SASS Wire Forum

Just Wondering

I was just wondering...(no, not wandering...can't really do that yet, because of covid)...

Those of us that own a Sharps. 

I was wondering how many of us bought one, to a greater or lessor extent, because of the movie: "Quigley Down Under"???

I always loved the Sharps rifles...the way they looked...and the "torpedoes" they shot. To me, they are the zenith of power, and accuracy, and is a great looking rifle. 

So, in my case, the movie was the catalyst that caused me to go from liking them, to wanting one, to needing one, to an obsession, to buying one. I now have three, and would not mind having more (But...I have champagne taste, and a Falstaff pocketbook). More's the pity. 

So...for me, the movie was the tipping point.

Just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat???

On one level, I really do hate it, that a movie can influence me that much. I think it was called: "brain washing" in nazi germany. 

Oh...by the way....thanks Tom Selleck, and MGM. 

I've had two Sharps, both well before Quigly was first seen.  

One was an 1865 replica cartridge conversion (.45-70) complete with a functioning pill primer device, that I bought about 1978. It was a brute to shoot, the 22" barrels not having enough weight to keep it from just stomping the shooter like a mad mule.  I don't recall the maker but it came out of Florida.  

The second was a replica Hunter' Rifle with a 24" barrel in .45-70 that was better but still no pleasure to shoot.  I don't remember who made that one, either.  I bought it in 1983.

I sold both within a year or two and never had the urge to own another one, but I have fired several longer, heavier rifles in .45-70 and one in .45-120, that were easier on the shooter.

I had a yen for a Ballard (Great rifle and grandma's maiden name was Ballard...no relation but WTH) No. 5 Pacific in .45-70, but I could never get the money together to buy one when there were so many other guns that I wanted more.

I wanted one then saw Quigley Down Under then I really wanted one. 

I darn near had a 45-70 Sharps at a gun show for $425. Not kidding. Guy at a tactical booth selling ARs took one in for trade from some kid that got one as a graduation gift or something. The guy just wanted the money he put out for the AR he traded. 
I walked about 15 feet. Turned to go back to buy it and another guy had it in his hands and pulling out his wallet. 
I still kick myself over that mistake. 
After that the allure kind of fizzled and my interests changed. 

About 1966, bought an original cartridge conversion .50-70 that had a tantalizing provenance (name carved in the buttstock).  Tracked the name for over 20 years, and found it was associated with a young civilian teamster, employed by the Army QM at Sidney Barracks, NE, in 1876-76.  There were five of them issued to employees in the field with the troops. He probably "lost" it or bought it outright, as he wouldn't have carved up government property, nor autographed a stolen weapon.  Since the Army didn't record serial numbers, probably carved his name to distinguish it from the other four.  I have shot it, with light smokeless loads and 450 gr. bullets, but have long since retired it our of consideration for the age of the receiver (1863) and the barrel before it was relined and converted to cartridge.

Stay well and safe, Pards!

no , that was not the motivation , but i did buy a quigly version and yes the movie was a reinforcement to my purchase being a good choice , ive never felt like i made a bad choice and there is nothing id replace it with , hope you enjoy yours as much as i do mine , 

23 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I wanted one then saw Quigley Down Under then I really wanted one. 

I darn near had a 45-70 Sharps at a gun show for $425. Not kidding. Guy at a tactical booth selling ARs took one in for trade from some kid that got one as a graduation gift or something. The guy just wanted the money he put out for the AR he traded. 
I walked about 15 feet. Turned to go back to buy it and another guy had it in his hands and pulling out his wallet. 
I still kick myself over that mistake. 
After that the allure kind of fizzled and my interests changed. 

I had that happen with a very nice Merwin-Hulbert open top, birds head "Caliber Winchester 1873" in about 90% mechanical / 80% appearance pistol.  First day, first of ten or so people in the door, and the first five minutes after I walked into the show, but I wanted to see what else was there, turned, and watched a man count out $200.00 for the gun.  Over the next two days  of the show the only things I bought were a couple of hot dogs and Cokes.

