipher the head stamp.  The bullet is about 3/8 inch longer than the others.

Willie B., I can't thank you enough.  Anyone who lives near Willie and knows him well enough, take him to lunch for me and send me the tab.

The gun is at the gunsmith's awaiting scope rings to go with that d--ned claw mount base and the arrival of a Weaver K2.5-1 scope I found on e-bay.  Then a custom sling and a decent gun case and I'll be the owner of the finest looking rifle in Arizona.

Thanks to everyone who's tried to help on this.  It is greatly appreciated.

39 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I just got thirteen rounds on 8x56 MS ammo from Willie B.  Twelve are commercial soft point rounds with about 200 grain bullets, and one is a military round that looks right, but I can't decipher the head stamp.  The bullet is about 3/8 inch longer than the others.

Willie B., I can't thank you enough.  Anyone who lives near Willie and knows him well enough, take him to lunch for me and send me the tab.

The gun is at the gunsmith's awaiting scope rings to go with that d--ned claw mount base and the arrival of a Weaver K2.5-1 scope I found on e-bay.  Then a custom sling and a decent gun case and I'll be the owner of the finest looking rifle in Arizona.

Thanks to everyone who's tried to help on this.  It is greatly appreciated.

For new brass:  https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/4900

https://www.rccbrass.com/product/8x56mm-mannlicher-schoenauer/

Hey, Tom... does that thing use en bloc clips?  :huh:

And how 'bout a picture when you get it back!  :)

Edit:  If it does use clips, do they look like this?

1048064066_MSClip.thumb.jpeg.733163229bec874b5ae075573245481e.jpeg

10 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Hey, Tom... does that thing use en bloc clips?  :huh:

And how 'bout a picture when you get it back!  :)

Edit:  If it does use clips, do they look like this?

1048064066_MSClip.thumb.jpeg.733163229bec874b5ae075573245481e.jpeg

No, that’s a clip for a Mannlicher style magazine the Mannlicher Schoenauer has a Schoenauer style rotary magazine.

Archived