SASS Wire Forum

Cci 500 small pistol primers

evil dogooder

Came across 8k of these.  They are nickle plated.   Other than being harder are they any good? 

27 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

Came across 8k of these.  They are nickle plated.   Other than being harder are they any good? 

No, they suck.  Send them to me and I'll dispose of them.  :P

4 minutes ago, ZigMar said:

No, they suck.  Send them to me and I'll dispose of them.  :P

Kidding aside, they're great.  I use them, but to cavate, I don't shoot anything in CAS that eats anything that uses small pistol primers.

EVIL,

CCI small pistol primers are great.    As to the hardness, I don't know because I think Federal now makes those primers.

Others with more knowledge can chime in, but feel lucky you found em, assuming the pricing was right.

..........Widder

4 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

EVIL,

CCI small pistol primers are great.    As to the hardness, I don't know because I think Federal now makes those primers.

Others with more knowledge can chime in, but feel lucky you found em, assuming the pricing was right.

..........Widder

Makes sense.   They came on a pallet from federal

I have been using CCI primers for years with out any issue in my non-CAS firearms.  I recently tested my "stock" NMV with 15lb hammer springs with both CCI and Winchester small pistol primers and had no failures to fire.  Good to have options.

Back in the '80's when I started reloading, CCI was the only brand I used. SPM in 357, SP in 40 and 9, LP 45 and LPM in 44 mag and sometimes 10.

Cannot recall ever having a FTF with any of them.

Didn't switch to Federal until starting SASS and using very light springs.

Wouldn't have a problem using CCI in any of my more or less stock guns today.

Regards (and good find for you!)

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

My bolt action rifle and the various ruger, Taurus revolvers I've used have all eaten them up just fine.  My current gun, charter arms pro V seems to need double strike on one or two primers per cylinder,  but that could be due to needing to go back to the shop for timing issues, just waiting on getting a backup carry gun before sending it back again. 

I bought a couple thousand CCI primers midsummer 2020.  I have two Ruger Vaqueros and a Uberti '73, all tuned by a well-known East coast gunsmith, and all use .38 Special ammo.  I loaded a few hundred rounds using CCI primers last summer to test them. 

My experience was that both my pistols and rifle would occasionally not strike the primer with enough force to set them off- let's just say 10% to 15% of the time.   It happened with both my pistols and rifle,  one more than the other but I can't remember if it was worse on the rifle or pistol.  Having said that, it was frequent enough on both  that I couldn't use them in a match.  I've never had that happen with my Federal primers.  I'm sure if my springs weren't so light the CCIs would work fine.  

I plan to use my CCIs for practice and would buy some more if I came across them, just for that purpose.  However, I can't use them during a match, at least with my current guns - I'd be assured of failures.    

I started reloading in the late 1960s. I am sure at some point I have used something besides CCI but I can't remember what. I do know I have used only CCI  for 40+ years in everything I  load and had no problems with them.

Archived