SASS Wire Forum

Headwear

Yul Lose

A couple of CAS pards and I meet for lunch about once a week at a restaurant that defies the indoor dining ban. Today we were sitting there visiting and waiting for our order and this guy walks in with a couple of women. In all of my years of eating out this is the first fake coon skin cap I’ve ever seen on an adult in a restaurant. I asked him if I could take a picture and he said sure.

AD49950A-7522-48A5-AD87-19F50A30A074.jpeg

Just now, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Sportsman's Warehouse sells 'em.  ^_^

Yep, I know, but it ain’t something I’d wear in a restaurant.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Yep, I know, but it ain’t something I’d wear in a restaurant.

You can get a real fur hat from Dixie Gun Works or Crazy Crow Trading Post.  Why wear fake if you can get something better?  The real fur is a bit pricy, but "money is no object!"  (I wonder if I'll ever be able to say that with a straight face.

And yeah, the hat comes off when you come through the door.

Perhaps he was trying to goad one of these anti-fur radicals into a polite discourse on the merits of extracting oil from the ground to create plastics and polymers that could be manufactured into polyester for the making of coonskin caps...

8 minutes ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

I have a real one made from a racoon that used to violate my tool shed, had it about 40 years or so.

You wear it in a restaurant often?:D

2 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

Define often?  I think last time I wore it I did eat at a place nearby. It was 30ish and raining. That was maybe 30 years ago.

One problem is that, due to our generally hatless casual society these days, eateries rarely have hat racks anymore. You can put it on an empty seat if there is one. Otherwise it’s a problem. And frankly I don’t like putting my not-cheap Stetson on rack over by the door where I can’t keep my eye on it. Depends on the area of the country too. You see more of em here than in the Deep South.

My ole pard Buffalo Brady had a skunk skin cap when you posted the nose it made squeaky noises and the tail would wiggle. Hilarious! :lol:

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

And yeah, the hat comes off when you come through the door.

That so called societal tradition has long since vaporized into the past. No hat racks, I wouldn't put my hat on one if there was one. It'd be gone. And if you're in a booth where do you put it? I used to take my ball cap off but now I'd be the only one doing so.

2 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Well, not that different from a bunch of cowboy shooters who wear their hats at a restaurant.  I can't do that as my mother would not allow head gear at the table.  No spurs either.  Kinda stuck.

I never gave taking a hat off or leaving it on any thought, until I noticed that the bald guys were doing the latter. Hubby always removed his hat indoors.

I no longer remove my hat indoors at public venues or establishments. There’s no place to put a hat in most establishments. I will use a chair for my western hats or motorcycle helmet. Ball caps remain on my head. 

I was asked to remove my Navy hat (ball cap with ship’s logo) at a bank a while back. They want hats removed so the cameras can get a good shot of your face. Now we wear masks. I thought it was funny that they wanted the hat removed but the mask could stay. :lol:

I wear whatever hat I have on at the time into the room and to my seat, then it comes off. I've gotten in the habit of hanging it on my knee under the table. Works for ball caps or cowboy hats either one...

Of all the things to be concerned about these days, someone wearing a hat indoors is way down the list to me. Sure there was a time when business's offered a place to put your hat and you could depend on it being there when you left. I wouldn't bet that a several hundred dollar hat would still be there today. I get that it was considered a part of being well mannered but times change. 

According to one protocol site:

Your comfort hat may be acceptable in a coffeehouse, diner, or other casual setting, but if you're going out to a more formal dinner, you should leave it at home, the same way you should change out of your sweatpants. A statement hat, on the other hand, is perfectly appropriate in a restaurant.

Maybe he was making a statement.

..... you may not want to know what my personal interpretation of the statement a "statement hat" worn at the table is ........

... suffice to say that I cannot express them here without a "moderator whomppin'"..........  :mellow:

8 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I wear whatever hat I have on at the time into the room and to my seat, then it comes off. I've gotten in the habit of hanging it on my knee under the table. Works for ball caps or cowboy hats either one...

The snapback strap of a cap hangs nicely on a belt mounted Leatherman.  

At the last shoot held at Possum Trot, I noticed a fur hat hanging on some antlers at the end of the backbar.  I finally got it and put it on. The color of the fur matches my hair color nearly exactly. I wore it around for the evening.  I had many compliments so when Iron Maiden asked if I really liked it I answered with a big Yes.  She said that they were losing the range(town) and were having to dispose of most of the fun items they had.  She said it belonged to her and if I wanted it I could have it. I have worn it to several shoots and if anybody ever asks you if a possum hat is a good choice for summer wear, tell them for me that it ain't. That sucker is without a doubt the hottest head covering I have ever worn.

Good times

".....I was asked to remove my Navy hat (ball cap with ship’s logo) at a bank a while back. They want hats removed so the cameras can get a good shot of your face. Now we wear masks. I thought it was funny that they wanted the hat removed but the mask could stay. :lol:....."

wonder if they made the muslims remove their headgear - here that would get you slammed big time , masks are going to be the new thing from here out - designer masks will cost a bundle and those of us that wont wear them will be called names , 

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

".....I was asked to remove my Navy hat (ball cap with ship’s logo) at a bank a while back. They want hats removed so the cameras can get a good shot of your face. Now we wear masks. I thought it was funny that they wanted the hat removed but the mask could stay. :lol:....."

wonder if they made the muslims remove their headgear - here that would get you slammed big time , masks are going to be the new thing from here out - designer masks will cost a bundle and those of us that wont wear them will be called names , 

I been called names all my life.  Sometimes I've ignored it but some guys have been educated on manners.  Getting too old to do that anymore, but in Arizona it's not so much a problem as other places I've lived.

Archived