SASS Wire Forum

For you 45//70 experts info requested

G W Wade

After a week and a half of below zero days and 4 or 5more to go.   No casting or reloading to do.   Set the cleaning and sorting gear.    I have 2 boxes of 45/70 reduced capacity brass.   Box says Gaintwist Barrel Co.   Rifle Works and Armory   113W Yellowstone Ave,    Cody, Wy   Limited instructions say light load such as 23 grs  IMR 4198 with a 405 lead.    The  cases are very heavy.  The neck is normal but 1/2 inch down it jumps down to approx 5/16" hole  to the flash hole..    Think they were combined with Ballard and another company      Any help or interest      GW

7 minutes ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

G.w, didn't you ask this question in 2018? I was doing a search since I have never heard of this before and came across this 

Rafe

Yup that was me.  New people wander in over time and find more about them      GW

Well, yeah, that would certainly be a reduced capacity case.    I have no data for that case, so I would suggest you try the load that the instructions called out.  :o  You sure can't seat a bullet very far into the neck.  

You sure they are worth messing with and worth FOREVER keeping clearly separated from your other 45-70 cases?    Now that Trail Boss is available for a reduced load in standard 45-70, these cases are obsolete by all measures I would consider.

Collector value probably exceeds functional value...

Good luck, GJ

Archived