SASS Wire Forum

CZ did it , are we going to see more product out of Colt now ?

Buckshot Bob

CZG (Ceska Zbrojovka Group SE) announced the “definitive agreement to acquire 100% of the outstanding equity interest in Colt Holding Company, the parent company of Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC as well as its Canadian subsidiary, Colt Canada Corporation. The agreement calls for an upfront cash consideration of $220 million and issuance of 1,098,620 shares of newly issued CZG common stock, with a potential earnest considering of the same amount if EDBITDA thresholds are achieved in 2021-2023.

We'll have to wait and see but the Colts you own now will for sure go up in value! Someone on another Colt/CZ thread I started compared it to Marlin JM models.

49 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

So another American company bites the dust 

That might be true, I guess, if CZ chooses to shutter Colt (very unlikely) or move all production overseas (also unlikely).

If production remains in the US, then ColtZ will still employ Americans, pay taxes in some state(s), and contribute to US industry; profits will go to shareholders, some of whom will undoubtedly be in the US.

A deal that keeps manufacturing jobs in the US is, all other things being equal, a good deal.  Let's wait to see what they actually do with the business before we start throwing stones.

LL

What sense would it make for a company like CZ to buy a business for millions of dollars and then shut it down?

This isn't some lame movie script where a deranged corporate bigwig buys up businesses to shut them down to monopolize a segment of manufacturing.

CZ has never been in any business "danger" from Colt. By buying Colt they acquire more factories to build more guns.

Here is a late news story with some details on the purchase.

https://www.reuters.com/article/czg-colt/corrected-czech-gunmaker-czg-buys-colt-in-cash-and-stock-deal-idUSL1N2KH3HO

1 hour ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

I for one, am excited. I love Colt Guns and I love CZ guns. I'm looking forward to acquiring a ColtZ SAA.

I am also , with the custom CZ pistols the make and how good the Dan Wesson 1911’s are I’m betting we will see a busy colt custom shop . Probably more sponsorship of shooting events . I could easily see them building a sass set of revolvers,  CZ caters allot o the shooting sports. There may be some confit between DW And the colt 1911 for them . Right now one has the name and the other the quality 

6 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

with a potential earnest considering of the same amount if EDBITDA thresholds are achieved in 2021-2023.

That line there will determine what new Colt will make, how many, and where. The demand for $2,000 Colt SA's is waining just like SASS. Unless you're buying a collectible why not get a Uberti clone? Why was Colt failing, high labor costs, poor management, a steadily declining market, or local cost to produce limitations?

I offer all of those were killing Colt.

Why did Colt stop making the civilian Ar-15. Same reasons and the market was saturated with guns of equal or better quality for less money.

Maybe CZ will reconfigure the line and make other guns of their design that fit the market better. The underlying thing is the business "has" to make a profit.

Never had a CZ. Don’t really care who makes a gun as long as it’s high quality.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Never had a CZ. Don’t really care who makes a gun as long as it’s high quality.

My only CZ is a Model 457 Lux .22 lr. It is a beautiful rifle, accurate, and top quality all 'round.

Fine firearms have been an international business for centuries, and the Czechs have always been among those at the top.

11 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:
CZG (Ceska Zbrojovka Group SE) announced the “definitive agreement to acquire 100% of the outstanding equity interest in Colt Holding Company, the parent company of Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC as well as its Canadian subsidiary, Colt Canada Corporation. The agreement calls for an upfront cash consideration of $220 million and issuance of 1,098,620 shares of newly issued CZG common stock, with a potential earnest considering of the same amount if EDBITDA thresholds are achieved in 2021-2023.

I see that there is a Canadian connection.  Is it pronounced C Zee or C Zed ?  Asking for a Canadian friend.

30 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

I see that there is a Canadian connection.  Is it pronounced C Zee or C Zed ?  Asking for a Canadian friend.

No idea I’m not a Canuck . Or a UP’er , UP’er is close to Canuck , A 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

......... the only correct pronunciation is ZED !    ^_^

Just now, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... s'pose that's ok, ........ if you want to be wrong ..... :huh:

I once told my old boss I was only right often enough to screw up my average.

11 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... s'pose that's ok, ........ if you want to be wrong ..... :huh:

I suppose that it would be "zed"...if the company were founded or organized in part of the Empire; it is, however, a Czech outfit, and z's are silent. ;)

LL

Don't know if that's a good thing or not. When I shot lots of IPSC some 30 years ago a lot of the hot shots used those CZ75's (?) to build .38 Supers on cuz they held more rounds and still make major caliber. Most of the boys that used them alot had 2 or 3 of them so they could have one operational while the others were in the shop, kinda like junker cars. They didn't hold up too well to lots of rounds on a regular basis and were always breaking. I stuck with my Colt 1911s. Like SASS I never was a top flight shooter anyway so it made little difference.

JHC

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I suppose that it would be "zed"...if the company were founded or organized in part of the Empire; it is, however, a Czech outfit, and z's are silent. ;)

LL

Nope. It's just a sideways misshapen "h"!:ph34r:

Before the U.S. officially entered WWII, a number of Americans went to Canada to volunteer for the RCAF or the RAF.  This was against the law!  To determine if any of the potential volunteers were really Americans, the officials asked the prospective volunteer to recite the alphabet.  When they came to the last letter, if the guy said "Zee", they were sent back to the U.S.  If they said, "Zed", they were accepted.  I had a late cousin who "went North", said the right thing and was accepted.  He served with the American Eagle Squadron in the RAF, and then transferred back to the U.S. Army Airforces when we entered the war.  He served in the U.S. Air Force until he passed from cancer.  So, if you go to Canada, the answer is "Zed".  (BTW, some cousins up there call gasoline "gazz". :rolleyes:

On 2/12/2021 at 10:01 AM, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

That might be true, I guess, if CZ chooses to shutter Colt (very unlikely) or move all production overseas (also unlikely).

If production remains in the US, then ColtZ will still employ Americans, pay taxes in some state(s), and contribute to US industry; profits will go to shareholders, some of whom will undoubtedly be in the US.

A deal that keeps manufacturing jobs in the US is, all other things being equal, a good deal.  Let's wait to see what they actually do with the business before we start throwing stones.

LL

The point I was making is that Colt is like Winchester no longer an American company 

22 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

The point I was making is that Colt is like Winchester no longer an American company 

And my Winchester is a damn fine rifle. 

56 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

But is it a Winchester or Moroni

You mean Miroku? Probably, but they are a nice rifle!

Archived