SASS Wire Forum

44-40 Ammo Prices

Savvy Jack

2 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

The other way to say it is you own hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars worth of 44-40 ammunition.

Just don't let Congress know or they will start taxing it.

1 hour ago, Savvy Jack said:

Wow, just wow!!!!   Never thought I would ever see $45 Cowboy loads selling for $100. Unbelievable. Darn good thing I don't need any.

I don't shoot the 44-40 myself but I have read most of your threads about loading it and using it. most informative, especially to a novice such as myself. thanks. That said hasn't 44-40 and also 38-40 been very high priced for quite some time? and what would be a "normal" price for those rounds? It has been a long time since I have seen any on the shelves at all and the last time I saw it at Sportsmans I think it was around $55 or maybe even $60 last march.

Regards (and keep posting please)

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Lately I've seen 45 Colt Remington cowboy loads priced at $119.95/50 round box. Makes that 44-40 almost seem like a bargain. ;)

10 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Lately I've seen 45 Colt Remington cowboy loads priced at $119.95/50 round box. Makes that 44-40 almost seem like a bargain. ;)

Holy cow! I must be living a sheltered life!

First there is nothing on the store shelf to compare to.

Second I have not used factory anything in my guns in years, I load everything I shoot except 22.

Third the last factory ammo I bought was at least 10 years ago and is still in my storage cans. ex. 9mm marked $7.99, 40 S&W marked $9.99, 44 mag marked $15.49.

Even 22's marked 99 cents.

Don't know how you guys can afford it.

All the best

Gateway Kid

I don't afford it. I reload. No other way unless your name is Buffet.

37 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I don't afford it. I reload. No other way unless your name is Buffet.

Yeah, that guy just sells a few records and can buy all the ammo he wants.

I saw some on mewe. Fellow wanted $250 for 3 boxes. However they were vintage. Im thinking from the 60s or 70s. All ammo of any caliber right now is at a premium. I have friends trying to buy my reloads at what id consider ridiculous prices. 

4 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Holy cow! I must be living a sheltered life!

First there is nothing on the store shelf to compare to.

Second I have not used factory anything in my guns in years, I load everything I shoot except 22.

Third the last factory ammo I bought was at least 10 years ago and is still in my storage cans. ex. 9mm marked $7.99, 40 S&W marked $9.99, 44 mag marked $15.49.

Even 22's marked 99 cents.

Don't know how you guys can afford it.

All the best

Gateway Kid

I saw 50 rd boxes of 22lr selling for $15 at a shop the other day. 9mm 50rd for $45, and 40 sw for $60. You might be sitting on a gold mine if you have need for cash lol

Okay, before all this started .38-40 and .44-40  were going for about $45 a box.

I am amazed anyone would pay $45 for a box of 44-40. $100 is crazy.  Reloading is the way to go... well, in normal times any way. Fortunately, I have a lot of components on hand, unfortunately, I am keeping my bubble small and busy at work, so no shoots for me for a while.  

4 hours ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

I am amazed anyone would pay $45 for a box of 44-40. $100 is crazy.  Reloading is the way to go... well, in normal times any way. Fortunately, I have a lot of components on hand, unfortunately, I am keeping my bubble small and busy at work, so no shoots for me for a while.  

Before I started reloading, 45 Colt in late 2000's the two boxes of Winchester cowboy required for a club match set me back $120.  I realized I had to take up reloading to afford to play.  Now this was in Kalifornia were everything is more expensive.

Bought 1,000 rounds each of 44-40 and 44 Russian before it all went stupid.

Also bought primers, powder, bullets, and a few other things. Still need a tumbler, chronometer, and a press (thinking Dillon 750). Would pay for itself in about a year if things weren't stupid.

Speaking of stupid, I left 1,000s of 9mm brass on the ground at the range over the last few years because I would only save 4 cents per reload. Did not have a clue that would turn out to be stupid.

I have gallons of 9MM brass and I'm not sayin how much loaded.

kR

PS I've been loading 9mm for years because I ended up with what I wanted for velocity and bullet weight. People laughed and used to tell me it was a waste of time to reload 9mm then they started wanting to buy loaded ammo then they were beggin me to sell them brass. Now I'm laughin. No, I don't sell ammo.

7 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

Before I started reloading, 45 Colt in late 2000's the two boxes of Winchester cowboy required for a club match set me back $120.  I realized I had to take up reloading to afford to play.  Now this was in Kalifornia were everything is more expensive.

30+ years ago when I started this game in California, finding 44-40 and .45lc was hard to do.  No such thing as cowboy loads.  Reloading was pretty much the only way to get ammo for CAS.  I am not sure that I have ever bought factory ammo for cas.

Yup, me too. 

38 minutes ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

30+ years ago when I started this game in California, finding 44-40 and .45lc was hard to do.  No such thing as cowboy loads.  Reloading was pretty much the only way to get ammo for CAS.  I am not sure that I have ever bought factory ammo for cas.

When I started, I reloaded to play, not to save money. 

On 2/13/2021 at 11:36 AM, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

I don't shoot the 44-40 myself but I have read most of your threads about loading it and using it. most informative, especially to a novice such as myself. thanks. That said hasn't 44-40 and also 38-40 been very high priced for quite some time? and what would be a "normal" price for those rounds? It has been a long time since I have seen any on the shelves at all and the last time I saw it at Sportsmans I think it was around $55 or maybe even $60 last march.

Regards (and keep posting please)

Gateway Kid

Thanks!!!

Actually I have never ever seen any 44-40 factory ammo in any store I have ever been in. I always had to order mine on-line. 

My dad purchased a box of Remington back in the 1960's for $10.
During the early 2000,s 44-40 Hunting loads were about $65 a box and most 44-40 cowboy loads were around $35 a box. I did get a few boxes of Ultramax and MagTech for $35 a box at the time. Last year it was $75 for hunting loads and $45 for cowboy loads. Now it's what.... $150 a box for hunting and $100 a box for cowboy loads and folks keep buying like mad. Primers are about the same too. Was $25 a brick, now $70 a brick....and steadily increasing!!

Archived