SASS Wire Forum

22LR counterparts

Cottonmouth Mark

Well I picked up my Henry 22 a few years ago after helping a new kid sight his in at the range. Such a sweet little rifle, when I came across one on the used rack, I grabbed it.

Spoke with my ‘smith about the Wrangler after he finished tuning one for a cowboy.

He says they are ok, but have allot of cast parts and not likely to tolerate the heavy, high volume use that we put our guns through.

I recently acquired a pair of Cimmeron/Chiapa Plinkerton.22’s. 

‘73 SAA design. I don’t much care for the plastic grip panels, but the actions are pretty nice in their stock condition.  I’m going to look for replacement grip panels, but likely to leave internals alone until they’ve seen at least a few hundred rounds.Seems they also have lots of cast parts as well.

I also have a Stevens Visible Loader. Neat little rifle that’s fun to shoot, but the only thing that is reliable about it is it’s tendency not to feed consistently. Not a race gun. As for a match rifle in .22, I have a couple Golden Boys. The one that’s been fired is smooth as can be. The other I intend to keep as new until the Grandson is old enough to appreciate it.

As for a shotgun, I still have nearly 1,000 factory Winchester AA’s and components to load about that many more. Probably won’t need to worry about that aspect of the game for a good while.

45 minutes ago, Cottonmouth Mark said:

Still looking for a CAS gunsmith recommendation for the Wranglers. 

First the disclaimer... I am not a gunsmith, I am not a gunsmith, I am not a gunsmith.

Haven't heard of anyone specializing in the wranglers but now that there is a need someone probably will.

That said I do all my own work on 73's (short stroke, smoothing etc) and replacement of any springs/broken parts on my Vaqueros.

More than that I send out to a real gunsmith.

The exploded parts diagram in the owners manual is plenty detailed to figure out disassembly/reassembly of the wranglers.

I simply ran about 300 rounds through each, took them apart and polished any marked up areas. Did that twice, may do it again. I did replace the springs with a pair that I have no idea where they came from as well and intend to eventually get some single six 17/30 kits from Wolf along with some lighter springs that I would actually know what the poundage was.

My loading gate is not the best (pretty stiff) but in practice I run my Vaqueros at about 4.3-4.5 for a 5 target sweep and the wranglers are smooth enough to get 5.0 repeatedly. (16x16 targets at about 9-10 yards)

Admittedly none of the top guns are shaking in their boots but good enough for me.

So if you are mechanically inclined (even a little) you could probably take care of the basics yourself.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

What mini shotgun would team up with the .22s well?  I have been looking for a 410 hammer double BUT the prices are always very high and the barls are always that much long also!  As to the barl length, I can deal with the long as they are actually very beautiful but the going prices are comparable to new CZ or close to the new Pedersolis, unrealistic for Ross's but I must admit that owners apparently never shot them very much as all seem to be pristine.  I have a 20ga Rossi hammer gun but think the .410 would match up better for the .22s???

Don't know if they ship, but Parro's in Vermont currently has 8 Wranglers in stock for $199 each. Bought mine there a few weeks ago and they only had 5 bronze ones. I wanted the black, oh well.

https://www.parros.com/copy-of-new-shotgun-s

Scroll down to new handguns.

1 hour ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

What mini shotgun would team up with the .22s well?  I have been looking for a 410 hammer double BUT the prices are always very high and the barls are always that much long also!  As to the barl length, I can deal with the long as they are actually very beautiful but the going prices are comparable to new CZ or close to the new Pedersolis, unrealistic for Ross's but I must admit that owners apparently never shot them very much as all seem to be pristine.  I have a 20ga Rossi hammer gun but think the .410 would match up better for the .22s???

I would rather shoot a 20ga then a 410. Ammo is cheaper too. 

I came across a pretty little used Stoeger 20Gauge with 26" barrels last year and grabbed it up. It is my backup gun. And ammo is a LOT easier to find [even now] than .410.

Archived