SASS Wire Forum

Trading Colts?

DeaconKC

Okay folks, I want your opinions on this. I had a list of Grail Guns that I finally did fill. One of them was to own a genuine Colt SAA, but began to doubt I ever would. A couple years ago I was able to trade for a nickel 1905 Bisley in .38-40. But due to it's rarity, I have never shot it. So I am debating about possibly looking for a trade for one I would shoot! So probably a 2nd or 3rd generation model in either .44-40 or .45 Colt. You folks that own some give me some advice.

4CPtRB8.jpg

bTx5TUc.jpg

You would have a blast.  Have several firearms I collected but none are more precious than the ones I shoot.  There are many shooters in SASS that just like shooting the earlier firearms.  There is something in SASS for everyone.  See you on the range.

Won't be loading BP, but am ready to load 38WCF. Just didn't want to have a 3rd caliber to worry about as I'm already set for matching guns in .44-40 and 45 Colt.

ARRRGH!

Don't let loading one more caliber stop you from enjoying your Colt.  The 38WCF is the best kept secret in SASS.  Loads like the 44WCF with a 180 hr pill.

Dont let different calibers keep you from shooting it in a match. Last match I shot a 9mm conversion Ruger BH and a .44 SBH.  Playing and using up nonmatch ammo that would have otherwise slept in an ammo box for who knows how long. If it aint NITB shootit.

Imis

Keep the Bisley and shoot it. That's said, you couldn't have picked a worse time in history to procure everything needed to reload a new caliber. I am in the process of trying to do the same thing on a few ever rarer caliber cartridge's and it is crazy. The availability is null and prices insane.

A factory letter might help you make the decision.  If that revolver is in its original configuration and the nickel is also the original finish that Colt could easily be worth a lot more than any 2nd or 3rd gen Colt in a more common caliber like 45colt.  If that is not the original configuration/finish you might as well shoot it seeing as you already load 38-40.

23 minutes ago, Grass Range said:

Grail guns?

Yeah, I had 5 guns I wanted to own, a Colt SAA, a S&W Triple Lock, Tommy Gun, Luger and C96 Broomhandle Mauser. I have collected them all and did enjoy the trip. The Triple Lock was the last one I acquired.

I do like the Bisley grip as I have large hands and I can get all my fingers on it.

1 hour ago, Grass Range said:

Grail guns?

As in, the Holy Grail, hard to obtain for one reason or another. For me, it's the lack of funds. My Grail gun is a 1st generation acid-etched panel Colt SAA Colt Frontier Six-Shooter that hasn't been buffed, re-blued or bubba-ed with in any way, all honest wear, there by making it a $5,000 or more gun.

I have never fired a Bisley, but I have handled one.   I personally found the grip to be awkward, so in spite of thinking that they are really cool looking, I've never obtained one.   That being said, if the grip works for you, then just shoot it.   It was meant to be fired.

Or, trade it for a Schofield to go with your Scofield.   I like pairing them when the circumstances permit.

The Bisley was made for a specific shooting style; wrist and elbow bent. See the photo of Pancho Villa shooting one in the match stance.

https://gunsmagazine.com/handguns/the-bisley-revolver/

Pancho Villa Shooting a Bisley (2).jpg

Based on your pictures, I do believe the finish on your Colt is not original.   The corners around the frame screw holes appear to be rounded off from polishing instead of squared off like an original Colt would be.   If it were mine, I would take it to a good gunsmith who does refinishing and ask his opinion.  If it has been refinished by someone other than Colt the value is definitely diminished.  A Colt factory letter would also help to determine how it was shipped from the factory.

Archived