SASS Wire Forum

Amarillo, Texas

When we went to Back at Cha a few years ago, we liked the Odessa area and the Hill Country as we made our way across I10.  Coming home, my wife fell in love with a little town called Blossom Texas, not too far from English and T-Bone's range.  Lots of big trees and green grass in late September.

There's Paris, Texas about 25 miles from English that is under 30,000 folks.  It does get warm and humid but it was nice when we came through.  Lots of quaint small towns along the Red River and in southern Oklahoma.  

Cold is a state of mind.  Wisconsin has good housing, low property taxes, as long as you don't live on a lake, there are a number of clubs to shoot at, good medical facilities, good schools and nice people :D , lots of trees, lakes, parks hills and valley and the dairy aire isn't too bad.  Water?  Boy howdy, we have water.  You can't go 5 miles and not hit water somewhere.  You can buy 40, 80, 120 acres and have your own Eden.  I'd look at central, south central, south west Wisconsin were I looking.  Today, the sun is shining and it is supposed to be a high of 12 degrees.  It is a beautiful day in paradise.  Stay away from Madison, and anything within 50 miles of Lake Michigan all along the state.  It is really getting built up along there.  Northern Wisconsin is beautious but up there it can get cold and the snow is irritating.  They may get 60 - 70 inches a year.  That is a far cry from the north UP where they average 120" a year.  Two years ago I think they got 180".  Those people are "different".  I know, I went to school up there for a couple years in the 70s.

Summers are pretty here.  It may hit 90 degrees for a couple days and the humidity may spike at more than 100% for a couple hours but it is mind over matter.  I don't mind so it doesn't matter.  The small burg I work in, 5 minutes or less, I'm out of town and in the country.  I live out in the hills, near one of the highest spots in the county.  176 acres I call home.  The deer come and visit everyday and the turkeys meander through occasionally.   Once in a while we hear the coyotes howl as they move through the area.  The hoot owls hoot, the bobcats scream their lonely cry and the story goes that black bears are moving in the area.  Mom has every songbird known to man at the feeders.

Put on your woolies and make a visit.  Sit a spell and relax.  I've got relations in the Austin area.  I hear tell it is getting to be like Madison.  60 square miles surrounded by reality.  If that is the case, I want nothing to do with it.  All those libtards get me stewing.  I'd like to get to the hill country some day.  Even get to a T-Bone Dooley shoot.  I came across him briefly years ago at a SASS convention in LV.  He is high energy.  

Good luck.  I know you'll do it right.  Has to be better than living in Kalifornia.

Archived