That still haunts me and it's been over forty years ago.

I bought my Shiloh Sharps at a muzzle loader gun store in San Diego for $435.  Although it wasn't because of Quigley, I got it in 1983.  I still have it and have shot the Quigley since 1998.

Quigley was an awesome movie, but I think the 1859/1862 Sharps is the model that "sings" to me.  That transitional design of cap-fired breechloader is too cool.  Would love to have a Berdan's version.

I wanted one before the movie came out, was saving up, and there was about a year long wait.

Movie came out, four year wait, didn't want to wait that long, kinda got over it.

Built an 1885 high wall instead.

After being in CAS for a few years, my posse started an annual Single Shot Steel Buffalo Shoot and, addicted as I am, I bought my first Buffalo rifle.

Sadly, I discovered single shot Buffalo Rifles and .45-70 cartridges are very addictive.

Here are some of them.

Do you think I may need and intervention?

1874 Sharps (Pedersoli) with vernier sight and Hadley eyepiece 013 (2).JPG

.45-70 Springfield 001 (3).JPG

1885 Hiwall in .45-70 with Lyman sight 015.JPG

Rolling Block in .45-70 with Vernier Sight 009.JPG

22 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

After being in CAS for a few years, my posse started an annual Single Shot Steel Buffalo Shoot and, addicted as I am, I bought my first Buffalo rifle.

Sadly, I discovered single shot Buffalo Rifles and .45-70 cartridges are very addictive.

Here are some of them.

Most definitely! You MUST divest yourself of those items that affect your addictive tendencies!

I will send you my address post haste!:D

44 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Here are some of them.

1874 Sharps (Pedersoli) with vernier sight and Hadley eyepiece 013 (2).JPG

.45-70 Springfield 001 (3).JPG

1885 Hiwall in .45-70 with Lyman sight 015.JPG

Rolling Block in .45-70 with Vernier Sight 009.JPG

Yes, send that Rolling Block to DeaconKC's home for lonely rifles.

• 1 month later...

Had a Shiloh Sharps paper cutter in 1981 and sold it in 89.  One of the old Farmingdale NY rifles.  Well made but I didn't shoot it much because - heck it wasn't a cartridge gun.  After the Movie came out I was enticed but it wasn't until I saw their guns in person at the 96 NRA convention that I decided I had to have one.  Took over four years but it was a great rifle - finally sold it about two years ago.

Wanted Sharps ever since I read about the battle of Adobe Walls and then  Yellowhouse Canyon in the Lubbock Avalanche Journal back in the early 60's.   Then I read about some that used Rollers in our area on Buffalo and I was hooked.  So I have both.   It all made me appreciate Quigley that much more.

On 2/10/2021 at 10:50 PM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat???

Yes.

Later (2003) I swapped the IAB Sharps for a pair of Ruger Old Armies.  He was happy.  I’m still happy!

I loved the movie.. never had a desire for a mule-kicker... just not fun for me.
My neighbor traded off his 454 Casull for a 460.. and it beat him to death shooting it.
No thanks... no fun there, either.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

I loved the movie.. never had a desire for a mule-kicker... just not fun for me.
My neighbor traded off his 454 Casull for a 460.. and it beat him to death shooting it.
No thanks... no fun there, either.

Mule-kicker?  Looking at the cartridge you might think so, but it's not.  I was surprised at how soft the recoil is on my Sharps.  Although I admit I'm not loading it up to take down a charging buffalo.  My granddad's Full choke Model 12 kicks a lot harder.

Angus

Admittedly, I do not own, nor have I shot a Sharps... but I am very much aware of how much recoil is in a 45-70, right up there along with heavy buckshot loads, over 50 ft.lbs.

Big recoil isn't my idea of a good time.

Archived