SASS Wire Forum

Magnet attracting ammo. Non CAS

Dawg Hair, SASS #29557

Thanks guys.  Sparks from steel target frames I can understand, and steel cases, of course, is a given.  But I'm talking magnet attracting bullets in a range where all the target frames are/were wooden with a very large dirt bern behind.  Specifically I was using surplus 30-06 ammo from the CMP for my M1 Garand.  

Just curious.   

53 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Thanks guys.  Sparks from steel target frames I can understand, and steel cases, of course, is a given.  But I'm talking magnet attracting bullets in a range where all the target frames are/were wooden with a very large dirt bern behind.  Specifically I was using surplus 30-06 ammo from the CMP for my M1 Garand.  

Just curious.   

Sparks can be created from rocks also. ca (always lc ca!) has had brush fires started from same.

58 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Just curious.   

It might be an insurance requirement. 

Also, wood frames have metal fasteners and angle irons. Don't laugh. While pulling targets in the Army, I saw round bullet holes in metal angle irons in the lower right of the frame. I doubt that trooper qualified that day. 

Bullets that attract magnets have a steel core. That steel core punches through a lot of target backers, steel plate etc.  Lead core which most people are used to expands or breaks up. Steel core (often called penetrator, or armor piercing, or other terms) is very damagint to most backstop amterial.

Besides certain ranges prohibiting it, certain sports do too. And it is just the bullet they care about. I have not found a range (or sport) that cares about steel cases. My AK was made for steel-cased ammo.

The magnet test will identify steel core ammo which can damage steel.

There is other ammo which is weakly magnetic. This is not armor piercing or especially damaging to targets... It is just crappy bullet alloy (IMO). But the magnet test wins. Even weakly magnetic ammo is prohibited under those rules.

I have a bunch of 7.62 steel case weakly magnetic bullet ammo which I use for plinking where allowed, and I also have a bunch of steel-cased 7.62 non-magnetic bullet ammo which I use at restricted ranges and for competition. Both made by Wolf, just different part numbers. Neither is marketed as armor piercing or specially damaging, and the weakly magnetic bullet type is also cheaper which suggests is is not special except possibly for using some cheap alloy for the bullets... It might not be steel since steel has a very high melting point compared to lead...

Maybe nickel (weakly magnetic and used to strengthen some silver jewelry)? Maybe some scrap left over from some other industrial process with a melting point close to lead? IDK, but I'm not going to get kicked off a range or out of a competition over it.

Archived