SASS Wire Forum

Titegroup and 12G load

Barkeep Casey

I want to thank Barkeep Casey for starting this thread for me. Final results are 2 thumbs up !!!

If anyone wants to know if you can use TiteGroup for shotgun loads That is a big YES. 

My wife and I discussed the shells after the match as well as watched the videos we took.

Wife's  thoughts were  if anything felt recoil was actually less than the Winchester AA 980fps 7/8ths loads we were buying prior to reloading.

She had no issues with loading, firing or shucking. looking at the videos we could not tell from one weeks shoot to the next any visible difference.

I mixed and matched my hulls using Red AA's, Grey AA's and Green Remongton sts hulls If i hit the knock down it went down not admitting to missing any :-)

Smoke out the end of the barrel on the shotgun were imperceptible. Actually more smoke came out of the pistols and rifle than the shotgun which uses Red Dot.

Would I recommend Hodgon Titegroup for Shotgun YES I would.

My final recipe

13.5-13.7 grains of Titegroup powder allowing for variance of manual scale. 382-392 grains of shot (7/8ths oz) CB4100-12B (Lightning) wads or CB0178-12.

this recipe also worked for 404 grains of shot which I loaded some prior to my 7/8ths bars for my Dillon coming in.

I hope this was helpful 

you can use Titewad for shotgun loads

I recommend Hodgon Titegroup for Shotgun

the shotgun which uses Red Dot

I really wish you would state the name of the powder consistently.  Even in your last post, you mix TiteWad and TiteGroup.  They are TWO DIFFERENT powders!

In fact, looking this last reply over again, you also mention Red Dot as the shotgun powder, too.

That is just plain dangerous for others to follow! :wacko:

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I really wish you would state the name of the powder consistently.  Even in your last post, you mix TiteWad and TiteGroup.  They are TWO DIFFERENT powders!

In fact, looking this last reply over again, you also mention Red Dot as the shotgun powder, too.

That is just plain dangerous for others to follow! :wacko:

good luck, GJ

Apologies about that I corrected the post, but I meant Titegroup. Since there was no real reloading data for what I was trying to accomplish and everyone kept telling me to use Titewad instead why the confusion.  I understand Titewad is a great shotgun powder but when you have 8 lbs of Titegroup and trying to decide whether or not to change the shotgun over to what is left of my 8lb keg of RED DOT and use the Titegroup for pistols instead. Plus I have NO Titewad.  :-) I have my reasons for wanting to keep my Rifle and pistol powder load as it is since several of us that shoot together have the same rifle pistol load setup if in a match something happens we can share ammo and i didn't want to upset that if i could help it.  I will go back and correct any post I may have created confusion. 

If you use CleanShot, you'll find it is very fine, looking almost like mercury when pouring. I have lots of it & plan to use it for shotshells when I run out of Clays. I also use Cleanshot in my wife's 32's. Thanks for the TiteGroup recipe, as I'm pretty well stocked up on it also & may have reason to use it for shotshells in the future.

I highly endorse having a Chronograph. It's really handy when changing & working up loads so you can see exactly what's happening, including the power factor for bullets. I even chrono the BP ammo.

Howdy. Yes I have used TITEGROUP in 3/4 ounce load with listed load. Never doing that again. Harsh recoil snap. PITA to measure such small amount. Not enough volume of powder to hold the wad up in place. TITEGROUP only if last ounce of powder I own for shotgun.  Pistols or revolver loading TITEGROUP work OK for me.

19 hours ago, Max Payne said:

If you use CleanShot, you'll find it is very fine, looking almost like mercury when pouring. I have lots of it & plan to use it for shotshells when I run out of Clays. I also use Cleanshot in my wife's 32's. Thanks for the TiteGroup recipe, as I'm pretty well stocked up on it also & may have reason to use it for shotshells in the future.

I highly endorse having a Chronograph. It's really handy when changing & working up loads so you can see exactly what's happening, including the power factor for bullets. I even chrono the BP ammo.

I have had very good success with Shooter's World Clean Shot, 7/8 oz of #8 shot with a recipe I found here on the wire.  No perceptible difference between it and factory Winchester LRLN.  

Archived