SASS Wire Forum

Anyone know anything about a Rabaser pistol?

Grayrock, SASS #64093

This is a picture of what the ammo looked like. Found

image.png.60980e99bce54aa54c141e297d82760d.png

Quick research says the modern equivalent would be surgical tubing and string trimmer line.

Discovered that here

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 6:57:58 PM UTC-5, wan...@gmail.com wrote:
# On Sunday, October 28, 2001 at 8:52:58 PM UTC-5, Skip Clemmons & Susan Day =
# wrote:
# # I have a Rabaser high tech rubber band gun and am in need of ammunition.
# # This gun dates from the mid 80's and is of very high quality manufacture by
# # Wayne Arms Company of Overland Park Kansas.  Do you have a resource for the
# # "Baser band" latex ammuntion or any contact for the Wayne Arms Company.  I
# # can not find a web or phone contact.  Even Google comes up empty.  Thanks
#
# I worked for Wayne Arms and in fact used to manufacture the bands. We would
# use surgical tubing and connect the ends with polypropylene cable. The ends
# of the connecting cable would be given a rough texture using a dremel tool
# and sanding paddle tip we made. We would roughen the ends then attach to the
# tubing using industrial cyanoacrylates (super glue). We also would treat the
# bands using D.M.S.O. (dimethyl sulfoxide) as a softening agent before roughing
# the ends. If you have any other questions let me know. :D

Info on surgical tubing can be found here. 
https://slingshotforum.com/forum/93-slingshot-bands-and-tubes/

Honestly, I only posted the above because it was quite interesting in a very weird way. 
I found the above link looking at this link:

https://rec.guns.narkive.com/uVwgpTQW/rabaser-rubber-band-pistol-wayne-arms-co

This guy shows how his bands shoot but not how he made them. 

Then I found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rabaser-Rubber-Band-Gun-Pistol-Black-EPDM-STRONG-4-Lg-125-Wd-063-Wall-100-Ct-/264005489351?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Thanks for the info. I had already purchased the bands off ebay. I also saw the post from the guy who used to work for Wayne Arms but there is not enough info there to use to fabricate my own bands. I guess I'll just have to use trial & error. I wish I could find a copy of the owner's manual. Apparently, the Rabaser pistol was featured in the centerfold of the Playboy Christmas Gift Guide one year in the 80's. I found that info in an ad for the Rabaser published in American Handgunner magazine in 1984.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I know about the Rabaser pistol, I have four of them. I've been making the bands for a few months now, I have tested at least four sizes of tubing, two sizes of urethane rod, six glues, and countless lengths. I believe I have narrowed down the basic specs on the tubing, it's 1/8" ID with 3/64" walls, the polyurethane rod is 1/8". There is a lot more to the construction, just let me know if you want more details. 

As you've probably figured out, those black rubber bands on eBay are pretty worthless. You really need to experience the Rabaser with a proper surgical tubing band!

Why do you need glue?

Years ago I had a Wham-O Wrist Rocket.

il_fullxfull.845541822_1wpy.jpg

The tubing was not on the slingshot frame when I got it. The instructions said to wet the arms with rubbing alcohol and pushed the tubing on while the alcohol was there. The liquid alcohol lubricated the steel rods and allow the tubing to slip over them, and after it hit evaporated you could not pull the tubing off the steel rod.

I can't see how the rubber band ammo for this gun would pull any harder than the rubbers for the slingshot. So it seems that you should be able to wet the string trimmer line with rubbing alcohol and slide it into the tubing. Then when the alcohol evaporates, they're together forever. Until the tubing breaks.

On 2/13/2021 at 10:22 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

This is a picture of what the ammo looked like. Found

image.png.60980e99bce54aa54c141e297d82760d.png

Quick research says the modern equivalent would be surgical tubing and string trimmer line.

Discovered that here

Oh Great. Now all of the surgical tube, trimmer string and large rubber bands are going to get hoarded.....the horror of it all.:rolleyes:

Look away Allie.

They used to be used for a corrective device by cat trainers.

54 minutes ago, Noz said:

They used to be used for a corrective device by cat trainers.

That brought a lovely image to mind.

You're supposed to train your cat by squirting it with water, right?

I got this lovely visual of the guy in the cage with Barnum and Bailey, with a chair and a water pistol, training the lions and tigers.

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

Why do you need glue?

Years ago I had a Wham-O Wrist Rocket.

il_fullxfull.845541822_1wpy.jpg

The tubing was not on the slingshot frame when I got it. The instructions said to wet the arms with rubbing alcohol and pushed the tubing on while the alcohol was there. The liquid alcohol lubricated the steel rods and allow the tubing to slip over them, and after it hit evaporated you could not pull the tubing off the steel rod.

I can't see how the rubber band ammo for this gun would pull any harder than the rubbers for the slingshot. So it seems that you should be able to wet the string trimmer line with rubbing alcohol and slide it into the tubing. Then when the alcohol evaporates, they're together forever. Until the tubing breaks.

The bands don't use string trimmer line, the connecting part is polyurethane rod such as used for small machine belts. The polyurethane rod is 1/8" diameter, and the inside diameter or the tubing is 1/8", so some type of adhesive is necessary in order to keep the parts joined. In fact, what's necessary is strong and flexible cyanoacrylate (super glue) and the joint must be uniform and free of gaps. When the bands fail, it's usually when loading the gun, and it hurts like holy hell.

Archived