SASS Wire Forum

An Infamous gun.

VERY cool, BQ~!

Back in my early 20's (1975?) for my boss and long-time friend Dona ("Doxna") Johnson's birthday I gave her this sorta-copy.  I put the pistol, a small flask of powder, some balls and patches and a tin of caps in a hollowed out Early American History book.

A bunch of folk from work were on a weekend campout... she asked me to show her how to load it, then promptly shot herself in the foot (ricochet!).  She limped for days, but was so tickled she carried it in her pocket the entire weekend.  ^_^

Just before she passed a few years ago she gave it to my son.  :blush:

2054550633_DJPistol.jpg.707a56dc76fe2f6cbdf0ff6a41f88bf4.jpg

1 hour ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

And seeing the limo Kennedy was shot in.

Brrrrr.

Best

CR

I actually saw that too during the same vacation trip. I started in Detroit with the Henry Ford Museum, which not only had Kennedy's car but also the chair Lincoln had been sitting in when he was shot. For some reason though Kennedy's car didn't give me the same shivers... possibly because it had been cleaned up and the hardtop roof on it.

Good post.

I have wondered more than once why an assassin would opt for a single-shot pistol with limited power over a small repeater like a Colt 1862, a Remington 1863 or a Smith-Wesson Model 1-1/2 .32 RF.

Booth had to know that bp guns can have misfires and that the guards would be after him after he had done his evil task.

in those days i think folks went with what was available , in the end it worked and history was changed , if squeaky from had picked better things might not be the same today , who would pick a carcano for kennedy ? 

7 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Good post.

I have wondered more than once why an assassin would opt for a single-shot pistol with limited power over a small repeater like a Colt 1862, a Remington 1863 or a Smith-Wesson Model 1-1/2 .32 RF.

Booth had to know that bp guns can have misfires and that the guards would be after him after he had done his evil task.

3 hours ago, watab kid said:

in those days i think folks went with what was available , in the end it worked and history was changed , if squeaky from had picked better things might not be the same today , who would pick a carcano for kennedy ? 

The plot to assassinate Lincoln, Johnson, Seward, and Grant was cooked up on the fly. At noon Booth found out that Lincoln was going to be at Ford's Theater, called the 'team' together, put together the plan, adjusted to emerging circumstances -- it was very much a 'bring what you got' event. I can see an actor such as Booth preferring the derringer over a revolver.

The attempt on Seward's life failed because Powell's BP revolver misfired, and a neck brace kept Powell from slashing Seward's neck.

14 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

VERY cool, BQ~!

Back in my early 20's (1975?) for my boss and long-time friend Dona ("Doxna") Johnson's birthday I gave her this sorta-copy.  I put the pistol, a small flask of powder, some balls and patches and a tin of caps in a hollowed out Early American History book.

A bunch of folk from work were on a weekend campout... she asked me to show her how to load it, then promptly shot herself in the foot (ricochet!).  She limped for days, but was so tickled she carried it in her pocket the entire weekend.  ^_^

Just before she passed a few years ago she gave it to my son.  :blush:

2054550633_DJPistol.jpg.707a56dc76fe2f6cbdf0ff6a41f88bf4.jpg

That looks like a CVA derringer kit like the one I built in the 70s. Fun little gun for sure.  Sent me down the road of burning charcoal.

12 hours ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Good post.

Deringers (Yeah, with one R in the middle, total of two.  The second R was added by people trying to take advantage of the name...and it worked for some of them.) were usually sold in pairs.  I wonder what became of the second pistol.

I wayched a program on him getting shot .

They thought he mite of survived the shooting, if people quite putting there fingers in the hole in his head .

It said infection more than anything killed him .

They used spider webs to stop the Bleeding .

That doesn't sound too clean .

Archived